Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New line - thoughts on stats?  (Read 2137 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: New line - thoughts on stats?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »

It’s a shame that more individual parameters can’t be controlled. With mere old-fashioned ADSL2 and A&A’s features, I can set target SNRM and interleave values.

Why do we thing it is that the connection is dropping as opposed to hanging on in there? If it’s a very short-term blip then interleave should handle it, so perhaps interleave is set too low, or perhaps the blip is quite long in duration, and too long to handle. G.INP would help a lot.

My modems hardly ever drop the connection, not unless there’s some work being carried out. That’s even at a mere 3dB downstream target SNRM and 6dB upstream and is in spite of the extreme length of my lines at ~7300m. I’m assuming that G.INP (recte PhyR) is responsible for the high reliability.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: New line - thoughts on stats?
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 10:42:40 PM »

@burakkucat - If I was interested in determining which of those three causes were the most likely for my connection, what would I be looking for? Appreciate that I can't actually change anything as they're all on the Openreach side - just as an exercise for my brain!

If you really "tweak my tail", I would say that I suspect that it is probably a mixture of bullet points one and three. (Outside of the PSD mask passband and "out of range" attenuation for the pair.)

Regarding your example plot, presumably that is for a very good line close to the cabinet?

It's better than that, as both the VTU-C and VTU-R are located in The Cattery and were configured for some experiments.  :D

Assuming that my dropoff as frequency increases is due to distance, although the upper ~1000 tones seem to vary quite randomly compared to the smooth dropoff of lower tones.

<Nods.> A distance and, thus, attenuation effect. The overall look of the plot for your line is more or less that of the average for the UK. (On average, everything is . . . er . . . average.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything