Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Infinity FTTC with Zyxel Bridge Modem & OPNsense  (Read 2758 times)

scrappydoo

• Just arrived
BT Infinity FTTC with Zyxel Bridge Modem & OPNsense
« on: August 12, 2023, 10:09:44 PM »

I’m just wondering whether anyone here uses OPNsense with a UK BT FTTC connection. I have switched out my BT Smart Hub for a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A in bridge mode, with a small OPNsense box doing the routing. The OPNsense router only has two Ethernet ports so my current setup is as follows:

RJ11 to VMG8924 Bridge. Ethernet 1 On VMG8924 to OPNsense WAN. Ethernet LAN port on OPNsense to unmanaged switch. Switch Ethernet 1 to Powerline network. Switch Ethernet 2 back to Port 4 on VMG8924.

The first problem I am having is I am unable to access the VMG8924 through the LAN. The VMG is 192.168.1.1, the OPNsense router is 192.168.1.254. The other is that my upload speeds have dropped from 10Mbps to 0.2Mbps overnight. The down speed remains the same (about 1Mbps less than the Smart Hub).

I have reverted to the Smart Hub for now. I am going to factory reset both the modem and OPNsense tomorrow. I am confident I have got the correct settings for the bridge modem as I followed the guide here on Kitz. I am not so sure about the OPNsense settings. In the WAN settings, I was unsure about whether the 802.1p setting should match the “2” I set in the modem. Other areas I wasn’t entirely sure about were IPv6, MTU and Idle Timeout. In the end, I set my MTU to 1492 and my Idle Timeout was left blank.

If there is anyone using OPNsense with a BT FTTC connection, I would be eternally grateful if they could share the relevant OPNsense WAN interface settings. I am going to keep at this. I am just trying to get as much established before I try again so I don’t tank my already-unimpressive sync speed. If I can’t get access to the VMG8924 through my LAN, I have a HG612 somewhere. I might try that.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 07:00:28 AM by scrappydoo »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BT Infinity FTTC with Zyxel Bridge Modem & OPNsense
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 11:15:51 AM »

The first thing I would test is using a PC plugged into the VMG and establish a "dialup" connection using your BT credentials.  This way you can confirm bridge mode is working properly before digging into OPNsense.

The LAN access is odd, it has nothing to do with OPNsense given its straight into the LAN.  Just make sure its IP address is not in the OPNsense DHCP range, or you can set a static lease even if its never used - just to make sure it isn't.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

scrappydoo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 01:47:03 PM »

Thanks for the helpful advice. Unfortunately, I did a factory reset of the modem and a reinstall of OPNsense before you posted your reply. However, I’ll be sure to follow your suggestion if I encounter the same problem :)

The good news is I am connected again. I also have access to the modem. I suspect your suspicion about DHCP conflicts was correct. I combed through all the settings and noticed DHCP was enabled on the LAN port. For some reason, I assumed that it would be disabled by default in bridge mode. I’ll see how it behaves today. I’ve lost just over 2Mbps on my sync speed (down to 30Mbps) but I’m willing to live with that for the freedom I get from having a configurable firewall.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. I appreciate it!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 10:50:14 PM »

Yeah I think mine synced slightly faster on my modified Home Hubs with OpenWRT than the Zyxel.  More importantly I could run my own scripts actually on them so I could output the stats as json via the web interface.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything