Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Modem recommendation for Plusnet ADSL  (Read 1913 times)

rob_frobisher

• Just arrived
Modem recommendation for Plusnet ADSL
« on: September 09, 2020, 09:29:20 PM »

Hi all,

I am looking for some recommendations as to what modem to get for my ADSL Plusnet connection. I am on an exchange only line (so no FFTC sadly) seemingly connecting to an ECI cabinet (showing as Infineon(Lantiq) in the router). I have been having a lot of trouble with dropped connections recently and after a visit from an Openreach engineer (who swapped me onto a different line) I have decided to upgrade my kit a bit.

I stupidly rushed and purchased an ASUS DSL-AC68U without reading all the issues with it's apparently poor mediatek based modem. Since having it connected, my upload speed (which had been reduced to a third of it's previous speed) has not improved and I am stuck using an Interleaved path. Do you think it is possible my 68U is causing issues with my line?

I was thinking of returning it and replacing it with a Draytek 130 and an ASUS RT-AC86U - would this be a sensible modem to use with my line?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Modem recommendation for Plusnet ADSL
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 11:00:30 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I am on an exchange only line (so no FFTC sadly) seemingly connecting to an ECI cabinet (showing as Infineon(Lantiq) in the router).

I'm sure you actually mean that the exchange based DSLAM's linecard has been identified as using an Infineon (Lantiq) chipset.

. . . I have decided to upgrade my kit a bit.

It would be helpful to know what equipment you were previously using and whether you would prefer use a one box or a multi-box setup.

I stupidly rushed and purchased an ASUS DSL-AC68U without reading all the issues with it's apparently poor mediatek based modem. Since having it connected, my upload speed (which had been reduced to a third of it's previous speed) has not improved and I am stuck using an Interleaved path. Do you think it is possible my 68U is causing issues with my line?

Yes, its highly likely.

Once we have an idea of your requirements, financial budget, etc, then suggestions can be made.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

rob_frobisher

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »

Hi - thank you so much for the warm welcome. I have been a longtime lurker and it’s great to finally be able to post a question.

Previously I was using an old Netgear D6300 as a modem/router combo and it was fine, if a bit uninspiring. As I mentioned, I then replaced it with a DSL-AC68U i bought without doing as much research as I should have. I have been very impressed with the feature set of the ASUS, even if the modem is known to be problematic. One feature it has, and I would consider essential going forward, is the ability to fallback to a 4G dongle. I actually get much better speeds using that than my DSL line, particularly regarding upload speeds (0.3Mbps on ADSL vs 14Mbps on 4G).

So regarding my requirements, other than 4G support, I work from home currently so reliability is key. I live in a modest sized apartment, additionally I have a 1G switch connecting most of my equipment with a single line run to the router so the WiFi is only really used for phones And tablets etc, thus WiFi range is not a massive concern. I am happy with a two box solution, especially if it means I get the flexibility to choose an excellent modem. My job is completely dependent upon a consistent connection, so budget (within the realms of prices within the consumer gear space of course) is not too much of an issue.

I would be very interested to hear your suggestions :)

One thing with the Draytek 130 is that I think it does not support G.INP? Although considering I connect to an ECI cabinet which I think doesn’t support it anyway?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 02:07:27 PM »

On my very long ADSL2 line (nearly 5Kl) I use a un-locked HG612 and get 4.5Mbps down.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

rob_frobisher

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:54:57 PM »

Thanks - I ended up purchasing the Draytek Vigor 130 and I have been happy with it thus far.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:25:59 PM »

Just for the record, I use a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A on a "not-short" ADSL2+ link. Due to the distance involved between ATU-C and ATU-R, I have configured the VMG1312-B10A to only use ADSL2 (ITU-T G.992.3) mode (sub-carriers numbered 0 - 255).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.