Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Firefox on Android  (Read 3024 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
New Firefox on Android
« on: August 26, 2020, 08:56:10 AM »

Today my Firefox on my Android devices updated to the 'New Browser Experience' which in my view is complete and utter rubbish. My wife's phone did the same and she has given up on it and I have to find an alternative. Why do these developers think a total UI change is a good thing? OK I can learn the new one but why on earth should I, also it will not allow my 3 main add-ons to run which includes Fluffy Busting Purity (OK I know that is not supposed to work on Android but it does or at least did with old Firefox).

Anyone else seen this so called improved Firefox yet?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: New Firefox on Android
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 09:11:23 AM »

Yes, and its absolutely dire!! Got the upgrade this morning and haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, but at first glance it is terrible.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:19:31 PM »

Why do these developers think a total UI change is a good thing?

If they didn't it would still look like it did in 2002.

I understand complaining about the current UI and specific changes you don't like but UI overhauls are a necessary evil every now and then.

Must say I'm not a fan of the changes either.
I use Chrome most of the time so won't affect me too much.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »

I can handle the changes and like you I don't use FF much. However the issue is with my wife and her phone, she had this update forced on her with no option to refuse and it is a Beta as well! She is severely dyslexic and has real problems identifying symbols so much that she has over the past 3 years of using a smart phone taught herself to remember that a certain part of the screen performs a certain action (the actual symbol is to her is irrelevant) and on top of this the new UI has such small icons instead of the TopSite ones before even I struggle to see them on a 10inch tablet. There is nothing wrong with the current UI and they are changing in my view simply because they want to, many of the changes in this release could have been done with only minor changes to the UI. This is going to be a real issue for people with sight problems or dyslexia.

Stuart

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 02:53:00 PM »

You need to turn Off automatic updates !.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »

I know and I thought I had. Anyway it's off now. Well actually they are on for everything except Firefox. Still dont agree with the radical UI change though.

Stuart

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 05:26:55 PM »

I kinda prefer having the navigation stuff at the bottom of the screen.  However who thought it a good idea for it to jump between top and bottom needs shooting, be consistent ffs.  >:(
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 07:32:21 PM »

You can choose whether to have it at the top or bottom.