Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review  (Read 57054 times)

omegapoint

Re: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2021, 06:52:12 PM »

They sent me a RC1 firmware. Its made no difference to missing line stats and no difference to slow speeds etc. 10mb down now on a 60mb line. :( support are responding daily though so hope we get somewhere soon.

The speed loss could take weeks to undo once the firmware is sorted as it is likely to be reliant on the Openreach DLM deciding your line is once again worthy of extra speed. Otherwise I'd have gone my speed back when I reconnected by 130 but I haven't yet.

At least once the stats are sorted we'll be able to tell if what is going on.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »

Ive lost around 12mbps but it’s fine for me as 50 down and 12 up is fine. New tech always brings its early issues so hang in there.

Would be good advise if the DLM wasn't such a **** at relenting on its actions.
Some might never get back to the same lower SNRM target.

It's impossible to tell if each firmware is improving performance or making things worse without error counters.

The speed loss could take weeks to undo once the firmware is sorted as it is likely to be reliant on the Openreach DLM deciding your line is once again worthy of extra speed.

Exactly this.

Otherwise I'd have gone my speed back when I reconnected by 130 but I haven't yet.

I believe you need lower errors to get DLM to drop the target SNRM than you do to hold it at its current target.

Sometimes you need to cap your sync lower (or increase your SNRM in the case of Drayteks) to get the counters low enough for the DLM to drop the target. Even if it had previously dropped the target on its own.
Hopefully nobody in this thread has issues getting there sync back where it was.

It would be the single biggest issue I'd be pushing Draytek to fix.
Have they acknowledged the issue or offered an ETA on a fix?

Also does anyone know if the EU model of the 166 has working accurate stats?
If it doesn't have working counters then it doesn't bode well for the UK model getting a fix anytime soon.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

onion

« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2021, 09:22:39 PM »

The speed loss could take weeks to undo once the firmware is sorted as it is likely to be reliant on the Openreach DLM deciding your line is once again worthy of extra speed. Otherwise I'd have gone my speed back when I reconnected by 130 but I haven't yet.

Only thing is, when i plug the broadcom modem in i instantly get 7mb higher sync speed. So something weird is going on. Its not going back to where it was pre 166 destruction, but its notably higher instantly.

Newfie

« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »

No stats are working but how to you verify any results if they are shown? I don’t believe half the stats I’ve seen on routers that work well so I’m not sure how you can verify what you see.

I’ve not asked them to fix or ETA that’s one thing a company never responds well too. Deadlines are rarely kept so I’m not pushing but working with support.

To be fair I’ve yet to see any tech come out as new without issues, from Cisco, ubiquity, NG or Asus. Part of the parcel when picking up new gear and yes there’s a risk of DLM.

I would imagine as it was delayed it’s another product where Covid has had its impact on its outcome a little just as it has with routers.

Guest_1

« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2021, 10:12:37 PM »

Would be good advise if the DLM wasn't such a **** at relenting on its actions.
Some might never get back to the same lower SNRM target.

It's impossible to tell if each firmware is improving performance or making things worse without error counters.

Exactly this.

I believe you need lower errors to get DLM to drop the target SNRM than you do to hold it at its current target.

Sometimes you need to cap your sync lower (or increase your SNRM in the case of Drayteks) to get the counters low enough for the DLM to drop the target. Even if it had previously dropped the target on its own.
Hopefully nobody in this thread has issues getting there sync back where it was.

It would be the single biggest issue I'd be pushing Draytek to fix.
Have they acknowledged the issue or offered an ETA on a fix?

Also does anyone know if the EU model of the 166 has working accurate stats?
If it doesn't have working counters then it doesn't bode well for the UK model getting a fix anytime soon.

I have to say the DLM is not that unrelenting monster people think it is, but yes banding can happen and most ISP's can if you get banded now get that removed, well I know my ISP can anyway. Draytec said it took longer than expected to get the BT firmware and the 166 out, its on initial firmware, I could put my ECI back (plays better than HG612's on my line) but that wont solve the issues present.

Like most routers I have had and beta tested it has bugs and the only way to resolve them is to help. Asking for a ETA will put pressure on any company and then more mistakes get made as they crunch to fix. I had one drop the day after the modem was placed after gaining a dizzying 3Mbps on my line. I can still stream UHD, game and do all the things I could before, yes my ping went up to 15ms from 7ms but thats hardly a disaster. DLM can take weeks to sort issues out but I feel making pre-emptive statements don't always help, so I don't know when and how long things will take sort so I'll sit and wait it out.

Giving Draytec what they need which is space (look at the disaster that was Cyberpunk 2077 was because developers were pushed to hard) Draytec and BT/OR will come up with new modem codes and firmware, in the mean time I shall use the modem provide stats as requested. After all I can use the net, I have still got good enough thoughput a loss on download of a small amount for at least myself is are not a worry. I am sure it will get fixed and like most things I would rather wait for a good patch than a rushed hotfix that causes more issues. :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:15:32 PM by Guest_1 »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2021, 11:44:53 PM »

Only thing is, when i plug the broadcom modem in i instantly get 7mb higher sync speed. So something weird is going on. Its not going back to where it was pre 166 destruction, but its notably higher instantly.

That suggests the DSL driver is completely unoptimised for FTTC.

Any idea if you have a Huawei or Eci cabinet?

Galaleo

• Just arrived
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2021, 12:38:14 AM »

Thank you for all your suggestions - for now, v166 is connected and appears to be stable. I managed to find some time this evening to convince the tribe to use my phone's hotspot while I test a few things.
There was a question on if this is my first 3rd party router - its not, but the first in a few years.

Here is how I got on:

-I'm on a Huawei cabinet ~150m away. Just wanted to validate, as I know this could be a factor.
-Before disconnecting the HG612 3B (unlocked with Howlingwolf's firmware B030SP08), I checked the xDSL status page (attached). I'm not qualified to tell if this is all as it should be. My observation is the lower than expected downstream sync compared to attainable.

Swiftly moving on to the Draytek, connected it directly to the laptop and opened the webUI
-Firmware on the Vigor 166 is the 4.1.1 UK version
-Attempted to connect directly via PPPoE and then realized I have little time to learn how to do this in Windows 10.
-I changed the modem's LAN IP config so that it can work on my router's subnet with a static IP. I'm hoping this might help enable access the webUI later. Reboot and reconnect via laptop
-Left modem in bridge mode, set DSL mode to VDSL2 only, changed MTU to 1500 (reboot again)
-Connect P1 on Vigor to WAN port on router, and P2 to one of the LAN ports (this is also how I had the HG612 setup)
-Restart router, connect laptop to wifi, direct browser to the modem's LAN IP. Draytek login page loaded - at least this works!
-Check WAN status on router UI: connected. Public internet working.
-Back to the Draytek webUI. Sync rate same as the HG612 (59.9mbps down, 19.9mbps up), errors all 0, down SnR is lower (9dB vs 13.9dB)
-I spent a couple of hours checking the system logs on the router every few minutes, connection is still up.

So at least for now it appears to be working and stable. The next few days will tell more.

EDIT/UPDATE: after several hours of stability the WAN connection started to cycle again.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:24:27 AM by Galaleo »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2021, 12:49:35 AM »

No stats are working but how to you verify any results if they are shown? I don’t believe half the stats I’ve seen on routers that work well so I’m not sure how you can verify what you see.

Which modem would that be?

The reported stats from Broadcom chipsets and the Lantiq chipsets used on previous Draytek modems match what is reported at the ISP end.
The stats that show the line profile matches the current DLM line profile.
They are all very accurate.

I've never seen a modem with access to the full Broadcom CLI or detailed Lantiq stats report incorrect error counters.

This Draytek isn't reporting incorrect error numbers either. That would actually be worse than the zero figures being shown.

The CLI also exposes the line stats but there was some oddities in this data and not all of it correlated with the GUI so there may be a mapping or lookup table issue somewhere:

Hey Robbie,

That's the EU version of the 166 yes?
It looks like it has the same 0 error counters as the UK model. Is that the case or was the screen grab taken immediately after sync?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Newfie

« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2021, 07:06:35 AM »

Thank you for all your suggestions - for now, v166 is connected and appears to be stable. I managed to find some time this evening to convince the tribe to use my phone's hotspot while I test a few things.
There was a question on if this is my first 3rd party router - its not, but the first in a few years.

Here is how I got on:

-I'm on a Huawei cabinet ~150m away. Just wanted to validate, as I know this could be a factor.
-Before disconnecting the HG612 3B (unlocked with Howlingwolf's firmware B030SP08), I checked the xDSL status page (attached). I'm not qualified to tell if this is all as it should be. My observation is the lower than expected downstream sync compared to attainable.

Swiftly moving on to the Draytek, connected it directly to the laptop and opened the webUI
-Firmware on the Vigor 166 is the 4.1.1 UK version
-Attempted to connect directly via PPPoE and then realized I have little time to learn how to do this in Windows 10.
-I changed the modem's LAN IP config so that it can work on my router's subnet with a static IP. I'm hoping this might help enable access the webUI later. Reboot and reconnect via laptop
-Left modem in bridge mode, set DSL mode to VDSL2 only, changed MTU to 1500 (reboot again)
-Connect P1 on Vigor to WAN port on router, and P2 to one of the LAN ports (this is also how I had the HG612 setup)
-Restart router, connect laptop to wifi, direct browser to the modem's LAN IP. Draytek login page loaded - at least this works!
-Check WAN status on router UI: connected. Public internet working.
-Back to the Draytek webUI. Sync rate same as the HG612 (59.9mbps down, 19.9mbps up), errors all 0, down SnR is lower (9dB vs 13.9dB)
-I spent a couple of hours checking the system logs on the router every few minutes, connection is still up.

So at least for now it appears to be working and stable. The next few days will tell more.

Sounds like it not dropping any more which is good. Monitor the router to insure it’s working correctly, it should be nice and stable now as the firmware is pretty much matured on the Broadcom chipset side.
See how your connection goes now.

Galaleo

• Just arrived
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »

Good morning! Unfortunately the stability didn't last. after about 4.5 hours of being up and running, from 1 am this morning the WAN link started cycling every 5-10 minutes and continued non-stop through the night.
Router system logs full of these messages:

Jan 21 06:19:16 pppd[6296]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
Jan 21 06:19:19 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Jan 21 06:19:22 pppd[6296]: Connection terminated.
Jan 21 06:19:22 pppd[6296]: Modem hangup
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: Connected to 20:e0:9c:c2:49:dd via interface eth0
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: peer from calling number 20:E0:9C:C2:49:DD authorized
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: local  IP address x.x.x.x
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: remote IP address x.x.x.x
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: primary   DNS address 81.139.57.100
Jan 21 06:19:32 pppd[6296]: secondary DNS address 81.139.56.100
Jan 21 06:19:33 wan: finish adding multi routes
Jan 21 06:19:35 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

I noticed that the Draytek webUI does not have a facility to show logs. Is there a way to easily check these from CLI? I don't know what command to run once logged in via telnet/ssh or where the logs would be...

Swiftly switched back to the HG612 before I start hearing complaints  :D
Will try to find time this weekend to run some tests with the Draytek in router mode.

bkehoe

« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2021, 09:41:02 AM »

It would appear your line has been banded by DLM in the H612 stats page, usually due to many disconnects or high/bursts of errors. This can be seen from the 60MBit sync with very high SNR. So something is amiss with the line if this hadn't happened before you started changing routers, as well as now the possible V.166 issues.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 09:44:11 AM by bkehoe »

onion

« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2021, 09:53:22 AM »

Morning all - kept the Draytek in overnight and got moved again from a SNRM of 5db to 6db so i'm down even more on speed again. This thing is a disaster!

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »

Hi, can you test the baby jumbo frame support please. You will need to set MTU to 1500 (1508).

Linux command:
ping -c4 -M do -s 1472 1.1.1.1

Windows command:
ping -f -l 1472 1.1.1.1

Thanks,  ;D
I tried using my UK model in Router mode on G.Fast but the default setting for the MTU is 1520, which I'm sure is too high.
Some reviews say set to 1500 others 1508, anyone know which is correct?
Whilst the modem mode seems to be tuned for BT use the same doesn't seem to be true for router mode (unless I'm missing something?)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:29:37 PM by smallal »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2021, 12:40:49 PM »

I tried using my UK model in Router mode on G.Fast but the default setting for the MTU is 1520, which I'm sure is too high.
Some reviews say set to 1500 others 1508, anyone know which is correct?
Whilst the modem mode seems to be tuned for BT use the same doesn't seem to be true for router mode (unless I'm missing something?)

1500 for the Vigor 166, 1508 for your routers ethernet WAN port.

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2021, 12:54:27 PM »

1500 for the Vigor 166, 1508 for your routers ethernet WAN port.
Ah, I've obviously missed a setting then!
I only saw 1 MTU setting in the 166, but as it's being used in router mode there must be a 2nd setting somewhere (probably for the WAN)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

anything