Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review  (Read 57630 times)

Guest_1

Re: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2021, 03:39:03 PM »

It all depends on your line and since you are so close to your cab that's probably why you are not seeing the issues, it does does not like my longer line so its being returned.  :( Its nothing to do with it being faulty as I have seen others with issues too on longer lines it seems. Glad it worked for you.

Newfie

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2021, 03:43:08 PM »

Mines going to have to be returned too. I lost 11Mbps on DL and I did gain better download grade on thinkbroadband but upload was F and it’s the fact I had 3 DLM adjustment so I’ve ended up from 64 to 53.
The first drop went to 58, then 56 and today I’m hitting 53.
I also noticed on thinkbroadband the upload test was as it I had constant freezing.
Sadly this does not suit my line so I’ve put my HG612 back up.
Perhaps at some stage the firmware will be improved as it’s bleeding edge at the moment.

I could not see any line errors either. Onwards and upwards as they say.

omegapoint

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2021, 05:09:30 PM »

Switched back to a Vigor 130 for now. Did the packet loss thing again, seems to happen every 8 hours so I'm guessing some sort of memory leak in the firmware.

I'll try to report to DrayTek, though their support form is missing the 166

Newfie

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2021, 06:06:09 PM »

Switched back to a Vigor 130 for now. Did the packet loss thing again, seems to happen every 8 hours so I'm guessing some sort of memory leak in the firmware.

I'll try to report to DrayTek, though their support form is missing the 166

I noticed last night a brief packet loss, nothing severe but I also noticed an increase in latency even though I had nothing on the network, constant throughout the night.
Switched back now to the 612 and it’s showing no latency when nothing is connected. I had high hopes but at the same time knew it would be a gamble as like routers they tend to need some work.

omegapoint

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2021, 06:46:46 PM »

I noticed last night a brief packet loss, nothing severe but I also noticed an increase in latency even though I had nothing on the network, constant throughout the night.
Switched back now to the 612 and it’s showing no latency when nothing is connected. I had high hopes but at the same time knew it would be a gamble as like routers they tend to need some work.

Background latency is more or less the same as my 130, until the packet loss kicks in.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2021, 07:22:19 AM »

As for the packet loss, could this be related to the MTU value, i.e. if you leave the default value of 1520 that may cause the packet loss ??

Guest_1

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »

Since its in modem only mode surely the MTU set by the router applies, not the Vigor 166?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »

Has anyone spoken to Draytek Support regarding the packet loss?

omegapoint

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »

Has anyone spoken to Draytek Support regarding the packet loss?

I've sent a support e-mail this morning.

I did consider the MTU setting, but I can't see why that would only cause an issue after 8 hours of uptime.

Newfie

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2021, 10:47:27 AM »

I've sent a support e-mail this morning.

I did consider the MTU setting, but I can't see why that would only cause an issue after 8 hours of uptime.

I was in modem mode so I would say the MTU setting in the vigor should not be applicable.

Running the thinkbroadband monitor the vigor when the network was quiet at night showed constant latency spike all be it not much but the HG612 shows nothing during night and a hint of the latency spikes.
I also noticed on a speed test the latency on the 166 upload was 400ms plus and the 612 is around 100ms.

Killhippie and myself know each other, he’s on an ECI cab and I’m not. We both experience lower latency on download but also experienced high latency on upload. His thinkbroadband showed F and latency going into the 400ms and he’s changed back to his ECI modem and the upload has returned to around 23ms.

We chatted about our results and that we both suffered lines being lowered due to errors and we both feel the upload is the cause. Download was fine and an improvement but upload is an issue.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2021, 11:18:11 AM »

I did connect a Vigor 166 this morning at 08:00 to my ECI line and also started the Thinkbroadband monitor service, and it doesn't look like good (see attachment).

Not sure if return it or awaiting a new firmware ??

Guest_1

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2021, 11:41:41 AM »

I lost 6Mbps on my download due to 24 hours use on DLM and doubled my ping, I had to remove mine as it was damaging my connection, returning it Friday unless I hear from Draytec. Can you do a thinkbroadband speed test and post the results showing latency in bufferbloat on the upload, as mine was over 350 to 400ms range and this is what I believe caused my issues. Contacting Draytec may also be worth while so the more people tell them the faster they may work on a fix. Until then I cannot leave the unit on my line. The high latency on upload caused issues with video chat breaking up if there is to much background activity, my old ECI is not having these issues and my upload is back to 23ms with a bufferbloat score of B. Sadly my ping and loss of throughput remain, until the DLM god smiles on me.

Newfie

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »

I did connect a Vigor 166 this morning at 08:00 to my ECI line and also started the Thinkbroadband monitor service, and it doesn't look like good (see attachment).

Not sure if return it or awaiting a new firmware ??

Results showing the vigor vs hg612. Top image is the vigor.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:51:50 AM by Newfie »

omegapoint

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2021, 12:00:13 PM »

I lost 6Mbps on my download due to 24 hours use on DLM and doubled my ping, I had to remove mine as it was damaging my connection, returning it Friday unless I hear from Draytec. Can you do a thinkbroadband speed test and post the results showing latency in bufferbloat on the upload, as mine was over 350 to 400ms range and this is what I believe caused my issues. Contacting Draytec may also be worth while so the more people tell them the faster they may work on a fix. Until then I cannot leave the unit on my line. The high latency on upload caused issues with video chat breaking up if there is to much background activity, my old ECI is not having these issues and my upload is back to 23ms with a bufferbloat score of B. Sadly my ping and loss of throughput remain, until the DLM god smiles on me.

I've been advised to select a different modem code (Internet Access -> General Setup) so will be trying that overnight once I reconnect the 166.

My bufferbloat score is the same (A) as with my 130, however my router has a "smart queues" feature so not totally indicative. Ping even under full load is 23ms (8ms idle), however my router effectively caps the speed at ~90% of the sync speed to I'm never fully loading my line.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »

Can you do a thinkbroadband speed test and post the results showing latency in bufferbloat on the upload, as mine was over 350 to 400ms range and this is what I believe caused my issues.
I've attached a test with thinkbroadband and DSLReports: the bufferbloat issue is actually the same I have with my Zyxel VMG1312-B10A
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21