Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Waiting For FTTP In Wakefield  (Read 7188 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Waiting For FTTP In Wakefield
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2020, 12:42:30 AM »

The newer ONTs (both Nokia and Huawei) are tiny, not much bigger than the master socket.

You'll probably get a Huawei ONT going by Carls install on the same exchange, unless there's a shiny new Nokia Head-End just built.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ChemistDude

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »

The newer ONTs (both Nokia and Huawei) are tiny, not much bigger than the master socket.

You'll probably get a Huawei ONT going by Carls install on the same exchange, unless there's a shiny new Nokia Head-End just built.

Not sure which one I have j0hn, please let me know!

The install went ahead fine yesterday. I didn't post because I wasn't getting the speeds I wanted but all appears to be working fine now.

Looks fairly neat still.

Not happy with the Wi-Fi speeds from this at all. Even when stood next to it, speeds are shocking!

ONT install looks neat. Would have preferred it over the BT telephone socket but for whatever reason couldn't be done:

And finally, the obligatory speedtest  :cool:

Boom!

The above speed is from my desktop pc via ethernet. For whatever reason, my work laptop doesn't seem to be able to exceed 700Mb on a speed test, may have to look and see if there's a driver issue and or change the network cable.

The download yesterday once they left was 300-400Mb but when I called BT, they advised that on day one, the speed is gradually cranked up automatically every hour till it reaches 900Mb.  Also, yesterday the upload seemed to be locked at 50Mb. Quick call to BT today and they suggested a router reset which resolved the issue and now getting around 100Mb.

I'm delighted with the result! Now need to look into Wi-Fi 6 mesh routers......or dare I say a Unify Dream Machine Pro and some AP's. I like the idea of seperate SSID's and VPN's for different gear. Maybe some of you have recommendations?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:58:08 PM by ChemistDude »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2020, 12:01:06 AM »

It looks like a Huawei ONT, to me. Unfortunately, when I downloaded a copy of the image, it wasn't in high resolution . . . so I can't be absolutely sure.

j0hn / CarlT -- What's your opinion, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2020, 12:55:40 AM »

Looks like the new Huawei "mini" ONT.
Same size as the Nokia ONT but the Nokia appears to have a curve moulded into the front casing, missing on the install here.

A new build with wired Ethernet! Looks a nice setup.

Edit: the power, Ethernet and optical ports are in the same positions in both models, but on the 4 LEDs the Power and LAN/Port lights are on opposite sides.

Here's the data sheet for the Nokia ONT. The images are of the exact same ONT only in a very non OpenReach matte black.

I don't have a clue what the model number of the new Huawei ONT is. I'm sure it will be written on the rear of the device.

[Moderator edited to rotate the second image by 90 degrees clockwise and to rename both images.]
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 10:53:49 PM by burakkucat »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »

Wakefield's FTTP is via a Huawei OLT. No need for any Nokia kit for the foreseeable. Wakefield started off ECI however Huawei was installed for BDUK and that same OLT is carrying this post.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2020, 05:58:28 PM »

j0hn / CarlT -- Thank you, both.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2020, 10:21:45 PM »

The good chemist there is using the same Cablelink, MSE, etc, I am to send this in fact.

Both very fortunate: Wakefield's coverage is minimal for right now. One of the neglected cities.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything