Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ordered FTTP but forsee a problem  (Read 6160 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Re: Ordered FTTP but forsee a problem
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 12:22:54 PM »

The only NA I know within my 35yrs with the business .... is No Access. You do indeed need to progress this.

Thanks for the info. I was in all day so "No Access" was untrue if they are referring to access to the house - unless they mean no access because of the blockage in the duct.

After trying for ages I managed to speak to a BT person who could not tell me anything useful. Unsurprsingly she cannot tell me the status of this order or provide a revised end date. All she could do was apologise for the delay and that BT/OR will work to resolve it as soon as possible. However I was also told that as OR are not entering peoples houses due to COVID restrictions at the moment they probably would be unable to complete the order anyway. This is the same message as that appears in a bold yellow box on the online order tracking system for this order.

So it looks like this order will be held in suspeneded animation for the forseeable future.

I will raise a formal complaint anyway. It may make me feel better if nothing else.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 06:37:19 PM »

I wasn’t going to post again in this thread, but the saga just rolls on and illustrates how to make a job more difficult than it needs to be.   

I raised a formal complaint with BT more in hope than expectation but I got a phone call back from them less than 24 hours later! So hats off to BT for a change.

The reason the order appears to be stalled is that OR seem to be telling BT I have not signed an authority for OR to dig up my garden to clear the duct. Well that’s a new one. Firstly the blocked duct is in the footpath (if the first OR survey is to be believed), and secondly I have not been asked to sign anything by anybody.

I told BT I would sign whatever OR wants after I have actually seen the authorisation document.

BT told me they would ensure OR present this to me within the next 48 hours and that BT will phone again on Thursday to check that OR have done so.

We shall see what happens next.

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »

This saga just rolls on.

29 September - OR emails an authorisation to dig on my property for me to sign.

29 September – I correct the errors in the description of the work in the OR document, sign it and then email it back to OR.

1 October – Member of BT Complaints Team calls to ensure OR has sent the authorisation document.

3 October – I receive a personalised letter from BT inviting me to sign up for a full fibre regrade - and if additional work is required following an OR survey an estimated installation date would be provided within 28 days of the order date. BT making promises OR cannot keep?     

5 October – Member of BT Complaints team calls me. He confirms that OR have received the signed job authorisation and will now look at scheduling the work. This may be at least 14 working days from 5 October. An appointment is set for the next update call from BT. 

5 October – Email received from OR confirming receipt of signed job authorisation. They also acknowledge that the marking of the route of the ducts in the footpath is no longer present. However they ignore my correction on their job description, namely that the blockage is in the footpath duct and not in the swept tee to my property. They also confirm they will not dig unless I am present – after all this palaver I just do not trust them and want to be there.   

14 October – Agreed date of the next call from BT Complaints Team to check that OR have provided a date for the dig. (That would be +40 days from date of the order before even an estimated date for a dig is provided)

It’s just as well I have a working FFTC connection otherwise I would be getting a little upset by this stage! I’m now reconciled to settling in for the long term.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 09:58:43 PM »

Look on the bright side of things, at least you haven't paid many thousands up front for FTTPod and then been waiting for six months plus for them to slowly install it like many of the comments I've seen on Think Broadband.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 09:21:07 PM »

Todays update.

Without any phone call to me, or any other contact:

1. OR have issued a revised appointment date of 14 January 2021 to look at the duct in the footpath (20 weeks after the original order was raised)
2. BT have closed my complaint. Presumably because OR have issued a revised appointment date?

Couldn't make it up.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:23:17 PM by bbnovice »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2020, 09:33:18 PM »

...and 20 minutes later my complaint is miraculously become open again. (This is from MY BT).

But then I notice that the actual work to fix the duct has been scheduled by OR for New Years Day. (Prior to the installation proposed for 14 January).

Double time for Bank Holiday working anybody?

What on earth are OR and BT doing!

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 06:27:00 PM »

The bandwagon rolls on....

Was contacted by BT to say OR promised to clear the ducts by 22 October, and that BT Complaints will contact me on 23 October to ensure the work has been completed

No show by OR and no phone call from BT at appointed time.

BT actually phone 24 October to tell me that OR have failed to meet the agreed appointment date due to "pressure of work". I knew that already.

OR have now promised ro clear the duct in the footpath by 29 October and BT will phone to confirm that the work has been on 30 October. We shall see - final installation date still showing as the New Year on the BT order.

Now coming up to 2 months delay. Just as well that I am not in a hurry.

BT have now sent a personalised mailshot to all properties in the street with the offer to upgrade to FTTP. As my house is the second property in the street and the blockage in the duct in the footpath is opposite my house they will be unable to provide FTTP service to anybody who responds to their mailshot.

Next installment soon.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:29:14 PM by bbnovice »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 08:28:48 PM »

BT have now sent a personalised mailshot to all properties in the street with the offer to upgrade to FTTP. As my house is the second property in the street and the blockage in the duct in the footpath is opposite my house they will be unable to provide FTTP service to anybody who responds to their mailshot.

Then again, if more people decide to take up the offer and Openreach end up with many customers waiting for them to pull their finger out, it might ACTUALLY get done.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »

And today an OR crew turned up unannounced despite OR constantly being told they have to call me beforehand. This is because the majority of the duct run through the private property is behind locked security gates.

Luckily I was in, and they parked their 3 trucks and set to work. They quickly located the blockage in the duct in the footpath, cleared it, and installed the draw ropes. From what an OR engineer let drop durng a previous visit, I suspect that this should have been done by the sub-contractors who recently enabled the adjacent local area for FTTP.   

This took only about 90 minutes. The only problem seemed to be that the ducts are old and are of an obsolete size, and so no swept-tee replacement was to hand. To complete the job they had to carefully repair the old tee.

So 10 out of 10 for a crew who did a good job in double quick time. It may have been almost worth the 2 month wait.

Downside is that the final installation date remains at January 2021. However I suspect this may now be pulled back - last time I spoke to BT Complaints they were less than ecstatic with OR's performance to date and promised to apply some pressure.

BT Complaints have phoned to say they will contact me Friday with an update. Which rather begs the question - what would be the status of the order be now if it was just me chasing and BT Complaints had never become involved?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »

My son is in currently in a very similar situation to "bbnovice", was very actively persued by BT, his ISP, to upgrade to FTTP from his current 80/20 VDSL-2 FTTC service, after some negotiation on terms he decided to do so and the install was scheduled for 2 weeks later.
The new modem/router arrived from BT on schedule but OR did not show on the scheduled date, no communication/reason received for the no show, when queried, BT provided a new install date just over 2 weeks later.

On new promised install date, two KN Circet tech's arrived on schedule claiming that they should be able to run the new fibre/copper through the existing duct directly from the chamber in next door neighbours garden to the existing hall socket.
Unfortunately, only got a few meters from the chamber and experienced a duct blockage, ironically this was at an area which had just been disturbed and re-tarmac'ed only the day before for a gas installation to next door neighbour !

So, stalemate now for over a month, best my son can get from BT is they are working on a solution.
The situation is probably being complicated by the fact that the likely duct damage area where the cable duct and the new gas pipe cross is in the neighbours drive and this is a rental property which is currently vacant and being refurbished for re-letting.
Having said that, BT/OR have not to date requested any permission to dig in either property.

@bbnovice:
Can you possibly advise the method you deployed to instigated the complaint to BT ?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 06:44:54 PM »

@bbnovice:
Can you possibly advise the method you deployed to instigated the complaint to BT ?

I registered the complaint via the online facility provided through My BT (assuming you have an account). I think this is a better route than phoning as you can then keep an exact written record of the to and fro of events as they unfold. It also shows current status and when BT will contact you next.

The BT complaints procedures seem to have become a lot slicker than when I had cause to raise a different complaint a while ago. The guys who have worked on my complaint (so far) knew their stuff, appear to be empowered to find a solution, and also seem committed to achieving a satisfactory outcome. OR are a different matter. They have consistently failed to meet dates (which they have provided) and not done what they promised. This is odd as the OR engineers (when they do arrive on site) have always seemed to know their stuff and have completed their assigned tasks in a professional manner. I suspect that OR internal processes and management may be the cause, but I must admit to speculation here.

Its been an interesting journey.         

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2020, 10:51:44 AM »

@bbnovice:

Many thanks for the information regarding BT complaints procedure , much appreciated, will pass the details on to my son, he has been a BT BB/phone patron for close to 20 years and his current circumstances are very similar to yours.

Good luck with your FTTP installation, hopefully your install date will now be brough forward as the "blocked duct" issue has been resolved, will follow progress.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »

Reading this and thinking to myself "This is insane".

I fully understand that there is a pandemic going on but, if BT want people to upgrade to FTTP they seriously need to sort out the way they communicate internally because this sounds like a big mess.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »

Reading this and thinking to myself "This is insane".

I fully understand that there is a pandemic going on but, if BT want people to upgrade to FTTP they seriously need to sort out the way they communicate internally because this sounds like a big mess.

You only hear about the bad jobs on these forums ..... hundreds of thousands of jobs that go through without issue. But nobody wants to hear about them.  ;)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »

I'm living in a Norman Wisdom film.

This morning (Friday) 2 Openreach trucks and 4 OR engineers turned up unannounced to do the same job that was completed Monday.

They had no visibility of the work done on Monday on their systems apparently.

So they signed off their job as complete, apologised for the confusion and left.

I assure you that I'm not making any of this up. Black Sheep - let me assure you I'm not having a go at the individual OR engineers.   

Next exciting installment to follow.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything