Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: G.fast Modem Options  (Read 7702 times)

Robbie

G.fast Modem Options
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:48:54 AM »

I have been a happy user of a Vigor 130 for the VDSL years so the switch to a locked-down MT992 has left me bereft when it comes to line stats, line tweaking and the ability to set a route via CLI.

So what are my options:

- Purchase an unlocked MT992 - Expensive and erratic availability?
- Purchase a Vigor 166 v1 - New but potentially hobbled?
- Wait for the Vigor 166 v2 - Vapourware?
- Something else?

The second option looks the cheapest and quickest but the protracted delay, presumably due to issues with the product, may suggest teething issues with the router/modem.  I'm not sure the reduced frequency range of the V1 will be a practical concern given the roll-off but it still may cause incompatibility issues at a later date.

Anyone with experience of a more tweakable G.fast modem than the Openreach MT992?

Regards to all.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: G.fast Modem Options
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »

I don't recall seeing any discussion about line tweaking for G.fast to be honest, its not something common enough for it to come up much.

Line stats would certainly be interesting, but are they a priority?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:36:51 PM »

What about a ZyXEL XMG3927-B50A ?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »

I use the Zyxel XMG3927-B50A, which has access to stats via UI and CLI (so it works with DSLstats). Broadcom chipset, very stable, decent features, very good wireless. I know it's not just a modem but rather a modem-router combo, but it may be worth considering. Though, expect to pay upwards of £150 for it brand new, that's even if you can find it in stock. AAISP may still stock them, so you could contact them.

Looks like there is a single listing on eBay for one, opened but unused if you're willing to give it a punt for a smidge under £100 buy it now - says it's XMG3927-B50A-EU01V1F, but I don't know which plug type it will include (but the PSU has exchangeable plugs, at least with my model, so you could always contact Zyxel I suppose).

As for tweaking, I have never tried. G.fast targets 3 dB by default anyway. Even if tweaking is possible, it would probably be a bad idea.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Robbie

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 02:28:35 PM »

Thanks - can the Zyxel be operated in bridged / modem only mode (ie to keep the routing on my router)?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 02:36:53 PM »

It does have a bridge mode, but I've not personally configured or used it.

Robbie

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »

Thanks again.  I'll do some digging around to see if supports the usual stuff (pppoe, chap, baby jumbos et al).

I've not been on this forum for years and it is good to see it thriving.

Not sure why my IPv4 address is displaying though.

Edit: Doh!   :blush:

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 03:23:16 PM »

As a routing device, it connects over PPPoE using 1500 MTU. But if I can recall correctly, the interface used for bridging must have an MTU of 1508 to accommodate the 8 byte overhead for the full 1500. Upon inspecting the ifconfig output from the CLI, it looks like it'll only be 1500, thus restricting you to 1492 bytes over a bridge using PPPoE. I remember when I tried to use bridging mode with my old Billion modem-router combo with a MikroTik, I recall having issues and don't think I even managed it with modified firmware from Billion themselves.

Don't take this as conclusive since I haven't tried to use it, but the ifconfig output does not give much hope. I know there is a 2 year old discussion here which may be somewhat relevant even though it is referring to older chipsets and models from Zyxel.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 04:43:41 PM »

- Purchase an unlocked MT992 - Expensive and erratic availability?

To date, I am unaware of anyone who has unlocked such a device.

And while I think of it: Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Edited to add: I've only just read your later posts . . .

I've not been on this forum for years and it is good to see it thriving.

You must have previously been using a different forum identity.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:51:15 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 05:51:34 PM »

Do you know how to read G.fast line stats?

CLI routing change - presume own router can do this, or can be done via GUI as will only need static routes LAN-side.

CHAP support I am not sure what you mean here?

Robbie

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »

To date, I am unaware of anyone who has unlocked such a device.

And while I think of it: Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Edited to add: I've only just read your later posts . . .

You must have previously been using a different forum identity.

Hi & thank-you.  Yes, had to grab another ID as I failed to remember anything useful to grab my old one.  Heck, rembering my name is challenge enough.

I'm not aware of an unlock of the Openreach modem either; my thought was more towards buying an unadulterated Huawei version but it's my least favoured option given the availability and price.

Robbie

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 04:51:57 PM »

CHAP support I am not sure what you mean here?

CHAP is one of the PPPoE authentication methods used by many UK ISPs.  Some ISPs use an extended CHAP format, some add a full two-way ID and password auth process whilst others (eg BT) use a dummy or nominal ID & password which is effectively ignored. 

I've come across modems/routers that may not provide the extended CHAP format or work correctly with a real & authenticated pre-shared password.  Others manage the full CHAP routine but don't permit an MTU above 1492 on handshake, effectively becoming the bottleneck for baby jumbo frames, even if the routers at either end supports them.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 12:56:00 AM »

I am aware what CHAP is I just have no idea what you're referring to having never encountered authentication issues across any ISP or bit of kit. I'm not aware of any that require anything other than the basics which anything claiming to support PPP should support.

Please do point me to one for my own information. :)

Seems an appropriate router with baby jumbo support, no modem required, would hit the spot. Mikrotik kit might well hit the spot and is worth looking at. Don't need anything too awesome for UK twisted pair speeds

G.fast lines work somewhat differently from VDSL, not least the ability of it to perform rate adaption in less than a millisecond and this to be the response to errors.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 01:07:03 AM by CarlT »

Robbie

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 02:44:14 PM »

Please do point me to one for my own information. :)

Seems an appropriate router with baby jumbo support, no modem required, would hit the spot.

I'll have a dig around for a truncated or reduced MRU CHAP auth for you.  Don't seem to have one to hand but I think archived a BT ISP pppoe log with a reduced MRU via CHAP on an older Draytek.  Usually under something like
Code: [Select]
show interfaces pppoe pppoe0 log | cat for those playing along.

Pretty happy with my routers.  I tend to use an EdgeRouter-4 as my main, with an ER-8 for test configurations, although I do keep an ER-3 as a racked / warm spare.  They do all I need really.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 02:46:54 PM by Robbie »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »

Fair enough.

That's a new one to me. CHAP frames are tiny. I cannot imagine a PPPoE link where they have to be fragmented or truncated. Even ATM links would be taken care of by AAL5 sitting underneath PPP in the protocol stack.

Sounds like routing is all sorted and a modem wouldn't provide the ability to set static routes over CLI anyway as it's a modem - link layer only. The MT992 seems good. Given G.fast runs on 3dB SNR margin and the protocol itself is optimised I'm not sure what would be tweaked, especially if already at the maximum throughput cap Openreach set.

If you're bereft of line stats and tweaking via G.fast you're really not going to like FTTP  :lol:
Pages: [1] 2 3