Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WIFI AC dongles, how do they perform.  (Read 1899 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
WIFI AC dongles, how do they perform.
« on: March 31, 2022, 05:49:23 PM »

So now I am using my NAS for backups, my wifi speed on laptop kind of matters.

My throughput is 250-290mbps typically.  It connects at 433mbps which is low end AC.

I found a few 866mbps and 1300mbps dongles.

Problem is every single model is littered with complaints of constant disconnections, some of these are in media site reviews as well.  Also every media review was only able to get speeds ranging from 100-280mbps, no faster than my 433mbps wifi device, yet these were on higher spec'd 866mbps devices.

Am I missing something here, does the overhead increase on faster wifi devices, or do usb devices just suck so bad they top out at that kind of throughput regardless.

Hopefully someone responds and they getting good speeds from a usb dongle, for me given what I get on my built in intel 3160, I would expect 500-600mbps from a 866mbps spec'd dongle.

--

Many of these reviews were a while ago 5+ years, so may have been earlier hardware revisions capped to USB2 speeds.  But at least a couple were USB3 dongles and couldnt get above 300mbps.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:53:09 PM by Chrysalis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: WIFI AC dongles, how do they perform.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 06:16:00 PM »

I think the first thing you should check is the version of the USB interface. If it is not USB3, ignore the device and any reviews.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 07:11:02 PM »

Well in some it wasnt disclosed so I decided to assume the oldest reviews with sub 100mbit speeds were USB2.

Sadly hardly anyone on user based reviews quoted their throughput as most seemed happy it just worked on their broadband. :)

I just did a manual backup, and the incremental backups arent really affected, the wireless doesnt really get saturated.

Last local incremental backup was 948meg in size and took 3 mins 25 seconds.
One just now was 1.4gigs in size and took 3 mins 19 seconds.

So I think really its only the full backups (and any restore) that will be noticable slower, so not as bothered now. 

I migrated the SSD yesterday so did full backup/restore from NAS. which is what prompted to do this post, but most backups will be automated in background and incremental.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 02:42:22 AM »

USB devices do tend to suck as their antennas are so tiny and close together and built to a cost.  Its not like the high-end antennas they use in phones where everything is tightly integrated and optimised.

I also believe the current limit of USB may be another issue that reduces the range, plus you don't want to pull too much as they can overheat.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 03:32:15 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

antsly

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 03:30:50 PM »

Depending on the model of the laptop, you may be able to upgrade the internal wifi card. If it's a modernish laptop it's likely to be on an M.2 board, and if it's older a mini pcie board. You can swap them out fairly easily if you're comfortable with working on your laptop.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 03:34:01 PM »

Depending on the model of the laptop, you may be able to upgrade the internal wifi card. If it's a modernish laptop it's likely to be on an M.2 board, and if it's older a mini pcie board. You can swap them out fairly easily if you're comfortable with working on your laptop.

Unfortunately being socketed is not the only issue, some manufacturers whitelist only the cards they sell so you can't upgrade to the latest technology.

The ones that don't however you can just slap an Intel AX210 card in them and you're good to go.  Unless its reasonably modern Intel and using CNVIo which is a PITA as again it limits you to what your CPU supports.  Though even there, some laptops support CNVIo AND PCIe.

Laptops are a pain as the manufacturers offer zero support for upgrades, you just have to use trial and error.  I have a long discussion on the LTT Forum about this.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 03:36:44 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »

Its bios locked.

antsly

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 12:34:26 PM »

Ugh, that is so anti consumer. I hate it. Sorry for suggesting it, I had no idea! I'm used to the world of building desktops where everything usually just works together!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 02:53:22 PM »

Yeah, its put me completely off anyone like HP or Dell (unless I specifically need a cheap used small form factor PC).

There seemed to be a time, at least on their desktops, where the backlash against them locking things down cause them to ease back.  Sadly it seems a lot of manufacturers are trying their luck going anti-consumer again.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 02:32:36 PM »

Ugh, that is so anti consumer. I hate it. Sorry for suggesting it, I had no idea! I'm used to the world of building desktops where everything usually just works together!

No worries, I didnt know myself until I went to buy the upgraded intel wifi card, and started noticing on the adverts not for Lenovo etc.  Some people are much worse off as they bios locked to 2.4ghz only cards, at least mine is 5ghz AC.

Seems some new laptops coming out now with proprietary ram modules.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 02:36:13 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 04:56:27 PM »

No worries, I didnt know myself until I went to buy the upgraded intel wifi card, and started noticing on the adverts not for Lenovo etc.  Some people are much worse off as they bios locked to 2.4ghz only cards, at least mine is 5ghz AC.

Seems some new laptops coming out now with proprietary ram modules.

Actually Lenovo seem to be hit and miss, I have a Lenovo that DOES work with an AX200.

crimliar

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 09:29:02 PM »

So - it all depends on what you get

We have a number of AC650 dongles here which work at 433Mbps on 5GHz - and they work fine!
Previously we've had some AC1300 USB2 dongles here and while the link speeds get reported as 866Mbps (only the first 4 5GHz channels available), thanks to USB2 they're no faster than the AC650 dongles.
I also have a USB3 AC1300 dongle hanging around here - Again 866MHz and only those first four channels available, but they get so hot they cook themselves!

So: no solution, just more problems!

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

anything