Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Huawei Potential Spying  (Read 3648 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Huawei Potential Spying
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »

Would it really be incredibly blatant for the modem to send data via the user's ISP's connection to Huawei? Not necessarily modify user traffic, just add its own. That seems like saying the ISP should somehow just know which packets should be present and which ones shouldn't.

A single modem no. All of them definitely.

If you can control or compromise enough to know who owns which modems you don't need mass surveillance capability in the modems as you already have enough information to mount a targeted attack.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2020, 06:22:56 PM »

No idea why this was split in to its own thread.

Then I shall tell you the reason why. It was split off because it had been appended to topic where it served no purpose.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2020, 11:14:27 PM »

I wasn't suggesting it would be streaming video from your webcam to Huawei in 4k UHD!

LOL. No it isn't. I think you find that most of the software components from Broadcom and Huawei in the firmware aren't open source.

Then what is this? https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/super-fastfibreaccess/landrgnu.do

Yes the modem is a closed-source binary blob, but that's hardly "most of" the software.  The core OS is Open Source, which means wherever its hooked into the OS you have some ability to see what its doing.  Plus further up the network I'd expect Openreach to monitor what is going over their backhaul to make sure its only what's supposed to be there.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »

Then what is this? https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/super-fastfibreaccess/landrgnu.do

Have you looked at what's in the open source code releases and what's in the firmware? What you've provided a link to is the open source parts. I am well aware of it. The vast bulk of that code will be the Linux kernel, the vast majority of which won't be of any relevance to the HG612.

Here's a list of binary programs in the HG612 and if you get the source code:

Y brctl
Y busybox
N cli
N cmfctl
N cms
N console
N cwmp
N dbase
Y dhcpc
N dhcps
Y dnsmasq
N dsldiagd
Y ebtables
N equipcmd
N ethcmd
N igmpproxy
Y ip
N ipcheck
Y iptables
N klog
N log
N mc
N MidServer
N monitor
N msg
Y pppc
Y ripd
Y siproxd
Y sntp
* sshd
Y tc
N upg
N xdslcmd
N xtmcmd
Y zebra

35 programs, 13 open source, 21 not open, * sshd appears to be dropbear which is open source but was not included in the source code release. This is why I say most of it is not open source.

Plus further up the network I'd expect Openreach to monitor what is going over their backhaul to make sure its only what's supposed to be there.

Again, I don't know how you expect Openreach to know what's supposed to be there and what isn't. You might as well be expecting Openreach to block all malicious traffic to/from the Internet and all spam and viruses, if they can monitor it all and know what's what.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »

How is the kernel irrelevant?  That's literally what any binaries have to talk through.  Plus as I pointed out earlier, what exactly is it going to do when its in bridge mode so can only see the ATM/PTM layer?

All we really need to know is don't give the HG612 a gateway, gives it a static IP and at most configure the NTP server address to a relay on the LAN.

Could a bridge/modem intercept PPP traffic and inject something that shouldn't be there?  Maybe (I don't know anything about PPP) but I'm 99% sure the HG612 is not powerful enough to do that, let alone to actually extract, process and report back what you are doing over that link.  Just monitoring an interfaces data flow is hugely expensive in CPU cycles, you do NOT do that unless absolutely necessary.

If they beefed up the SoC to do that sort of thing, it would dramatically increase the cost per unit and nobody would buy it, as these devices are all about the absolute cheapest, reliable solution for the job.  In the quantities they sold to Openreach they would need a darn good financial reason to sneak in a powerful SoC and take a huge loss per unit to do so, while hoping Openreach do not question WHY the hardware is so over-specced for the job or do any inspection of the firmware to see if its doing what they asked for.

[Moderator edited to remove the verbatim quote of the previous post.]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:54:44 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »

What I meant was, that out of the 200MB of source code provided by Huawei, there's probably about 150MB in there that'll be for kernel features or drivers that aren't even compiled. Whereas most of the bits and pieces of software that make the box do it's job are not open source. Try and make a firmware for the HG612 using only open source components and you might just about be able to get it running not very well as a 2 port wired router.

Just monitoring an interfaces data flow is hugely expensive in CPU cycles, you do NOT do that unless absolutely necessary.

And yet I earlier linked to that old issue where the HG612 was picking out UDP port numbers within the data passing through it. In bridge mode it'll be PPP packets going into it, the ATM/PTM layer only exists over the DSL link.

Quote from: BCM6368 product brief