Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review  (Read 57849 times)

Newfie

Re: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »

I think you may have quoted the wrong person as I haven't posted any stats in this thread.

The UK uses Annex A infrastructure (POTS) with an Annex B bandplan on VDSL2.

The Draytek shows this nicely...

Hardware Annex A, firmware Annex B is used on VDSL2.

Broadcom modems report the bandplan Annex...

I have, multi tasking with router firmware and testing is taking it toll 😊

Oakserver

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2021, 05:10:20 PM »

How can you even tell it's the MT992 dropping sync?

It has zero stats to show sync has dropped and resyncs only take a couple seconds.

I cannot be certain it was the MT992, but the BT Smart hub 2 didn't suffer the same daily loss of DSL sync. The Draytek seems to be more stable so far than the MT992 but its early days. I am disappointed with the lack of line stats, not really much more than the MT992 - at least I know the SNR now!

omegapoint

« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2021, 12:52:51 AM »

Just had a resync and my SNR has now been increased to 5. I've now swapped back to my old Vigor 130 until they've figured out whatever firmware bug is causing this. Hopefully I'll gain my 4mb of speed back by then too.

Guest_1

« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2021, 07:53:47 AM »

Ive had no more re syncs for a few days now, I hope you get your 4Mbps back. As log as I can stream UHD and video chat I'm happy in on a almost full cab and a max rate on my line of 53Mbps down and 15 up (which I get.) When I started out on FTTC in 2013 I could get 69Mbps Down and 17Mbps up. The joys of crosstalk and ECI cabs.  ;)

Newfie

« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »

No more drops for me either. I’ve got to contact support to let them know my results.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2021, 12:33:50 PM »

I see that a Vigor 166 on G.FAST is working well, but all of these other reports are on FTTC.

Guest_1

« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »

4.1.1 BT is Initial firmware for UK/Ireland I'm sure there will be improvements as more firmware becomes available.

omegapoint

« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2021, 01:13:16 PM »

Ive had no more re syncs for a few days now, I hope you get your 4Mbps back. As log as I can stream UHD and video chat I'm happy in on a almost full cab and a max rate on my line of 53Mbps down and 15 up (which I get.) When I started out on FTTC in 2013 I could get 69Mbps Down and 17Mbps up. The joys of crosstalk and ECI cabs.  ;)

I used to get mid 70's on a Huawei cabinet but now it is full and for some reason no vectoring, so stuck with mid 60's at best. Not going to risk leaving it connected until I know what is going on. Bad experience last April when a 12 hour cabinet/exchange faulty back left my line stuck at 40mb. That time I ended up switching ISPs at my previous one refused to acknowledge a sync speed 15mb below the handback threshold for my line was actually a fault.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:00 PM »

and for some reason no vectoring

OpenReach don't deploy Vectoring on any of their commercially funded VDSL2 cabinets.

It's only used on specific targeted BDUK funded cabinets to increase the number of properties that can achieve SuperFast speeds (30Mb/s+).

Cabinets with VDSL2 Vectoring in the UK are few and far between.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Newfie

« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2021, 03:14:12 PM »

I used to get mid 70's on a Huawei cabinet but now it is full and for some reason no vectoring, so stuck with mid 60's at best. Not going to risk leaving it connected until I know what is going on. Bad experience last April when a 12 hour cabinet/exchange faulty back left my line stuck at 40mb. That time I ended up switching ISPs at my previous one refused to acknowledge a sync speed 15mb below the handback threshold for my line was actually a fault.

The best option is open a support ticket with them so they are aware of any issues. Ive never dealt with DrayTek before but so far support has started well.
My self and my friend do this with NG but it’s different there as we have a more formal relationship with them but normally it helps and we’ve seen firmware fixes for bugs we’ve seen patched fairly quickly.

omegapoint

« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2021, 12:28:05 PM »

The best option is open a support ticket with them so they are aware of any issues. Ive never dealt with DrayTek before but so far support has started well.
My self and my friend do this with NG but it’s different there as we have a more formal relationship with them but normally it helps and we’ve seen firmware fixes for bugs we’ve seen patched fairly quickly.

I've already got a support request open with them & have sent them the details of the speed drops.

Newfie

« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2021, 02:59:52 PM »

That’s great  :) I’ve got to contact them shortly with my findings so hopefully something good will come from it.

onion

« Reply #162 on: January 19, 2021, 01:36:51 PM »

Any update from anyone else? Support basically told me to do a snr tweak without understanding the issues. They do seem to be looking in to the vdsl status reporting being untrustworthy though. Mines still unplugged  :'(

Newfie

« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »

Any update from anyone else? Support basically told me to do a snr tweak without understanding the issues. They do seem to be looking in to the vdsl status reporting being untrustworthy though. Mines still unplugged  :'(

I’ve just sent some info to them. Waiting to hear back. I take it they want you to lower your SNR to 3db.

onion

« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2021, 02:09:42 PM »

I’ve just sent some info to them. Waiting to hear back. I take it they want you to lower your SNR to 3db.

They do indeed! Well they actually told me to raise it "if it wasnt high enough" - So i'm not convinced i'm through to the right department just yet....
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21