Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TP-Link VR2800 on Sky ISP  (Read 4335 times)

jimmyca69

Re: TP-Link VR2800 on Sky ISP
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 09:31:11 PM »

That sounds like a reasonable compromise. One thing I would check though, before deciding to using the VR2800 as a router only, is if it can be configured to pass the DHCP Option 61 parameter in router only mode. On my VR600 which is supposedly compatible with Sky, there is no field in the main GUI for an option 61 string. Instead, it can only be entered during the "initial setup" wizard which also (presumably) sets the device up in modem/router mode.
That sounds like a good price for a new one. There is tons of information on this forum about how to remove any ISP specific customisation if it turns out the one you have ordered has this (clearing ROM-D is the name of the process that needs to be done). There are also johnson's custom firmwares if you want to play with them. In my opinion they make fairly decent routers too, though wifi isn't great (AC1300?), so another option for you could be the VMG8924 as a modem/router and the VR2800 as an access point. Note the VMG8924 does not work with Sky VDSL out of the box, but I have created a simple firmware patch for them which (I hope) should work (see https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25176.0.html).
Sorry yes, that seems like a more reasonable distance for the predicted speeds. My VDSL knowledge isn't great as I've never had it.
Someone more familiar with Openreach's policies may be able to give better/more up to date information than me, but my impression was that Openreach engineers will only reset the DLM upon fixing a fault. If that fault was a bad router, they would then charge for the visit. There may be some new process now for ISPs to request DLM resets in some circumstances, not sure. If not, you may just need to wait it out (unless there actually is some problem on the line, which there could be given your connection seemed to be banded before trying the new router).

Thanks again,

Just a quick update - the VR2800 was stable for another few days so I bit the bullet and put the Sky router back in and did some automated online tests, it picked up router was below min speed and then said it was going to do some further testing. It then popped up and said you need an engineer visit and it then booked me in for the 27th October.

So Sky router left in on the banded 35/20 profile, I am hoping the engineer might be able to see why the line has been banded but it is a bit of a wait. In the meantime, and thanks to your advice, I checked with TP-Link and they confirmed the VR2800 is not compatible with MER/Option 61 when in wireless router mode only :no: so I have decided to return it and look at other options. The VMG8924-B10A is on it's way, and interestingly I think I could use it as a modem with my SR203 as the Sky router has WANoE mode. Otherwise I will look at a MER/Option 61 capable wireless router option post-engineer visit (and hopefully on new settled DLM profile).

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »

Just a quick update - the VR2800 was stable for another few days so I bit the bullet and put the Sky router back in and did some automated online tests, it picked up router was below min speed and then said it was going to do some further testing. It then popped up and said you need an engineer visit and it then booked me in for the 27th October.
I found out relatively recently on my NowTV (essentially Sky) ADSL connection that if they notice something amiss (in my case it was many CRCs and frequent disconnections), and you are using the supplied router, they allow you to run Openreach's copper line TAM tests from the "My Account" pages. When I did this, the test failed with a 'CIDT fault' (though didn't actually tell me this) and they asked me to ring them. It may be that the copper line test has detected something more conclusive in your case, hence they have gone straight to an engineer appointment without you needing to go through the usual troubleshooting steps (test socket, different filter etc) over the phone.

So Sky router left in on the banded 35/20 profile, I am hoping the engineer might be able to see why the line has been banded but it is a bit of a wait.
Yep, if the TAM copper line test is finding a hard fault I'm sure the visiting engineer will fix it and then reset the DLM for you.

the VR2800 is not compatible with MER/Option 61 when in wireless router mode only :no: so I have decided to return it and look at other options. The VMG8924-B10A is on it's way, and interestingly I think I could use it as a modem with my SR203 as the Sky router has WANoE mode.
How annoying, a good decision then to send it back. Indeed, the Sky routers do support WANoE as they originally had to work with the Openreach supplied VDSL modems, and now need to work on FTTP. Not sure why you'd want to do this though, the VMG8924-B10A is likely better in every single way as a router (assuming it works with the patched firmware I linked to earlier, which I'm pretty sure it will).

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »

... the VMG8924-B10A is likely better in every single way as a router (assuming it works with the patched firmware I linked to earlier, which I'm pretty sure it will).

I haven't used one with Sky but can certainly say that on my line the VMG8924-B10A is a great piece of kit. I've tried lots of other modem/routers and the ZyXel always ends up back in service. The only other that came close was a Netgear D6220. The wireless performance was a bit better than the ZyXel but it didn't support IPv6 on my BT line (a known Netgear Issue) and then unfortunately failed after about 9 months in service.
 :)

[Moderator edited to insert the opening [quote] tag which had gone AWOL.]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:10:49 PM by burakkucat »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

jimmyca69

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »

Thanks both

Would the VMG8924-B10A work with Sky (option 61) as an all in one router/modem?

If so then I will definitely try it out as that before purchasing anything else, my only concern would be wireless coverage which is the original problem that started this whole thing! The SR203 was decent but I wanted a bit more and more functionality, if the Zyxel manages it then great

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 10:14:13 AM »

Not out of the box, as the Option 61 entry on the VMG8924-B10A uses the IAID and DUID format, which isn't what Sky use. I made a small firmware patch for it though which, from packet captures, appears to result in it sending the correct thing. If you want to try it, download and install the 'v' firmware version from the bottom of the first post in this thread https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25176.0.html. Then, take whatever Option 61 string you use (something like abcdef123456@skydsl|abcd1234) and convert it to hex (using e.g. https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-hex.html, removing all spaces in the result). When configuring the WAN connection on your VMG8924, fill in the Option 61 DUID field with that hex string and the IAID field with 00000000.

The VMG8924-B10A wireless isn't going to be amazing, but it might be better than the SR203. Nothing to lose by trying it!

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »

Thanks both

If so then I will definitely try it out as that before purchasing anything else, my only concern would be wireless coverage which is the original problem that started this whole thing! The SR203 was decent but I wanted a bit more and more functionality, if the Zyxel manages it then great
Can't answer your question but why not just buy a decent standalone Asus router (eg RT-AC86U) which supports DHCP Option 60/61 using Merlin's firmware?  Hook that up to the modem of your choice on Sky and you're rock and rolling. The wifi on the VMG8924 is nothing special and you will get far better wifi performance on Asus kit. Or if you want the latest and greatest Asus router then go for the something like the RT-AX88U - which is currently on Amazon Prime Special Deal for only £209.99 (usually price around £300).

jimmyca69

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 09:44:23 AM »

Not out of the box, as the Option 61 entry on the VMG8924-B10A uses the IAID and DUID format, which isn't what Sky use. I made a small firmware patch for it though which, from packet captures, appears to result in it sending the correct thing. If you want to try it, download and install the 'v' firmware version from the bottom of the first post in this thread https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25176.0.html. Then, take whatever Option 61 string you use (something like abcdef123456@skydsl|abcd1234) and convert it to hex (using e.g. https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-hex.html, removing all spaces in the result). When configuring the WAN connection on your VMG8924, fill in the Option 61 DUID field with that hex string and the IAID field with 00000000.

The VMG8924-B10A wireless isn't going to be amazing, but it might be better than the SR203. Nothing to lose by trying it!

Great - thanks will check that link out

jimmyca69

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 09:52:03 AM »

Can't answer your question but why not just buy a decent standalone Asus router (eg RT-AC86U) which supports DHCP Option 60/61 using Merlin's firmware?  Hook that up to the modem of your choice on Sky and you're rock and rolling. The wifi on the VMG8924 is nothing special and you will get far better wifi performance on Asus kit. Or if you want the latest and greatest Asus router then go for the something like the RT-AX88U - which is currently on Amazon Prime Special Deal for only £209.99 (usually price around £300).

Yes I was looking at that exact router, I actually have posted on here asking for feedback, as have read some 2.4GHz Wi-Fi issues noted but not sure if firmware solved it.

I hadn't seen the Amazon offer on the RT-AX88U, the only issue there is the size of the thing and fact I would need to re-position it. If I had the VMG8924-B10A setup next to master socket, could I in theory use home plugs to position a wireless router elsewhere? or is that a no no with home-plugs being somewhat unpredictable? I use them now for the Sky Q boxes I have and my home PC and to be fair they perform ok. It is a new build house so wiring is good as well.

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 02:40:50 PM »

If I had the VMG8924-B10A setup next to master socket, could I in theory use home plugs to position a wireless router elsewhere? or is that a no no with home-plugs being somewhat unpredictable? I use them now for the Sky Q boxes I have and my home PC and to be fair they perform ok. It is a new build house so wiring is good as well.
In principle yes, though I have not done it myself. A couple of things to be aware of though:
  • There are several reports of home-plugs causing interference (and therefore lots of CRC errors) with VDSL. Sky themselves found this, hence why they disabled the built in home-plug function in their Q router.
  • There may be some complications with configuring the home-plugs, as they will not be on the same subnet as your main LAN to allow access to their web interfaces. This may or may not be exacerbated by the fact that you will be bridging IPoE rather than PPPoE since this is what Sky use.
  • As you said, if the home-plug link performance is variable, then it will effect your entire internet connection rather than just your Sky Q boxes
If at all possible, I would run an ethernet cable between the router and modem.

The Asus routers would also be my choice were I creating a setup like yours.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything