Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTP  (Read 5675 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
FTP
« on: December 09, 2020, 04:00:42 PM »

Wonder if someone can help please.

I have a web hosting package with 1and1 (yes I know!) which I have had for many years.

I have a question relating to accessing my storage on the server (at 1and1) from my local machine ie my pc

I understand that I can use a dedicated FTP client eg Filezilla. I use SmartFTP and it works fine.

My question is to do with accessing data on the server using a browser as the FTP client.

It used to be possible for me to access my data on the 1and1 server by using ftp://mydomain.com or ftp://subdomain.mydomain.com

This has now been changed, so one has to use the server name or ftp://homexxxxxxxxx.1and1-data.host (were xxxxxxxxx is my client reference). Using this method I can access the server from my browser.

However, I can now only seem to download files from the server to my local machine and can't move items the other way.

Years ago, when I opened a domain or sub-domain via FTP using a browser, I could move files or whole folders either way, much in the same way that one could do if a usb thumb drive was connected to a pc.

I have just spent 30 minutes to 1and1 support and the support person didn't even understand what I was talking about!

Does anyone using 1and1 and who has knowledge about this please let me know.

Many thanks for any info provided.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTP
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »

Its not a great idea to use FTP to access your hosting as this exposes your login details to anyone sniffing in-between you and the server.

SCP, SFTP or Webdav are the usual modern methods.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »

Wonder if someone can help please.

Many thanks for any info provided.

@risk_reversal you are probably running into a browser limitation, what browser are you using?

Code: [Select]
The procedure below will work with current versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox for Windows.

To transfer files via FTP using your web browser in Windows:

From the File menu, choose Open Location....
In the "Location" field, type a URL like the following:
  ftp://username@name-of-server
For example, if your username is dvader, and you want to reach your account on deathstar.empire.gov, enter:

ftp://dvader@deathstar.empire.gov
Note: Do not close the URL with a /, or you will connect to the root directory rather than your home directory.

You will be prompted for your password. After you supply the password, you will see the contents of your home directory on the remote machine. To change directories, click the appropriate yellow folder icon.
To download a file, drag the file from the browser window to the desktop. You can also double-click the filename, and you will be prompted to either save or open the file.
To upload a file, drag the file from your hard drive to the browser window.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »

Its not a great idea to use FTP to access your hosting as this exposes your login details to anyone sniffing in-between you and the server.

SCP, SFTP or Webdav are the usual modern methods.

Thanks for the warning

@meritez

"You will be prompted for your password. After you supply the password, you will see the contents of your home directory on the remote machine. To change directories, click the appropriate yellow folder icon.
To download a file, drag the file from the browser window to the desktop. You can also double-click the filename, and you will be prompted to either save or open the file. To upload a file, drag the file from your hard drive to the browser window"

That is what should happen and used to happen before with 1and1.

Hence me posting to find out if it was me or if anyone who was also with 1and1 was experiencing this, in other words 1and1 changed the ability to do this.

Cheers

Cheers