Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Waiting For FTTP In Wakefield  (Read 7081 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Waiting For FTTP In Wakefield
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 01:45:09 PM »

Looking at what councils have publically declared spending their grants on paints an interesting picture.

One city similar sized to Leicester has quoted they spending 17million to ensure gigabit broadband for residents.  Leicester got a 20 million grant and no mention of FTTP anywhere on its document.

So this perhaps gives an idea of local costs, whether these are complete costs or just subsidies paid to FTTP provider remains to be seen but it is interesting to read those files.

Seems you got a proper home internet setup now Carl, happy for you.

ChemistDude

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 11:01:45 PM »

On Wednesday we had some Openreach workers onsite doing final checks on the ducts:

I went over for a chat and they said that the plans have been updated to include all streets in the development and that this is now a "high escalation" project with works commencing in 2-3 weeks. I don't want to get my hopes up too much so I've emailed my Openreach contact in the Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complants team for an update as that review should have taken place by now. Hopefully getting a response early this week.

I had also contacted West Yorkshire Combined Authority (Superfast West Yorkshire) and they have also been in contact with Openreach to request that all streets be covered. The chap I had been in contact with called me to say that Openreach have decided it is a no brainer to cover my street. Again I'll wait for official confirmation from my Openreach contact before getting too excited.

I for one will be absolutely amazed if it is the case that I have managed to get Openreach to both include my street and simultaneously ultra fast track the fibre roll out. Lets see what happens in the coming few weeks!!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:37:38 AM by ChemistDude »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 12:05:55 AM »

Makes sense for them to get it done at the same time as the rest of the properties so all good.

Glad to see Wakefield getting more FTTP love.

ChemistDude

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 09:47:25 PM »

So something strange happened today. Lots of Openreach vans showed up!

It seems they've laid fibre in my street! I spoke to one of the installers I spoke to last week when they were checking the ducts. He advised that it would be all connected up to the aggregation node in 3 days and that I should be able to order FTTP in a few weeks time.

I called my contact in Openreach and he advised it would be best to take what the workers on site say with a pinch of salt and to wait till he's heard back from the delivery manager. Still waiting for official confirmation but you can't argue with the fact that they have actually laid the fibre cable today! Lets see what the next few days brings.

HIGH ESCALATION INDEED!!!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:00:01 PM by ChemistDude »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 10:07:58 AM »

Excellent.

Looking at that place an absolute no brainer, too. I would suspect leaving you out was an oversight and you've been mixed into the rest of the build.

If you wouldn't mind: don't use too much bandwidth or use TalkTalk or Sky. All the rest from the Wakefield exchange belongs to me - thank you!

ChemistDude

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »

Excellent.

Looking at that place an absolute no brainer, too. I would suspect leaving you out was an oversight and you've been mixed into the rest of the build.

If you wouldn't mind: don't use too much bandwidth or use TalkTalk or Sky. All the rest from the Wakefield exchange belongs to me - thank you!

Thanks! And yeah, when the time comes I’ll set myself a bandwidth cap shall I  ;D

ChemistDude

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 04:09:51 PM »

They were back again today.

I spoke to one of the installers and was told that I'd spoken to the right person to get this all sorted because they've been told to get this all done as quickly as possible. Suggesting now that this will all be connected by the end of the week and ready for us to order next week.

I asked why the fibre checker still says that there are "No Plans". He said they won't update that till he's done his report after he's installed it all and got it connected. Whatever the case, its clear that Openreach operates as multiple silo's that don't talk to each other.

Anxious to get my order in. Don't know how those who've waited 12-18 months + for FTTPoD have the patience!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:32:50 PM by ChemistDude »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 03:13:10 AM »

Excellent.

That brings an interesting question, how much bandwidth is there where all the PONs connect back up?  Is it likely to just be 10Gbit?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2020, 03:16:27 AM »

Anxious to get my order in. Don't know how those who've waited 12-18 months + for FTTPoD have the patience!

True, having paid the money it must be awful.

Although I'm finding it pretty hard myself when my exchange was supposed to be done by now and its been delayed to "start" in 2022 due to power problems at the exchange.

I mean seriously, surely it doesn't take two years to overhaul the power at an exchange?  I'm really hoping they quoted the worst-case scenario and things start much sooner.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:14:54 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »

That brings an interesting question, how much bandwidth is there where all the PONs connect back up?  Is it likely to just be 10Gbit?

No. It's a Huawei MA5600T that feeds the Wakefield PONs alongside some cabinets. In the case of BT Wholesale there are 2 x Nokia 7750 SRs in the exchange, both of which will be 3.2 Tbit/s chassis if they aren't already. The MA5600T has a 1.92 Tbit/s switching capacity.

BT Wholesale have at least 2 x 10 Gbit links, one to each SR, to that OLT. TalkTalk have a 10 G out of the back of the Huawei, Sky I would assume do, Vodafone no idea.

They have as much bandwidth as is needed, and Cablelinks are cheap. The only issue that might arise is where certain providers have equipment with only two 10 Gbit/s links - which assuming you need one in from other exchanges and one out to core leaves only gigabit ports for Cablelinks.

ChemistDude

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 10:21:29 PM »

Still no FTTP yet but the Openreach fibre checker finally says this for my post code:

Here's hoping not long now

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 07:49:22 AM »

Openreach have a very different definition of the word "soon" than I do.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2020, 08:54:44 AM »

Yes they certainly do  ;D
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

busterboy

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 08:57:48 AM »

I've had this notification since March 2017 and still waiting. :no:

Chrysalis