Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review  (Read 57847 times)

Newfie

Re: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »

Mines still on so once they give me further instructions I’ll do as they say. So far supports been fast and pretty good.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2021, 06:57:05 PM »

Was it ever confirmed what chipset brand/model is being used?

Intel AnyWAN SoC GRX350 + Intel AnyWAN Transceiver VRX618 (Gen1)

Galaleo

• Just arrived
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2021, 02:32:38 PM »

1st post - Hi all!

I just acquired the Vigor 166 (UK version) and an Asus ax11000 to connect to our current service (BT Infinity 2 FTTC 76/20). We've had this service since 2011 and over the years acquired every model of BT hub as the only fix BT seem to have to any complaint is to send a new hub. As it happens, I also still have the old HG612 3B from years ago.

First, hopefully this saves someone else time as I wasted a good day trying to figure this one out: The 166 UK manual clearly states that the default IP of the modem is 192.168.1.1, this is  :no: It is actually 192.168.2.1
I saw coincidentally that the v130 ip is different and I was out of options so thought worth the punt, and it worked

Second, after setting up and connecting everything together, the WAN connection keeps cycling on/off every 5-10 minutes.
After some fruitless troubleshooting (the Router logs only show that WAN was terminated) and not being able to access the Modem's webui (because of the IP issue I mentioned above), I swapped the Draytek for the HG612 and its been steady for 24hrs without any disconnects.

I will post a follow-up once I find the time to reconnect the Draytek and be able to access the webUI to get more info about why it might be disconnecting (SNR? DLM?). Any suggestions?

FYI
1) the UK version ships already in bridge mode (with service tag 101 configured) so in theory should work out of the box
2) connecting master socket--> v166 modem -->Router
3) The router WAN config was copied from the HH (PPPoE, username, dynamic IP)
4) everything booted up, lights green, internet working but disconnects and reconnects every 5-10 mins

Newfie

« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2021, 03:08:53 PM »

That’s strange as the manual in mine states 192.168.2.1.

Did you turn off the Asus before connection?

On the modem a lot of us have altered the MTU to 1500 as per support recommendation.

Why did you copy the HH info over to the Asus? Surely on setup it will pick up your PPPoE connection and you just type in your username and password and the router will add all the info that’s required to get a connection.

On the box does yours say 166k?
There’s also a sticker that’s says applied area U.K. with the flag.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:26:17 PM by Newfie »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2021, 03:22:27 PM »

1st post - Hi all!

Second, after setting up and connecting everything together, the WAN connection keeps cycling on/off every 5-10 minutes.

@Galaleo Hi! Welcome to Kitz

There's a couple of options here if the rest of the household does not object:
  • Put the Vigor 166 in router mode, enter your username and password directly and see if disconnects after 5 - 10 minutes.
  • Leave the Vigor 166 in bridge mode, directly connect it to a firewalled pc and create a ppp connection using your username and password and see if it connects.
  • Will prove if the 166 is holding the connection.
  • Will prove if the Asus is forcing the reauthentication.

[Moderator edited to fix the two ordered lists.]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:47:39 PM by burakkucat »

Galaleo

• Just arrived
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:08 PM »

Thanks so much for the reply!

That’s strange as the manual in mine states 192.168.2.1.
Perhaps you have a different version?
I downloaded the user guide from here - https://draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-166
On page 15 it says "the default IP address of Vigor router 192.168.1.1"
In hindsight, the screenshots the WebUI posted by @Robbie show the correct LAN IP (x.x.2.1)

Did you turn off the Asus before connection?
Yes. Asus and modem off. Switch on modem, wait for DSL light to be on, then switch router on.

On the modem a lot of us have altered the MTU to 1500 as per support recommendation.
Now that I am able to access the WebUI, I will definitely try it.

Why did you copy the HH info over to the Asus? Surely on setup it will pick up your PPPoE connection and you just type in your username and password and the router will add all the info that’s required to get a connection.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I connected to the Asus once it was up, I made sure WAN connection type was set to PPPoE, entered Username and password, and selected dynamic IP.  I didn't copy anything else from the HH.

On the box does yours say 166k?
There’s also a sticker that’s says applied area U.K. with the flag.
Yes. I definitely have the UK version. says so on the box. Now that I have access to the webUI I can see it also has the OR Service Tag configured.

What I haven't done yet is check that my unit has the latest firmware.

Funny enough, I literally just got an email from BT, "We’ve added BT Halo 1 to your existing package for no extra cost." :lol:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:41:46 PM by Galaleo »

Guest_1

« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2021, 03:42:30 PM »

1st post - Hi all!

I just acquired the Vigor 166 (UK version) and an Asus ax11000 to connect to our current service (BT Infinity 2 FTTC 76/20). We've had this service since 2011 and over the years acquired every model of BT hub as the only fix BT seem to have to any complaint is to send a new hub. As it happens, I also still have the old HG612 3B from years ago.

First, hopefully this saves someone else time as I wasted a good day trying to figure this one out: The 166 UK manual clearly states that the default IP of the modem is 192.168.1.1, this is  :no: It is actually 192.168.2.1
I saw coincidentally that the v130 ip is different and I was out of options so thought worth the punt, and it worked

After some fruitless troubleshooting (the Router logs only show that WAN was terminated) and not being able to access the Modem's webui (because of the IP issue I mentioned above), I swapped the Draytek for the HG612 and its been steady for 24hrs without any disconnects.

I will post a follow-up once I find the time to reconnect the Draytek and be able to access the webUI to get more info about why it might be disconnecting (SNR? DLM?). Any suggestions?

FYI
1) the UK version ships already in bridge mode (with service tag 101 configured) so in theory should work out of the box
2) connecting master socket--> v166 modem -->Router
3) The router WAN config was copied from the HH (PPPoE, username, dynamic IP)
4) everything booted up, lights green, internet working but disconnects and reconnects every 5-10 mins

I had no issues, sadly like you did. However my booklet also stated 192.168.2.1 as the login, You may need to factory reset the Asus after the update, Merlin does suggest this on smallnetbuilder. Also maybe change your MTU in the Vigor 166-K to either 1500 (1508 baby jumbo frames) or just 1500 as that may help also. Also what firmware is the Vigor running? It should be 4.11_BT.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 03:45:35 PM by Guest_1 »

Galaleo

• Just arrived
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2021, 03:44:55 PM »

@Galaleo Hi! Welcome to Kitz
    There's a couple of options here if the rest of the household does not object:
    • 1. Put the Vigor 166 in router mode, enter your username and password directly and see if disconnects after 5 - 10 minutes
      2. Leave the Vigor 166 in bridge mode, directly connect it to a firewalled pc and create a ppp connection using your username and password and see if it connects

1. Will prove if the 166 is holding the connection and 2. will prove if the Asus is forcing the reauthentication.
    [/list]

Thank you, this is a really good suggestion. I might have to setup an alternative home wifi network (5G phone + Wireless AP) in the evening to keep the family happy while I run these tests. I will come back with results later.

Newfie

« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2021, 03:46:09 PM »

I had no issues, sadly like you did. However my booklet also stated 192.168.2.1 as the login, also confused as to why you copied your dynamic IP when after setting up the Asus you would have been given a new IP, also did the Asus give you a firmware update? As most come with older firmware. You may need to factory reset the Asus after the update, Merlin does suggest this on smallnetbuilder. Hope  Also maybe change your MTU in the Vigor 166-K to either 1500 (1508 baby jumbo frames) or just 1500 as that may help also. Also what firmware is the Vigor running? It should be 4.11_BT.  Good luck.

Ah that’s great, is this your first third party router?

Killhippie has suggested a reset as I too am guessing it’s updated it’s firmware on setup like our Netgears routers do and sometimes you have low level code left in the NVram that creates issues so many of us factory reset after any type of firmware update.

j0hn

• Kitizen
    « Reply #174 on: January 20, 2021, 03:53:30 PM »

), I swapped the Draytek for the HG612 and its been steady for 24hrs without any disconnects.

Then it isn't your Asus. Wasting your time factory reseting it.

Until they fix the stats (every single error figure is always zero, Retx is reported incorrectly also) there's absolutely no way to tell if the chipset is stable on your line.

The fact a few users have already had the DLM increase their SNRM targets shows the Draytek has a higher error rate than their previous modems.
    Impossible to know just how bad the chipset/modem performs without the error counters being fixed.

Less of a problem for those on ECI cabinets with Interleaving.
    Not so good for anyone on fastpath or G.INP with reduced SNRM.
    Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

onion

« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2021, 04:14:19 PM »

They sent me a RC1 firmware. Its made no difference to missing line stats and no difference to slow speeds etc. 10mb down now on a 60mb line. :( support are responding daily though so hope we get somewhere soon.

Newfie

« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »

Then it isn't your Asus. Wasting your time factory reseting it.

Until they fix the stats (every single error figure is always zero, Retx is reported incorrectly also) there's absolutely no way to tell if the chipset is stable on your line.

The fact a few users have already had the DLM increase their SNRM targets shows the Draytek has a higher error rate than their previous modems.
    Impossible to know just how bad the chipset/modem performs without the error counters being fixed.

Less of a problem for those on ECI cabinets with Interleaving.

Not so good for anyone on fastpath or G.INP with reduced SNRM.

My friend is on an ECI cab and having the same issue and a reset while it may not cure it should be carried out and Merlin who codes for Asus has a post explaining why a reset should be carried out after firmware updates on Smallnetbuilders. Many of us who Beta test for Netgear for example or Alpha test will do this as standard practise to remove old code.
    Saved config files should also never be used from one firmware to another as it introduces old code.

j0hn

• Kitizen
    « Reply #177 on: January 20, 2021, 04:38:04 PM »

I also recommend performing a reset on Asus routers after upgrading firmware.
    I do so on my Asus RT-AC68U running Merlin.

I was making the point that if it works with the HG612 then the above issue isn't the issue.

Hard to pinpoint the cause with so little stats.
    Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Newfie

« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2021, 05:37:32 PM »

The trouble is I’ve seen routers behave like this and a reboot fixed it for it to return later on so a reset while the modem was up and running would have been a good starting point.

Newfie

« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2021, 05:46:07 PM »

They sent me a RC1 firmware. Its made no difference to missing line stats and no difference to slow speeds etc. 10mb down now on a 60mb line. :( support are responding daily though so hope we get somewhere soon.

Support have been back to me and I’ve had to try both DSL modem codes which resulted in a very slight drop but no improvement.
    I would imagine we will see new firmware as time goes on. Just keep helping support and try to minimise the amount of reboots on the modem.
    Ive lost around 12mbps but it’s fine for me as 50 down and 12 up is fine. New tech always brings its early issues so hang in there.
    Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21