Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPadOS 14  (Read 2749 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPadOS 14
« on: September 22, 2020, 02:20:07 PM »

I see iPadOS 14 / iOS 14 is now out. I’m doing a mad thing and downloading iPadOS 14 onto my iPad; doing the thing I vowed not to do. Will report back if there’s anything noteworthy. It’s taking about 45 mins.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: iPadOS 14
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »

@weaver Ive not had any issues except with one 3rd party app that they warned about. Much better than the iOS 13 which was a nightmare.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:47:30 PM »

Thanks. Anything exciting I should know about?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 07:30:55 PM »

Nothing that helps me. Slightly better mail app and Callander.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:00:57 PM »

I’m very pleased with the redesigned Shortcuts app UI. I have 148 Shortcuts programs (including subroutines) and now I can organise them so I can find things. Changes to the display of text have screwed up the layout of displayed results coming from my Shortcuts programs: used to be mono spaced font and I relied on that in some cases, but no more and the layout of some things has gone wibbly  wobbly, also some things now don’t find in the tiny display window for output text, breaking layout again. This also happened in iOS 13 - you used to get a big window that was full size to draw text in, and then they changed it to a piddling little random sized thing.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 11:49:28 PM »

I have a suspicion that Shortcuts has become rather slower in iPadOS 14. A very cpu-intensive Shortcuts subroutine which I wrote has an inner loop that executes hundreds of times. It contains mainly regex match operations within the loop plus a bit of logic. It was slow before but now is truly painful taking many minutes to complete.

I have complained to Apple about the performance decrease.

On the other hand they have partially fixed the display routines so that we get a large window to see results in again now, not the silly uncalled-for small window that was introduced in iOS 13 for no reason. The bad news is that they are now using non-mono spaced fonts so textual results layout is now all wrong, plus there are some funny line breaks/wraps introduced into results’ formatting, for no reason, so this looks like a bug, or some insane design. I had a subroutine that draws an ASCII bar-graph of results but I have had to delete it because the layout is all screwed up now.

The people in charge of Shortcuts keep making bizarre breaking changes; it’s as if they assume either that no one has already written any programs, or all programs are trivial, or the devs have not tried any complex programs.

anything