Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for laptop speakers  (Read 3407 times)

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Looking for laptop speakers
« on: October 10, 2020, 07:00:54 PM »

I'm looking to buy a pair of speakers for my laptop (nothing special, listening to my music while I work) and I came across with those cheap and cheerful ones: https://trust.com/en/product/21560-tytan-2-0-speaker-set

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but can someone explain to me how the USB port can provide enough power to achieve 18W ??

Tia.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Looking for laptop speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »

I'd never touch anything Trust, they've always been junk in my experience.

I got the cheap Creative Pebble v1 for my mum and they work fine from a single USB 2.0 port, despite the literature suggesting otherwise.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 10:20:23 PM »

I've had a pair of mains powered Trust speakers for years now with no problems, OK the are not hi-fi quality but have served me OK.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 11:02:25 PM »

I'm clearly not fussy about the quality, but how possibly my USB 2.0 port with 0.5A / 5V can provide such power ??

I was thinking I'd need an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Charger-Delivery-Compatible-Nintendo-dp-B0819KTV96/dp/B0819KTV96/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:04:46 PM by hushcoden »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 11:44:30 PM »

Well you’re absolutely correct: 0.5 A at 5V cannot conjure up 18W over USB, not without a D.C. external supply?

Power in speakers has traditionally been quoted as equivalent into an 8 Ohm load, in other words the voltage supplied is measured relative to 1 = 2.83 V = √8 V equivalent to 1 W.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 01:01:16 PM »

I've had a pair of mains powered Trust speakers for years now with no problems, OK the are not hi-fi quality but have served me OK.

Stuart

That's the thing, the Creative Pebble sound amazing to me and I'm an audio snob.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »

That's the thing, the Creative Pebble sound amazing to me and I'm an audio snob.

Yes but all mine do is play sound for the odd Facebook or Youtube video (not music) and beep or sound warnings. If I listen to music I do it with the hi-fi downstairs  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »

I'd never touch anything Trust, they've always been junk in my experience.
Any specific Trust speakers that you've had a bad experience ?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 09:17:37 PM »

Any specific Trust speakers that you've had a bad experience ?

Nothing recent so they may have improved, they just always used to be the absolute bargain basement solution to "get sound" rather than something you want to listen to for long periods.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 07:55:46 AM »

My guess is that Trust stuff is trash, I am also very fussy about audio.  The trouble with speakers is that the cheap ones I have bought in the past have been horrible sounding.

For something small and portable the Logitech UE series of bluetooth speakers are excellent, they sound good and are really handy.  Even the smallest one sounds excellent for its size, why not grab one on Black Friday?

anything