Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Download Sites for Free Software  (Read 7531 times)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Download Sites for Free Software
« on: September 25, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »

There are plenty of sites for downloading good free software, but not all of them are reputable.

My first port of call is usually Gizmo's site, aka Tech Support Alert, where free applications for most purposes you can think of are reviewed, compared, contrasted, and discussed.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/windows

Other sites that I know and trust, include File Hippo, Softpedia, and Major Geeks.

https://filehippo.com/

https://www.softpedia.com/

https://www.majorgeeks.com/

There is an interesting article about reputable download sites HERE.

Maybe you know of some more?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 12:59:22 PM by Floydoid »
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Download Sites for Free Software
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »

As I'm mostly a Linux guy these days the software I download tends to be Windows ports, so often I will find it straight off Github or at least linked from there.  Softpedia and Majorgeeks does ring a bell though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »

There is a Linux section at Gizmo's site.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/linux

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »

There is a Linux section at Gizmo's site.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/linux

Actually ON Linux you rarely need to, as most software is bundled in one of the main repositories.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »

I tried dipping my toe into the Linux world many years ago, as a result of Roseway's excellent tutorials in the Linux section of this forum, but just didn't get on with it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 11:24:54 PM »

I tried dipping my toe into the Linux world many years ago, as a result of Roseway's excellent tutorials in the Linux section of this forum, but just didn't get on with it.

Coming from Windows its easy to come into it thinking "I want to run X software on it", when you really need to come over with an open mind to trying different software.

One good thing about this however is that you can slowly try migrating the software you use on Windows over to what is available on Linux.

The bigging drawback for me initially was giving up Paintshop Pro.  I mean technically I didn't have to, it runs fine under WINE, but I wanted to get used to GIMP.

Of course I can completely understand how that can be a real barrier, as when you've spent decades using particular software, learning something new doesn't always come easy.  Its why I haven't felt inclined to push my mum to Linux as she struggles with Windows 10 changing things as it is.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 06:54:47 AM »

Gimp is horrendous to get your head round. For years I've been running PSP 7 which is almost 20 years old! I think it was the last free fully working version they gave away before Corel bought it up - they used to release their new version then giveaway the previous version as I recall.

It still works on Windows 10!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »

Yup, my mum still uses PSP7 on Win10 but GIMP does all I need it to do.  Browsing thumbnails is easier done by the OS these days.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 08:58:57 AM »

I use FastStone as my generic image viewer and organiser - it's far superior to the Windows viewer. What I do like is that it includes a file browser with a superb batch renaming facility.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »

I recently started using XnView as I despise Windows explorer and specifically the Photos app, its totally unreliable.  On Linux I use the Dolphin file browser but may switch to XnView there too just for consistency, haven't really decided.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2020, 09:43:16 AM »

Yes XnView  is good too.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »

I have been using Linux for years now and although I do have one Windows PC only because it runs my weather s/w and forecasting s/w and it's the latter which I have been unable to find an equivalent for. This PC still runs W7 and will NOT change. A few years ago I swapped my wife's laptop to Linux using the KDE desktop and she did not notice the difference  ;D as she only used it for browsing (same browser) and email (same client). The differences in the KDE desktop and windows are minimal, at leats when coming from W7.

Yes I agree it can be a bit of a learning curve with some new s/w. Have you tried Digikam as a photo management and manipulation program as there is a Windows version? I do have a windows 7 system I can bring up under Virtualbox which I used for a while for handling a photo printer which was problematic under Linux mainly because Canon refuse to support Linux, a very short sighted view especiallyas the do support the Mac which runs the Linux kernel!

Apart from my weather forecasting stuff I do not need to run Windows for anything these days, plus the Linux security protocols are way better and updates are easier even though I run a leading edge distro which is a rolling release.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 02:18:02 PM »

I come from the opposite direction having used Unix/Linux for some time before MS Windows was created. On my personal computer I use Arch Linux + LXQt and am happy with the software I get from the main repos and AUR. Of course that is not for everyone but there are plenty of distros that work along the lines of Windows or macOS in bundling many apps, providing an official store, and access to thirdparty applications.

Back to the original question these are good reputable sites I have used for Windows utilities over the years.

NirSoft
https://www.nirsoft.net/
Small and useful freeware utilities.

Sysinternals
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/
Windows utilities bought out by Microsoft in 2006.

As for Windows freeware in general I occasionally look around the sites mentioned to compare solutions I am looking for but tend to download from the origins.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 02:36:49 PM »

I took a look at the Gizmo’s website for linux software. It’s very impressive but I hit a stumbling block. I have no GUI, I’m not running X, just a command line via SSH. So I would need something that indicates programs that can run from the command line.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 05:02:42 PM »

Gimp is horrendous to get your head round. For years I've been running PSP 7 which is almost 20 years old! I think it was the last free fully working version they gave away before Corel bought it up - they used to release their new version then giveaway the previous version as I recall.

It still works on Windows 10!
Likewise, I just don't "get" Gimp at all.
Bought PSP 7 10th Anniversary Edition in early 2001 and have loved it ever since - so intuitive to use. As you say, still works on Win 10.   :)
Irfanview is a useful supplementary for batch re-numbering, re-sizing etc.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
Pages: [1] 2