Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Download Sites for Free Software  (Read 7530 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Download Sites for Free Software
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 04:31:35 AM »

Likewise, I just don't "get" Gimp at all.
Bought PSP 7 10th Anniversary Edition in early 2001 and have loved it ever since - so intuitive to use. As you say, still works on Win 10.   :)
Irfanview is a useful supplementary for batch re-numbering, re-sizing etc.

GIMP got easier to use when they added single-window mode.  It was the many panels that would get hidden underneath each other that drove me insane.

The Windows version does seem rather heavy though, takes unreasonably long to load compared to instant on Linux, presumably as its loading a ton libraries that are already resident in memory on Linux.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 08:57:19 AM »

PSP 7 does everything I need to do, so I'm happy to stick with it.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 09:03:51 AM »

PSP 7 does everything I need to do, so I'm happy to stick with it.

That's a fair point, and as I said it DOES work on Linux using WINE too  (I haven't checked in a while but as WINE supports older software better I have no reason to believe its not fully functional).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »

I must be insane, but as well as GIMP I have also used ImageMagick - I like the fact that it works with arguments from the command line, so you can script complex operations and multiple repeated batch operations with it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »

To be fair, I believe PSP7 had batch processing too, but I do find things like ImageMagick extremely useful as you can add right click triggers for batch files that do custom operations.

The biggest problem I find with GIMP is its filters seem to be all over the place.  Just finding sharpen/soften options is confusing, I'm not sure I ever found them.  :blush:  Whereas in PSP7 its very straightforward.

I think part of the difference is in Linux you kinda get used to some element of having to use the right tool for the right job, rather than everything being in one neat package.  That's naturally frustrating if you're used to everything is one place and just working, doubly-so if you're doing time sensitive work so just don't want the hassle of learning what the best tool for the job actually is.
Pages: 1 [2]