Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review  (Read 57805 times)

Robbie

Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review
« on: September 29, 2020, 04:00:09 PM »

Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review

Looking around on the web I could find very little regarding the Vigor 166, other than how long it has gone from product announcement to actual product on the shelves.  In the absence of any reviews here is my first impressions of it when operating in pure G.fast bridged / modem mode.

The shipping box is typical DrayTek fair and it was nice to see a proper code sticker on the box to show the firmware version and date as shipped.  I did see pictures on the web of this product labelled as either Vigor 165 or Vigor 166, depending on version purchased.  This one is labelled as ‘Vigor 160 Series’ and seems to cover both the 165 and 166 but with some caveats on the 165 feature set:

The box includes a drilling template should you wish to mount the unit to something; although judicious use of velcro usually suits me fine:

DrayTek is clearly embracing plastic as the packaging medium of choice, even managing to wrap plastic things in plastic with bonus plastic.  To avoid landfill I will feed the plastic to the local grey seal colony but keep the telco cable, Cat5e and quick start guide in a suitable dust-gathering space:

For those familiar with the older Vigor 130 VDSL modem/router you can see that DrayTek didn’t expend anything on the new design - it is identical in form to the previous model.  Nothing particularly wrong with the design though as it is relatively small, lightweight and can be easily mounted or fit on a 1U rack shelf.  It will also fit with the existing aftermarket rack mount kits produced for the Vigor 130 [130 left - 160 right]:

One very welcome change for some users will be the doubling of LAN ports on the rear - now sporting 2 ports that are routed and capable of hosting their own subnets.  Otherwise it is the standard RJ11/12 WAN port, reset button (can be software disabled) and a power/dying gasp switch for the 12vdc barrel socket:

The revised Vigor 160 Series labelling is carried on the top/front of the unit, together with 4 green LED indicators:

Powering-up the unit is a bit quicker than the Vigor 130 and you are treated to some reasonably vocal relay switching.  Plugging in an ethernet cable results in the Vigor grabbing the 192.168.1.0 subnet, giving itself the 192.168.1.1. address and its DHCP server giving out a 192.168.1.10 address to the first connected client:

DrayTek have yet to employ randomised passwords and the default Username and Password are both set as ‘admin’ as standard.  You do get a warning during the setup process to remind you that the default password should be changed:

Going to the 192.168.1.1. web page reveals a familiar DrayTek Dashboard.  Unlike the Vigor 130 the time can be set via browser or ntp and the inbuilt browser is noticeable quicker to respond when compared to the 130.  MAC addresses can be changed and this unit shipped with firmware V4.0.5_STD.  At default the unit powers-up in router-mode so it has all the typical router features and controls exposed to the GUI:

First order of battle was to update the firmware to one dated earlier this month.  The firmware comes in 2 flavours with ‘all’ suffix being the normal load that preserves any configuration and the ‘rst’ version resetting the unit to factory-fresh defaults during the firmware update.  I didn’t time the update but it wasn’t quick:

It should be noted that the v4.1.0_STD contains 2 different modem codes that can be set via the GUI.  The readme file contains no detail as to which should be used or why and the inclusion of 2 modem codes in one firmware load is not something I have seen before with DrayTek.  More of that later:

There is a Quick Start Wizard to set the typical range of parameters.  Most are set to ‘auto’ anyway with sensible settings to get most users going.  You can of course define the DSL protocols used for quicker reboots and quicker handshakes.  Most of these changes will prompt a reboot though, extending the setup time somewhat:

The option to set the router (ie default mode) to Modem/Bridge Mode can be found under the lefthand Operation Mode menu item.  Again, this prompts another reboot:

Once up and running again in Modem mode the various router-only modes are removed from the menu tree, leaving just the basics required for modem / PPPoE modem use:

Under the LAN - General Setup menu you can set the subnet to match your town opology.  The 2 LAN ports can be set independently and run their own DHCP server if required.  For my use I just switched the subnet to 10.0.0.0/24 and as the WAN interface on my router is set as 10.0.0.1 I set the modem itself to 10.0.0.2:

To provide easy access to the modem GUI from the WAN side of the router you have 3 reasonable options.  The second modem LAN port could be used as a hardwired and out-of-band management port, or a NAT masquerade rule could be set on a compliant router or, as the Vigor modem is still a router at its heart you can set a simple static route via the CLI.  In my case this was a simple ip route add 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1 static to link to my management subnet which resides on 10.0.1.0.  A quick ip route status confirms the route has been set:

Under Internet Access - General Setup I chose to set the WAN VLAN tag and set the DSL mode to G.fast only.  I understand that these should auto-populate to the Openreach settings if left alone, but I did not try that:

The final setting is under Internet - MPoA to set the MTU.  Disappointingly and unusually for DrayTek the MTU has a hard cap of 1500, rather than their usual 1520 byte limit.  This means no baby jumbo frames as defined by the Openreach SINs so the PPPoE overhead has to be carried inside the 1500 MTU limit.  One hopes this will be changed by DrayTek in later firmware loads.  I have not experimented with the CLI as yet to see if it exposes a greater MTU range:

Once the settings are complete and boredom with reboots has set-in installing a WAN cable will send the unit into DSL READY mode:

After a suitable amount of relay clicks and flashing lights the modem settles into TRAINING mode for a minute or 2:

Before achieving G.fast SHOWTIME state and it populates the various DSL statistics and connection details.  I am on a capped package at 160/30 Mbps:

An abridged set of stats can be found under Online Status - Physical Connection.  It is these statistics that are reported downstream to DrayTeks own routers as a parameter set, with the basic SNR, Actual Connection Speed and Tx/Rx packets:

The CLI also exposes the line stats but there was some oddities in this data and not all of it correlated with the GUI so there may be a mapping or lookup table issue somewhere:

So finally, the Dashboard when cruising the dead-end technology highway that is G.fast:

I say cruising but in truth there are a few things to iron out.  I suspect that the modem code may be incorrect (more experiments to come) and between that and the MTU not playing well with the rest of my network settings did lead to some latency spikes.  The raw speed was there but the hesitations need to be sorted.  I’ll contact DrayTek with my observations and see when the next firmware drop is due as that is expected to resolve some of the issues with UK use.  Till then I will experiment on the LAN side and have installed the Openreach Huawei Modem back on its shelf, hidden under a chest of drawers.  Nobody needs to see a modem:

Hope this helps those who are researching the slim-pickings of G.fast capable modems & routers.

👍

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:11:32 PM by Robbie »

hushcoden

• Reg Member
Re: Draytek Vigor 166 G.fast Modem / Router Review
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 04:48:57 PM »

Thanks Robbie, very helpful indeed !

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »

Thanks very much for that Robbie, excellent review.

Is the Vigor 130 capable of being a router ? I tried one of the 1x0 series units out, probably a 130 but my memory has failed me. I just somehow assumed that this device would be a mere modem, so I was surprised to read that it can be a router too.

You pointed out that this device when being a modem can talk to a Draytek router and send it stats. That’s an excellent bit of design; I wonder how they do it in protocol terms? Presumably some proprietary protocol over ethernet rather than IP. I wish there was a standard for this, including more information than just DSL link stats as well. Can other Draytek modem and router combinations do this?

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 08:54:34 PM »

Great write up, thanks  ;D

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »

@Robbie
Are you able to check somehow the connection speed with the Openreach modem or it's a sort of black box?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:36:06 PM by hushcoden »

Robbie

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »

Is the Vigor 130 capable of being a router ?

You pointed out that this device when being a modem can talk to a Draytek router and send it stats. That’s an excellent bit of design; I wonder how they do it in protocol terms?

Can other Draytek modem and router combinations do this?

Yes, the Vigor 130 is capable of being a router and I think the previous V120 was similarly capable.  The 2 typical firmware loads for the UK (BT - for Huawei cabs, Alt for ECI) does redact the router functions from the GUI display but the full functionality is still there via CLI.  There are a number of other firmware loads that retain the router GUI too.

The downstream stats is a DrayTek thing and is enabled via a checkbox on the modem GUI for display via a suitable DrayTek router (pretty much all of them I think).  Whilst this was a mechanism to provider easy stats access across the WAN interface to the potentially single LAN port on the modem the format itself is not proprietary.  I did have a 'shark capture of it but I did an overly enthusiastic purge of old files recently(!).  Of course, any open router design can gain access to the full stats via CLI anyway so it is pretty easy to pull the details to a log file or a suitable monitoring package.

👍

The V120 and V130 are not particularly powerful routers though and it would not take too much effort to stress them.  They seem to make extensive use of hardware acceleration with dedicated offload silicon and running packets direct to the CPU would prob them to their knees.  The V160 seems more powerful in that regard and offers the option of running without hardware acceleration, so DrayTek must think the CPU has credible capability for packets not eligible for offload.

Robbie

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »

@Robbie
Are you able to check somehow the connection speed with the Openreach modem or it's a sort of black box?

I asked that question myself but message seems to be that it is well-and-truly strapped-down.  The Openreach/Huawei G.fast modem is very new to me so in truth I have very little knowledge of what can or cannot be done. 

I do intend to tap the LAN port at some point to have a good look at the PPPoE traffic but I am not expecting anything of interest.  The PPPoE handshake on G.fast is unremarkable:

Code: [Select]
admin@Router-4:~$ show interfaces pppoe pppoe0 log
Thu Sep 10 14:09:43 BST 2020: PPP interface pppoe0 created
Thu Sep 10 14:09:46 BST 2020: Stopping PPP daemon for pppoe0
Thu Sep 10 14:09:46 BST 2020: Starting PPP daemon for pppoe0
Connected to 40:7c:7d:xx:xx:xx via interface eth0
using channel 1
Renamed interface ppp0 to pppoe0
Using interface pppoe0
Connect: pppoe0 <--> eth0
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <magic 0x8efc3b17>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x99 <mru 1500> <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x3a61xxxx>]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x99 <mru 1500> <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x3a61xxxx>]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <magic 0x8efc3xxx>]
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x8efc3xxx]
rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <7e72cad24afcb7f80dde36d6f027be1a1d16892708056fab3af4b6b76074775fe642323240ea2bcc496124b908e253a4xxxxxxxxxx>, name = "acc-aln1.gb-tny"]
sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <2c302e3509955f04fc74cxxxxxxxxxxe>, name = "01xxxxxxxxx@idnet"]
rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x3a61xxxx]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x59 <mru 1500> <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x3a61xxxx>]
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <magic 0x2e93xxxx>]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x59 <mru 1500> <auth chap MD5> <magic 0x3a61xxxx>]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 <magic 0x2e9xxxx2>]
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x2e93xxxx]
rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <0557db8b671df7cf871538c99dd4xxxx>, name = "bng2.th-lon"]
sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <7bcbae3655fc2a782b602addd3a7xxxx>, name = "01xxxxxxxxx@idnet"]
rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x3a61xxxx]
rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""] 40 0f ac 5a xx 06 xx xx
CHAP authentication succeeded
CHAP authentication succeeded
peer from calling number 40:7C:7D:xx:xx:xx authorized
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0>]
sent [IPV6CP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr fe80::3c9a:fd62:xxxx:xxxx>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 212.69.xx.xx>] 00 00
sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 <addr 212.69.xx.xx>]
rcvd [IPV6CP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr fe80::02a3:8eff:xxxx:xxxx>]
sent [IPV6CP ConfAck id=0x1 <addr fe80::02a3:8eff:xxxx:xxxx>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr 91.xxx.xx.xx>] 40 0f
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 91.xxx.xx.xx>]
rcvd [IPV6CP ConfAck id=0x1 <addr fe80::3c9a:fd62:xxxx:xxxx>]
local  LL address fe80::3c9a:fd62:xxxx:xxxx
remote LL address fe80::02a3:8eff:xxxx:xxxx
Script /etc/ppp/ipv6-up started (pid 3408)
rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr 91.xxx.xx.xx>] 00 00
Script /etc/ppp/ip-pre-up started (pid 3409)
Script /etc/ppp/ip-pre-up finished (pid 3409), status = 0x0
local  IP address 91.xxx.xx.xx
remote IP address 212.69.xx.xx
Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 3462)
Script /etc/ppp/ipv6-up finished (pid 3408), status = 0x0
Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 3462), status = 0x0
admin@Router-4:~$

👍

Robbie

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »

Thanks Robbie, very helpful indeed !

Great write up, thanks  ;D

Thanks guys.  Sorry about some of the imbedded screenshots not displaying correctly.  They look ok at my end but I am rather new to this forum and will endeavour to find what works best.

👍

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »

Sorry about some of the imbedded screenshots not displaying correctly.

They are there, complete, displaying correctly. Those of us viewing on smaller screens just need to horizontal scroll.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Robbie

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 10:53:57 AM »

The reply from DrayTek was not particularly helpful.  Hopefully this may change at some point:

If and when we release this product. We'll have a UK based firmware for it. At the moment there's no information on our side regarding this product.

For the last bit they could read this review! 

;)

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 12:24:50 PM »

How much support will this version of the Vigor 166 get, considering it's basically going to be obsolete by the end of the year, it was already over a year late & isn't to original spec.
In the original spec. released by DrayTek it included coverage of both 106Mhz & 212Mhz G.Fast bands, but this stop-gap model, called the GEN1 version, is 106Mhz only.
It's due to be replaced at the end of Q4 with the GEN2 version which will support both 106Mhz & 212Mhz as per the original spec. & will sport a different chipset to do it.
I was going to try one (as I had assumed the 212Mhz fix would be via a firmware update) until I double-checked with DrayTek EU (not UK) on this matter prior to purchase.
They confirmed that the GEN1 model isn't & never will be compatible with 212Mhz due to hardware limitations, so I'm going to wait for the new version to arrive.
It's only a theory but could it be that DrayTek aren't going to the expense of getting the GEN1 version UK certified, instead waiting on the GEN2 version.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:34:05 PM by smallal »

Robbie

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 10:46:23 PM »

Are we expecting the higher frequency range here in the UK?

We don't have it yet; it has even less range than the current frequencies; g.fast is a dead-end technology (even for those of us stuck with it) and precisely no one is clamouring for next generation g.fast.

I could be wrong and let's face it, OFCOM and Openreach have had a history in daft ideas, but I just don't see all the current Gen 1 kit being stripped-out for Gen 2 equipment - the RoI on the stillborn g.fast market is unlikely to cover any technology refreshes between now and an eventual back-of-the-queue FTTP future.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 11:38:53 PM »

It may only require a line card swap to accommodate higher frequencies.
I wouldn't be surprised if it never appeared though.

It would likely only help those with very short lines who get the top end of the current G.Fast.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Robbie

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 06:04:33 PM »

Presumably new customer premises equipment too.  Reasonably sure the current Openreach/Huawei modem is not capable of the higher frequencies.

If they were looking to increase speed for the very close they could just lift the 330/50 cap to allow max attainable rate to flow.  No physical changes required for that (clearly I don't think they would do such a thing - just musing). 

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 08:13:58 PM »

Who can say what Openreach will do next? FTTP looks like it's going to take several years to fully implement, & you can bet that G.Fast enabled areas will go to the bottom of the list.
Swisscom in Switzerland have already gone the G.Fast route & say they will offer a 1.5GB service using the 212Mhz band soon, other EU countries currently using the 106Mhz band may follow.
I think for now UK G.Fast users will need to source kit from the EU, as manufacturers don't seem very interested in releasing G.Fast equipment into a limited UK market, probably due to certification costs.
Until BT make a decent router (probably never), or at least add a bridge mode, there will be a market for non-BT G.Fast products such as the Vigor 166.
Does anyone know what chipset the VIGOR 166 GEN2 will be using?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:49:27 PM by smallal »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21