Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trouble Configuring HG612 WAN Auth Info  (Read 1048 times)

mr-b

Trouble Configuring HG612 WAN Auth Info
« on: September 18, 2020, 11:40:15 PM »

Hi

I've got a HG612 (unlocked) to replace my Vodafone router (which has a weird issue where  after changing it's ip address from the default 192.168.1.1 so I can use it with my existing PfSense firewall, it loses GUI access a short period). I heard that the HG612 can be left at the defaults but just needed add the auth info from Vodafone.

I obtained the auth info from them, changed the HG612 ip so it wouldn't clash with the PFSense box and then tried following the wiki https://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612_-_Basic to add the auth info.

The issue I'm having is that the default WAN connections (attached) do not have an auth info field anywhere. So I then tried adding a new WAN connection which did have an auth field, but after I tried submitting it, it complained about port bindings or somesuch. I felt I may be heading down a rathole so thought I'd better ask as I coudn't find any guides on how to do this.

[Moderator edited to correct the Huawei device model --> HG612.]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:29:13 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Trouble Configuring HG612 WAN Auth Info
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 11:56:58 PM »

I heard that the BG312 can be left at the defaults but just needed add the auth info from Vodafone.

No, that is wrong. You do not enter your Vodafone credentials into the HG612 but into your PFSense firewall/router.

. . .  and then tried following the wiki https://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612_-_Basic to add the auth info.

That guide is for using a Huawei HG612 with an ADSL2+ service and is not relevant to a VDSL2 service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

mr-b

Re: Trouble Configuring HG612 WAN Auth Info
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 10:57:44 AM »

Ah Ok tx.
It was a post on the Voda forum that said to configure auth and VLAN on the BG612 that set me off on the wrong route.
Then I saw VDSL2 mentioned on the wiki and didn't see anything xDSL specific mentioned further down so had assumed that the parameters were applicable  irrespective of connection type. Mea culpa. I think I'd better do some reading ... ;-)

[Moderator edited to correct the device name --> HG612.]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:31:09 PM by burakkucat »

anything