Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: An Adventure With an Adva Fibre Service Platform  (Read 1530 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
An Adventure With an Adva Fibre Service Platform
« on: September 23, 2020, 01:27:38 AM »

Subtitled: Or How a Service Providing Internet Access Used ADSL2, Optical Fibre and VDSL2 Links in Series.

As a diagram will definitely assist with the understanding, please equip yourself with an A4 sheet of paper and a pencil.

Orientate the paper in landscape mode and draw seven rectangles, equally spaced, in a line across the top of the paper. Within each individual rectangle insert one upper-case letter, from A to G, sequentially.

From the left-hand edge of the paper, draw a line to meet the mid-point of the left-hand side of rectangle A. Then draw lines linking the first six rectangles together. Do not draw a line linking rectangles F and G.

Now number the horizontal lines that are linking the rectangles. Between A & B, number it 1 . . . between E & F, number it 5. Finally, in the gap between F & G (there is no horizontal line), number it 6.

On the lower part of the A4 sheet of paper add the legend to the diagram:

(A) NTE5/A and SSFP

(B) Huawei SmartAX MT882

(C) Planet GT-802S

(D) Adva FSP150CC-GE112 (See the FSP 150-GE100 Series web-page and datasheet. Also Adva's YouTube channel video, linked below.)

(E) Planet VC-231

(F) ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A

(G) Dell Latitude E5500 and kuro neko.

(1) Twisted pair cable, 8P2C plug (pins 4 & 5) and 6P2C plug (pins 3 & 4). ADSL2 (ITU-T G.992.3). ATM cells. PPP session.

(2) Ethernet patch cable. PPP session.

(3) Pair of single mode optical fibre cables (as a duplex link). SC/UPC and LC/UPC connectors. PPP session.

(4) Ethernet patch cable. PPP session.

(5) Twisted pair cable, 6P2C plugs (pins 3 & 4) at each end. VDSL2 (ITU-T G.993.2), profile 17a, PTM. PPP session.

(6) IEEE 802.11n wireless link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzkBOsU72UE

[Edited to fix the YouTube link.]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 11:35:20 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: An Adventure With an Adva Fibre Service Platform
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 05:20:51 AM »

I'm very confused.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 11:19:26 AM »

Interesting experiment

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 12:11:34 AM »

I'm very confused.

And b*cat thought he had carefully detailed everything.  :(

Let's try considering the major components of the infrastructure making up the circuit that carries your Zen provided service. Would you agree with the following list --
  • Zen owned equipment in the head-end exchange.
  • Cable link(s) between the Zen equipment and the BT equipment.
  • An ECI OLT.
  • Optical fibres(s) from the OLT exit the building, pass through track nodes, etc, then aggregation nodes, before reaching the various fibre cabinets.
  • An ECI Hi-FOCuS Mini-Shelf M41 MSAN (used just as a DSLAM).
  • Pairs from each line-card port of the M41 pass via wiring harnesses to the Krone strips, then tie-cables to the PCP, D-side cables to DPs, either an aerial drop or an underground feed, NTE5 plus SSFP and, finally, a patch cable to the CPE.
  • Your HH5A, running OpenWRT, is the CPE
Now I shall construct another list, with seven bullet points, thus --
  • The Huawei SmartAX MT882 [at (B)].
  • The Ethernet patch cable [at (2)].
  • The Planet GT-802S [at (C)].
  • The pair of single mode optical fibre cables (as a duplex link) [at (3)].
  • The Adva FSP150CC-GE112 [at (D)], the Ethernet patch cable [at (4)] and the Planet VC-231 [at (E)] all considered as one entity.
  • The twisted pair cable [at (5)].
  • The ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A [at (F)].
If you consider the first ... seventh bullet point, of the first list, with first ... seventh bullet point, of the second list, can you now see the experimental simulation that I built in The Cattery and described in the opening post of this topic?  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:55:20 AM »

Ah, so you are replicating the entire VDSL circuit as close as possible to how its really structured?

I think what threw me was the idea someone is crazy enough to do this and why they would. ;)

Although I have to admit I have considered getting an ethernet to VDSL adapter, just to see how different modems perform when syncing under ideal conditions.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 03:55:49 PM »

Ah, so you are replicating the entire VDSL circuit as close as possible to how its really structured?

Yes, that is the case. But it wasn't my original intention.

I had initially planned taking the PPP session, originating in TalkTalk-land (carried to me on an ATM based, ADSL2 circuit), and repackaging it to be carried on a PTM based, VDSL2 circuit as a "fun project" for our friend Weaver to remotely consider and analyse. Whilst laying out all the hardware (before connecting it together), I had the sudden thought: "Can I also include an optical fibre link somewhere in the setup?" The answer was, obviously, a "Yes" and then it occurred to me that I could simulate an entire VDSL2/FTTC circuit from ISP/CP hardware, located in a BT Group building, to the CPE in the end-user's premises.

There were three people who had an inkling that I was "up to something" . . . The indicative paw points towards Weaver, licquorice and CarlT.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 10:15:20 PM »

I am ashamed to say that I am too befuddled to look up all the functions of the different models, so a recap / summary would be helpful (am not well at the moment), and this despite the fact that Burakkucat kindly sent me lots of reading material+manuals.