Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Trooli BB extender  (Read 864 times)

PigzMightFly

• Just arrived
Trooli BB extender
« on: September 12, 2020, 02:25:10 PM »

Hi, I have a few questions about Trooli BB:

has anyone experienced what range the router has?

will I need some type of extender? (2 bedroom end of terrace)

If i do what type?

and any recommendations or preferences for a particular device? (roughly £150 to spend)

thanks in advance
     Favourite!   |    Print Thread

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Trooli BB extender
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »

I would be surprised if you need extenders in a two bed house. Unless it has very thick internal walls then pretty much any wireless router should be fine.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Trooli BB extender
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 10:28:52 PM »

Agrees with Tubaman. You should be absolutely fine. You can always add a wireless access point if you do have problems, which I think are very unlikely, but down the bottom of the garden say.

Unlikely: You could get problems if neighbours are using up all the three 2.4GHz channels: channels 1, 6 and 11 - which are the only channels that should ever be used, unless you are using the 2.4 GHz four channel layout (which all neighbours would have to agree on, disaster if both schemes are being used at the same time) of something like 1, 5, 9, 13. So make sure you have the option to use 5 GHz, but this is very unlikely to be a problem as all wireless hardware should offer both 5GHz and 2.4GHz now. When you’re using 5GHz, see what channels your neighbours are using and get together with them to draw a map; in 5GHz, probably best to use bonded pairs of adjacent 20 MHz channels to make 40 MHz rather than using a 20 MHz channel and leaving the odd numbered 20 MHz channel next to it as a ‘hole’ into which a 40 MHz channel will not fit. Given the reduced range of 5 GHz, interference from many distance neighbours may not be quite the same problem as it is with 2.4 GHz. There are awkward problems with using 5GHz channels 100 and above, which I don’t have the time to go into now.