Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL Router (Combi router) to replace BT router  (Read 975 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
VDSL Router (Combi router) to replace BT router
« on: September 23, 2020, 05:29:00 PM »

I am helping another friend who wants to replace his BT router with a better 3rd party solution but his budget is £100, his internet keeps dropping out and i've came to the conclusion that its the routers fault.

He only gets around 30Mb on his line so super fast isn't a priority, something with decent range I would say.

I was looking at this, obviously suggestions would have to be compatible with BT (I know majority of routers are fine however).
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/26717-tp-link-archer-vr400/

Budget must not exceed £100. Any help would be appreciated.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
Re: VDSL Router (Combi router) to replace BT router
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »

Hi sof006

The BT home hubs I have seen generally have had stable connections, from memory they mostly have Lantiq or Broadcom chipsets and where I live we have quite poor phone lines and they do pretty decent job - are you sure its the router? Perhaps you could share some line data, there are people on here who might be able to help ...

I think the VR400 has a Broadcom chipset, you might end up with similar performance if the chipset is the same?  Personally I am not a fan of TP-Link equipment due to their poor firmware support, I would go for a more reputable second hand device or alternatively flash a third party firmware.

C

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 08:02:05 PM »

As Chunkers says it may well not be the BT modem that is responsible- especially if you have done a hard reset on it. It would be interesting to see the stats.

ZyXel modems are popular on these boards and something like the VMG 8924 should be quite cheap.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 08:26:16 AM »

If your friend is on-contract with BT I'd advise that he contacts them first, as they may well send a replacement router out for free.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »

Loads of Zyxel VMG-8924s on Ebay.  I got mine for £30, unused in a John Lewis branded box but in fact completely standard.

anything