Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is anyone powering their Zyxel VMG1312 via usb, quite tempted by this.  (Read 1026 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Found these on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ripcord-USB-Power-for-12V-ZyXEL-VMG1312-B-Router/193283988395

DESCRIPTION
Want to power your ZyXEL VMG1312-B Router from a USB port?

With myVolts Ripcord 5V USB to 12V DC power cable, you can power your device from your laptop, phone charger, USB power bank - or even from your Android phone! Anywhere there’s a USB port!

Just connect this cable's barrel end to the ZyXEL VMG1312-B power input and plug the USB connection end into a USB port. Save on bundle on wasteful batteries and untether yourself from the mains.

Not sure what you need to buy to power your gear? Just get in touch! With 12 years in the power game, myVolts has got you covered.
SPECIFICATION
Cable length: 1.5 metres
Power input: 5V USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
Voltage output: 12V
Power output: 9W max
Barrel size: Tested with, fits and powers the ZyXEL VMG1312-B Router

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Is anyone powering their Zyxel VMG1312 via usb, quite tempted by this.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 03:32:52 PM »

Considering the PSU the Zyxel comes with is either 1.5A (18W) or 2A (24W) then nope.

You can see on it the rating is 5V 2.4A input and you're pretty much only getting that from a USB PSU, and then only 12V 0.75A output.  It might power up with WiFi disabled but you'd likely have stability issues and don't even think of flashing a firmware as you'd risk bricking.

USB 3.0 can pull around 900mA/5W max and that's before the losses from the boost converter to get 12V.
There are some exceptions where specific USB ports are designed to output 1.5A for phone charging, but its not that common and still falls short.

Generally I'd assume the minimum you can run a modem/router off safely is the PSU rating minus a guesstimate based on how many USB ports it has to potentially power (obviously you'd have to not be using them).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:41:19 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »

Don't waste your money.  :-X
+1
Even though my VMG1312-B10A psu is a 12V/1A I wouldn't take a chance...

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 07:06:50 PM »

I hear the same sort of thing about running an RPI 3B from USB and i have run mine from USB for a couple years with no issues.

Many of the Zyxels come with 12v/1a power bricks.

Probably fine for bridge mode.

Buying on eBay is pretty risk free. If it doesn't work, return it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 05:49:49 AM »

I hear the same sort of thing about running an RPI 3B from USB and i have run mine from USB for a couple years with no issues.

Many of the Zyxels come with 12v/1a power bricks.

Probably fine for bridge mode.

Buying on eBay is pretty risk free. If it doesn't work, return it.

The RPi depends on what load you put on the USB ports and if you are pushing the SoC hard or not.

I didn't realise those Zyxels were 1A but still a standard USB port can only output 500/900mA depending on if its USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.  So you'd have less than half standard PSUs current at best after conversion.  I'd personally want at least 2/3 of the rated power as its also possible to pull more from some USB ports than they are rated for and fry them.

I have powered a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 off a PoE adapter that only output 1A despite it being rated for 1.5A, but that has two USB ports so I knew it would never hit above 1A unless both USB ports are maxed out.  Its kinda hard to guess when it comes to other components.

So it really depends WHAT USB port.  If its one of those mains sockets with integrated USB ports or a cheap USB PSU, they often can't handle their supposedly rated current and can be noisy with poor mains isolation.  Not exactly what you want for your modem where noise can get into the DSL line.  I'd potentially risk it on some things but not the modem, considering how easy it is to trip up DLM and that the Zyxels could end up being like gold dust going forwards as they are no longer manufactured.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything