Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Gigaclear is coming to town... apparently  (Read 1835 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Gigaclear is coming to town... apparently
« on: September 11, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »

Hey guys and gals of the forum. I know I've been a bit absent recently, just felt like I wasn't contributing. This could be the end of my hiatus if I feel like there is something I can do. :)

So, with that out of the way, on with the rest of the post!

I have very recently found out Gigaclear is coming next year (at at least it is commencing then), and it's not a rural environment that typically gets covered. Not complaining, since symmetrical speeds are preferred over asymmetric - even 100/100 would be better than G.fast 330/50 (which is more like 293/48 with overheads) for server work and general uploading, and perhaps I will get it if I am still here when it comes (if it does come).

I am just curious to know from those who live in Gigaclear areas:
  • Did the work start near the scheduled date?
  • How many months was it from when works commenced before you could order?
  • Were there any issues with the installation? Including issues relating to installation preferences (such as location).
I know every area is going to be different, but I wanted to get a general idea of what to expect.

Thanks!
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Gigaclear is coming to town... apparently
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 04:57:43 PM »

Hey guys and gals of the forum. I know I've been a bit absent recently, just felt like I wasn't contributing. This could be the end of my hiatus if I feel like there is something I can do. :)

b*cat raises a paw and waves. July 2020 was that long ago.  :)

I have very recently found out Gigaclear is coming next year (at at least it is commencing then), and it's not a rural environment that typically gets covered. Not complaining, since symmetrical speeds are preferred over asymmetric . . .

I would be happy with 5/5 Mbps DS/US.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:26:51 PM »

July 2020 was that long ago.  :)
Posts were few and far between. Since March, not really much to say. :(

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:47:57 PM »

re0 - have i remembered correctly that you are in Cheltenham or have I got you mixed up with someone else?

Only asking as I'm not far from there and haven't heard anything about Gigaclear other than their work in the villages round here as part of the Fastershire project

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 11:47:00 PM »

re0 - have i remembered correctly that you are in Cheltenham or have I got you mixed up with someone else?
Believe you have got me mixed up with some other being. :D I may have mentioned something about G.fast in that area before, so it may be related to that. :)

Only asking as I'm not far from there and haven't heard anything about Gigaclear other than their work in the villages round here as part of the Fastershire project
It looks like some towns and even suburbs of cities are being covered. At least there is hope for FTTP in places where Openreach isn't coming anytime soon. :)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »

Looks like they've been dropping letters about it recently. Hopefully it'll arrive by the end of the year given the pace of the rollout. :fingers:

anything