Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Custom/home build PCs  (Read 8956 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Custom/home build PCs
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 10:20:46 AM »

Very nice, the Ryzen chips are very impressive, I recently built a 3900X system, that coupled with my i7-5930K @4.5Ghz really chews through H265 transcoding.

Have you checked the memory and infinity fabric are running at the correct speeds? You want the IF at half the memory speed, so if the memory is running at effective speed of 3200 then the IF needs to be 1600, otherwise memory latency is really bad - it's never that good on Ryzen anyway.

I've got mine running at 3800/1900 with much tighter memory timings and GDM disabled which made a huge difference from how it was when I built it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 10:47:11 AM »

scan - use DPD
overclockers uk, - use DPD, free next day for forum members.
ebuyer - use yodel
amazon - use amazon logistics, free next day for prime members, best returns policy

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »

scan - use DPD
overclockers uk, - use DPD, free next day for forum members.
ebuyer - use yodel
amazon - use amazon logistics, free next day for prime members, best returns policy

Yes I'm an Amazon Prime member but I was not confident of getting all that I wanted from them but EBuyer had it all at competitive prices but of course I had to pay delivery, still the main stuff came on a Saturday morning even though it was scheduled for the Monday.

Stuart
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:44:11 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 12:39:32 PM »

For some reason right now amazon have massive stock issues, had to order new UPS from ebuyer.  Also a mini UPS for modem as well.  They sent both separately in same dispatch, and they with 2 different yodel couriers.  The first had ancient tracking a 9am to 7pm deal but luckily it came early.  The second has a driver tracker but no 2 hour window given.  Given speed of deliveries I think it will be in about 2 hours.

Another site I forgot to mention is ccl.

Yesterday when my current UPS did battery test the 6 second test drained about 40% of battery.  I did a 2nd manual test which drained another 15%.  I wanted a newer UPS anyway so used that as excuse to replace it, instead of new battery.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »

Nice.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 08:32:23 AM »

For some reason right now amazon have massive stock issues, had to order new UPS from ebuyer.  Also a mini UPS for modem as well.  They sent both separately in same dispatch, and they with 2 different yodel couriers.  The first had ancient tracking a 9am to 7pm deal but luckily it came early.  The second has a driver tracker but no 2 hour window given.  Given speed of deliveries I think it will be in about 2 hours.

Yesterday when my current UPS did battery test the 6 second test drained about 40% of battery.  I did a 2nd manual test which drained another 15%.  I wanted a newer UPS anyway so used that as excuse to replace it, instead of new battery.

I've never seen a UPS show more than 60% when it actually kicks in. :/  They all suck?

Everything I've read suggests battery tests are kinda a bad idea as these batteries survive longer if they're kept at 100%.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »

[I don’t intend to hijack this thread, so we should split it off if necessary.]

Is it possible to get a small box that will take a top-end AMD Ryzen CPU ? Something like an ultra high powered Raspberry Pi, with just some very fast RAM and an SSD in it?

I suspect that this is self-contradictory nonsense.  ???  [A bit like the fool who wrote a letter to us when I worked at Psion complaining that our handheld 8-bit ‘Organiser’ computer was no good because it didn’t fit in his pocket and also it needed a built-in printer that could print on A4 paper.]

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 09:23:15 AM »

Is it possible to get a small box that will take a top-end AMD Ryzen CPU ? Something like an ultra high powered Raspberry Pi, with just some very fast RAM and an SSD in it?

Frankly I doubt it as the cooling  and power requirements would not allow it to fit, however there are small ATX motherboards and smaller boxes than I've used. All the barebones PCs I've seen are intel based.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »

AMD make IOT devices for industrial applications https://www.amd.com/en/products/embedded-minipc-solutions

But can be quite pricey! https://hackaday.com/2019/12/24/amd-introduces-new-ryzen-mini-pcs-to-challenge-intel/ $250 :-X not really a challenger for PI's starting at $50
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 03:46:49 PM »

[I don’t intend to hijack this thread, so we should split it off if necessary.]

I suspect that this is self-contradictory nonsense.  ???  [A bit like the fool who wrote a letter to us when I worked at Psion complaining that our handheld 8-bit ‘Organiser’ computer was no good because it didn’t fit in his pocket and also it needed a built-in printer that could print on A4 paper.]

A mid-range CPU will need a cooler about as big as the RPi itself, a high-end needs a cooler the size of a small car.  ;)  (possibly a slight exaggeration)

I think my pfSense box is one of the smallest fairly powerful compact PCs you can get, and its slower than a Ryzen 3 2200U (so very low-end by todays standard, but not super low-end) and hits 94C if I max out the CPU.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 03:53:00 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »

Reading some of the blurb on the AMD website, one of their PRO processors has a mere 35W TDP which is pretty impressive. I’d like to read up on the new Zen 3 microarchitecture, rumours sound interesting, but no detail. Agner Fog’s write up on the earlier RyZen processors is very impressive, especially regarding their ILP with 5 micro-ops per clock [!] compared with Intel’s 4. (I wrote something about this in an earlier thread.) All I’m interested in is how fast the thing will compile code; so basic meat and two veg instructions, no graphics, memory i/o and possibly only single threading counts, but I’m not sure about that. If a parallel make is in use then I reverse that completely and core count then becomes really important.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 05:31:16 PM »

I can recommend CCL.

Back when the Ryzen CPU's were first released I bought a Ryzen motherboard bundle from them (still using it!)

I managed to brick the mobo during a BIOS flash upgrade and they replaced it under warranty without question.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 12:36:13 AM »

Reading some of the blurb on the AMD website, one of their PRO processors has a mere 35W TDP which is pretty impressive. I’d like to read up on the new Zen 3 microarchitecture, rumours sound interesting, but no detail. Agner Fog’s write up on the earlier RyZen processors is very impressive, especially regarding their ILP with 5 micro-ops per clock [!] compared with Intel’s 4. (I wrote something about this in an earlier thread.) All I’m interested in is how fast the thing will compile code; so basic meat and two veg instructions, no graphics, memory i/o and possibly only single threading counts, but I’m not sure about that. If a parallel make is in use then I reverse that completely and core count then becomes really important.

When it comes to low-power, its the laptop SoCs and chipset that really benefit.  Low power desktop chips will generally use more as the rest of the chipset is not as efficient, particularly as the motherboards will be designed to handle up to the top-end.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2020, 01:46:22 AM »

Maybe servers now like low power consumption given the charges for data centre power. I seem to remember many years back reading something about how Google had put in an enormous order for vast quantities of AMD-powered boxes because of their high bang per Watt.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 05:51:59 AM »

Its more than Intel are hugely inefficient at the high-end compared to AMD as their manufacturing process is far behind.  At the low-end, they're both pretty efficient as I mentioned before how low my 9900K goes when idle, but its a hog when loaded.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything