Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recovery  (Read 693 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Recovery
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:12:16 PM »

Perhaps I might give some comfort to kitizens who are worried about COVID 19. I’ve recently recovered. My wife is still recovering so I’m isolated until Saturday. However despite being 70, and T2 diabetic, I can report it wasn’t  nice, but no worse than flu as I remember.

My symptoms were not as listed, a worry in its self but more like cold/flu. Testing for us both only happened because my wife is a NHS worker.

It’s horrible, but I seem for now to have got over the worst. Much fatigue but that apparently can last for another 3 weeks.

Hopefully this might take the fright away from colleagues on this forum

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Recovery
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:36:38 PM »

Thank you for providing an update on your personal situation. It must have been a worrying time for you both.

Hopefully the recovery process will continue steadily, without any setbacks.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:39:27 PM »

Many thanks for that update Tony, and sympathies for what you both have gone through.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 12:23:33 AM »

Mum has read way too many theories to be comforted by this.  Not least that the milder you have it, the potentially more silent the long-term damage may be.

I've also seen articles of people suffering fatigue 3 months later.

Then again fatigue is kinda meaningless to me as I already get bouts of fatigue for no reason, its why I had to stop working.  Although I do remember when I got it really bad after a bad vertigo attack, I felt like I was dying.

That said mum has had a lot of temperatures lately so she might even have it already, but as tests are basically impossible to get right now we will likely never know.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »

I think everyone in my house had it early on in the year. It saps energy levels.

I've got to go in to hospital for a few hours to calibrate a new machine to help me breath at nights (a BiPAP, similar to a CPAP but then can put settings on both the inhale and exhale).

Apparently my current machine is coming to the end of its life.

So the procedure is that they are going to send me a time and date to have a covid test in the hospital car park, and then I have to go back to the hospital 2 days after and sit in a room while the machine calibrates to me. I had hoped to avoid doing this. But they are insisting. They said the sooner I get it done the better as they don't know how many covid cases might happen soon.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »

Thanks for the comments and sympathy! I can report for the first evening it’s 2233 and I’m still awake. A record today ! Hopefully this improvement continues.

I share the comments, too many stories ,to much confusion and little or no help.

I guess that’s not going to change for some time.

Tony

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 12:00:31 AM »

Thanks again, Tony.

Majority of credible scientific studies that I have read concur that your own experience is actually par for the course, a very unpleasant illness but one that most of us can handle, even with advancing age and underlying conditions.

Individual cases are obviously of no statistical significance on the grand scale of things but anecdotally, I personally find your first-hand account reassuring - which I think was your aim in posting.

I hope I speak for everybody, in wishing yourself and your wife all best wishes, for a continued and complete recovery.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 07:41:28 AM »

There are too many unknowns, specifically the theory that due to how it reacts it can leave blood clots that you will never know about.

Granted, anyone can have a blood clot at any time for no obvious reason, but its enough to keep me nervous.  Particularly as the last time I got gastroenteritis I nearly died (I had a fit, stopped breathing, swallowed my tongue and was paralysed from the waist down for hours) and its the SECOND time I had a fit and nearly died due to a reaction to illness.  Both times its only because I live with my mum that I'm still here and A & E was a trauma in itself, and that without COVID-19 levels of understaffing.

I already get random bouts of fatigue as it is, that's bad enough, but I also remember what it felt like on anti-nausea meds as they sapped so much energy I felt like I was dying.  Really don't wish that again either.

So yeah, I have good reasons to be paranoid.  I plan to at least live long enough for the RTX 3080 GPUs to come into stock.  :P
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 10:04:24 AM »

Thanks again, Tony.

Majority of credible scientific studies that I have read concur that your own experience is actually par for the course, a very unpleasant illness but one that most of us can handle, even with advancing age and underlying conditions.

Individual cases are obviously of no statistical significance on the grand scale of things but anecdotally, I personally find your first-hand account reassuring - which I think was your aim in posting.

I hope I speak for everybody, in wishing yourself and your wife all best wishes, for a continued and complete recovery.

7lm thanks for the very eloquent response. Just read it to Sarah who was most touched.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »

I plan to at least live long enough for the RTX 3080 GPUs to come into stock.  :P

And lots of other things I hope  :)

[Moderator edited to fix the broken [quote] tag.]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:09:14 PM by burakkucat »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »

[quote

I plan to at least live long enough for the RTX 3080 GPUs to come into stock.  :P

And lots of other things I hope  :)

Well it would sure be nice to resume my monthly meetups in Nottingham and conventions.  I was finally trying to get a social life after 20 years of almost complete isolation.  :'(  But until something changes with the pandemic situation, gaming is rather high up my list for keeping my current level of insanity.  ???