Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Line Stats. Any Comments Please.  (Read 5769 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
My Line Stats. Any Comments Please.
« on: November 23, 2006, 05:18:33 PM »

Hi All.
Just done a BT Performance speed test now I have got a "Green" for my Exchange (See below) .
Have they changed the tester, normally I have to confirm my ISP log in details but today I did not and I did not have to reconnect (As it says below) to my ISP ?.Odd, I always log on to the other tester and used the same url.
Note . Just re done the same test (same url) Odd BT server must have had a funny turn !!!.

My Set-up = ADSL.. BT Max via BT phone line 3.5Kl long>NTE5 Master socket face plate > Speedtoutch 536v6 Router (next to master socket) >RJ45 LAN cable to Smoothwall (firewall)> LAN Switch>LAN>Home Network.
 I'm still Double NATing but still trying to get block of 4 IP's.
Also I'm playing with the DMT tool so only put some of my routers "Link information" on.

Should I ask my ISP to do a "Woosh" test.?.
Do you think I should get any more out of my long phone line ?.

When I was on BT Connect Dial up I sometimes got only 9kbps !.

The DMT tool says I have "Interleaving 9 " on  What does the 9 mean ?.

Edit.. My ISP has my "Current Line Rate"= 4000kbps. and My "Estimated Stable Line Rate"=3424kpbs. Edit end...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIRST TEST.

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user 01332xxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

2478 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 91.84.xx.xxx, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows 2000.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
  For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
  For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
  For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SECOND TEST

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5152 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3107 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

ROUTER Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:49:47

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,152

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 51.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 4.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB

Broardband BT  Speed Test Results. In kbps. 
Profile  Up Down  Result Date Time
3000 448 4160 2519 Nov-10 11.45
3000 448 3648 2169 Nov-12 11.3
3000 448 4352 2719 Nov-13 1.25
3500 448 4512 2502 Nov-18 17
3500 448 5152 2940 Nov-19 11
3500 448 4896 1386 Nov-19 20.3
3500 448 5536 1518 Nov-20 0.3
3500 448 5088 2813 Nov-21 11.45
3500 448 5152 3107 Nov-23 16

Regards Michael.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:19:33 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: My Line Stats. Any Comments Please.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 12:18:56 AM »

>> Have they changed the tester....

Up until a couple of months ago there used to be just 1 BTw speedtester on iirc http://speedtester.bt.com
BUT the old BT speedtester was accessible on 2 separate IP addresses.
http://217.32.105.42 and http://217.35.209.142
It would be completely pot luck which IP address you got allocated if using the domain name.
There were some differences between the testers on the 2 different IP addresses.
The main ones being that:- 
217.32.105.42 was limited to 1 test every 30 mins - but could be accessed without logging on to the BT speedtest domain.
217.35.209.142 had no limits to the speedtests you could do but could only be accessed if you had correctly logged into the speedtest domain.

A couple of months ago BTw came up with the "Performance Tester".
This test uses the IP address 217.35.209.142 and can be accessed without logging into the bt speedtest domain.

So that leaves us with 2 slightly diferent types of tests, both of which can be accessed without having to log into the correct domain.
I have seen a few instances of some people over the past few months saying they havent had to confirm the ISP login details for the performance tester, but its not something Ive personally seen so Im not sure whats going on with that one.

Your first test results looks like it came from the BTw Speedtester
- The second set of results looks like it came from the performance tester.

---------------------------------------------------

>>> Should I ask my ISP to do a "Woosh" test.?.

The figures provided from a woosh will be the same (or very similar to) those produced by your router.  Woosh requires your router to be online since it actually gets the figures by communicating with your router.
Sample of information available from a WOOSH test
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/WOOSH.gif

>> IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps

That means in the past few days your lowest sync speed has been somewhere in the range of 4000 kbps to 4512 kbps.
IP profile is an indication of what actual throughput speeds you could expect to see on your line after allowing for such things as overheads if all conditions were perfect (no ISP or exchange contention).

More info under "Data Rate" on this page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

Looks like your data rate is slowly on the up - provided you manage to maintain the higher sync speeds. :)

>>> I have "Interleaving 9 " on  What does the 9 mean

I believe that figure relates to Interleaving Depth - see explanation on page
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/interleaving.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 12:47:26 AM »

btw mike before I forget

Got your mail thanks - it came through whilst I was "AWOL"...  Ive still got a few 100 emails to sort through from the week or so I wasnt around, but I'll get round to looking at them hopefully sometime soon.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 11:05:39 PM »

Hi Kitz.
Thanks for your reply.

Cannot get BT tester to work at all tonight, Tried about 12 times and now give up.

Do you think I should be happy with these figures I'm getting for my 3.5 Kl line.

I'm trying the DMT tool by changing the setting a bit at a time, If anyone has any tips on using that tool I would be grateful.
From Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 04:12:51 AM »

Hi

Yep the performance tester does get busy - I believe your best chance is using it in the mornings.

Problem is everyones line is different so theres really no hard and fast rule. Depends on cable length, joints, etc.
As you likely know.. The best thing you can do is get the SNR Margin as good as you can and the rest should hopefully follow.

Remember though it takes 3 days of stable higher syncs before your IP rate increases - at which point its when you see the actual throughput speed.

As regards to the DMT Tool - afaik theres a fair bit of playing with the slider to find out whats best for your line.
I did have some notes somewhere that Id picked up - but theyre very rough and on the other machine somewhere right now (shoved everything into a folder somewhere when I sent the lappy off for repair.)..  Its one of those other things on my ever growing todo list right now. :/

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »

I'm trying the DMT tool by changing the setting a bit at a time, If anyone has any tips on using that tool I would be grateful.

Rather than use the slider, I prefer to click the box labelled 'Modify' under the ModemOptions section, and enter values manually into the boxes. The values are hexadecimal, and some experimentation is needed to work out what values give what result. Most people only change the value in the 00 box, where smaller values correspond with a lower target noise margin. You would normally only use multiples of 08, e.g. 60, 68, 70, 78, etc. here. In some circumstances a value of 01 in the 01 box can improve stability (it seems to have done so for me) but i wouldn't change anything else.
After changing a value, click on the Resync button to check the result, and click on Save Settings at the end to preserve the changes.

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »

Hi Kitz,Eric.  Thanks.

This link to this other site has some good tips on the DMT tool.  Edit link out of date...removed
Michael.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:55:06 PM by tickmike »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 07:11:15 PM »

argghhh you could have warned me before you made me click the link  :lol:

Funny enough it was some of the things that jinxters has posted previously that were going to form the basis of a page..  but before I actually put something up I wanted to contact him, as Im not in the habit of replicating others hard work without giving due credit from the originator.

Therefore that link is a good source..  However, Im aware that that AG often archive stuff so a few months down the line and the post is no longer there. :(

-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 02:46:20 PM »

Hello Eric,
This is a screen shot of my DMT Tool today.
What is the max figure you can put in modemoption 08>80 can you go higher than 80?.
What I wanted to see if I could recover any signal loss after 862kHz, I Think this my line losses attenuating the higher  freq. ?.
Have you any idea what frequency airports/planes use for there automatic landing radio beacon, we live about 7 mile from East Midlands Airport, as I understand strong radio waves can block out certain parts of the broadband signal.
I can see I have a lot of errors and my speedtouch 536v6 seems good at holding on to low SNRM 1.5dB. will the interleaving 9 notch up to compensate for these?.
Regards Michael.

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »

You can put any multiple of 08 up to a maximum of f8 in the modemoptions 00 box. When I was having crackly line problems I used e8 for a while to get some stability in my connection. It gave me a target noise margin of 13dB.

I would be very surprised if aircraft use frequencies as low as those used for ADSL, which are broadly speaking in the AM radio area. The usual culprits are street lights, unsuppressed electrical equipment, and powerful AM radio transmitters. Most of these things get worse in the hours of darkness. Tracing the source of interference can be very difficult, unless you can correlate a drop in noise margin with some identifiable local event (such as street lights coming on or your neighbour starting up his exercise treadmill).

Eric
  Eric