Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Car USB charger  (Read 6035 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Car USB charger
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2020, 11:50:29 PM »

I’ve had lots of bad experiences with car charger/cable combinations.

Worse of all was one which simply stopped working after a few weeks.  Turned out it had also blown the car’s circuit fuse, rated at 10A.  That’s about the same current that passes through a UK kettle to brew your tea so, unsurprisingly, the insides of the charger plug showed signs of a significant meltdown with risk of outright flames.   :o

Cause was obvious.  All that physically separated incoming 12V from GND was a flimsy plastic rib which had disintegrated allowing a direct short.   That one was clearly an example of dangerous tat, but sold by Amazon, under the ‘Amazon Basics’ branding. :'(

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 04:39:07 PM »

I went through a TON of brand-new cables before finding one to charge my tablet at full current, far too many just don't deliver.

I only buy Anker brand now.
Yes I've been looking at their charges as well as their cables

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 04:40:48 PM »

I’ve had lots of bad experiences with car charger/cable combinations.

Worse of all was one which simply stopped working after a few weeks.  Turned out it had also blown the car’s circuit fuse, rated at 10A.  That’s about the same current that passes through a UK kettle to brew your tea so, unsurprisingly, the insides of the charger plug showed signs of a significant meltdown with risk of outright flames.   :o

Cause was obvious.  All that physically separated incoming 12V from GND was a flimsy plastic rib which had disintegrated allowing a direct short.   That one was clearly an example of dangerous tat, but sold by Amazon, under the ‘Amazon Basics’ branding. :'(
Good heads up I'll not put them on my Christmas list ;)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 10:37:34 PM »

The irony is that I watch BigClive on Youtube and it actually seems a fair bit of Poundland stuff is better quality than Amazon Basics.  I might have to suggest he checks out some Amazon Basics stuff in comparison.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 11:38:27 PM »

My bad experience with the AmazonBasics charger was a few years ago.   After opening it up it was obvious that repeated installation & removal in the socket would lead to fatigue in a rib in the plastic moulding, whereupon the contact spring would be unconstrained and would expand into adjacent conductors and a short circuit would occur.   We had a second identical charger for other half’s car and, on disassembly, the same plastic rib was fractured and hanging on by a thread.

The current AmazonBasics chargers look completely different, different moulding,  so I doubt whether they have the same identical fault.

But equally, I have no confidence at all that Amazon perform any kind of detailed analysis on any of the products they sell under their own brand.   Imo They will simply apply the branding to whatever cheap tat earns them the biggest margin.  Since that time, I try to avoid.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything