Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Waiting For FTTP In Wakefield  (Read 7088 times)

ChemistDude

Waiting For FTTP In Wakefield
« on: July 12, 2020, 01:49:26 AM »

[Moderator note. This topic has been created by splitting off the following posts from CarlT's "After a week on a gigabit" thread.]

I have the following for you:

Speedtest.net hosts that can handle a gigabit in my experience don't exist.
The Think Broadband speedtest doesn't come close to handling a gigabit. Presumably all the other BT customers with a gigabit have overwhelmed it.
Fast.com is about the only thing that comes close.

The main cool thing about having a gigabit is that you basically can't max it out downstream.

It's not transformative. I'm not even touching the sides of the capacity. It's a good to have but really no difference noticed from 300 Mbit apart from running speed tests just now.

BT Wholesale and Openreach have nailed it in Wakefield: hasn't skipped a beat.

How did you manage to get FTTP in Wakefield? I’m in one of the 2018 new build developments in WF1 by Paragon Business Park and Openreach said there are no plans for our area.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 06:21:29 PM by burakkucat »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Waiting For FTTP In Wakefield
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 10:00:07 AM »

He's on a new build estate, so FTTP was installed as part of building the estate.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#10/53.6566/-1.4128/geafttp/

Plenty FTTP in Wakefield. As seen on the map above.

I advised you on ThinkBroadband that OpenReach are very likely to come back to your new build and add Fibre.

Carl picked an estate that definitely had it from scratch so no waiting around.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 04:16:50 PM »

How did you manage to get FTTP in Wakefield? I’m in one of the 2018 new build developments in WF1 by Paragon Business Park and Openreach said there are no plans for our area.

Cheers

Having a closer look Paragon Business Park has 2 small FTTP deployments surrounding it.

Have you ever your details on OpenReach.com and looked at what their online checker says for your address?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:19:33 PM by j0hn »

ChemistDude

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 11:31:56 PM »

Having a closer look Paragon Business Park has 2 small FTTP deployments surrounding it.

Have you ever your details on OpenReach.com and looked at what their online checker says for your address?
Hi j0hn. For one of the streets in my development post code: WF1 2FP (and my own), the Openreach fibre check just states FTTC is available. Using the BT checker it states FTTC and FTTPoD available.

Openreach said this when I contacted them:
I have checked and I cannot see any plans in this area to supply Fibre to the Premise (FTTP) in your area. I can see you already have FTTC on your line so you could consider our Community Fibre Partnership scheme. We can’t always guarantee this will be feasible but we would be willing to look at it if you are interested. To find out more please visit our website

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/community-...

Not sure how to proceed from here. Provisionally I’ve applied for a quote from Cereberus. It seems Wakefield is not included in any voucher schemes etc either. Please could you give me your opinion on the best way to proceed to get FTTP in my area? Would more expressions of interest with Openreach help? Does the fact those other developments close by have it mean that it could be a lower cost to have FTTPoD installed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:47:09 PM by ChemistDude »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 04:13:26 AM »

The fact other areas have it near by doesn't affect the cost of FTTPoD.
They still need to build it from the nearest Aggregation Node to your property.

If having OpenReach FTTP is worth (very roughly) between £5-10k build charge and a year at over £100 a month then you may wish to pursue FTTPoD.
You'll need to pay the £250 survey fee before getting the actual costs though.

Getting more expressions of interest doesn't achieve much.

In my opinion you're best just waiting.
OpenReach are retro fitting FTTP to new build properties (built in the past 20 or so years) on quite a large scale.

As the existing ducting that brings your copper line is fairly new it is usually clear of blockages and fairly cheap and easy for them to pull the fibre through.

My development was built 8 years ago and OpenReach came along a couple months ago and installed FTTP.
They are doing the majority of new builds around me and across the country.

Your development is easy pickings and is much more likely to be covered before a Wakefield wide rollout.

I can't remember the last time I seen an FTTPoD quote under £5k.
See what your Cerberus quote comes out at and make your decision from there.
Only you can device if FTTP is worth that much to you.

Personally I know I would be gutted (understatement) if I dropped that much cash and OpenReach came along shortly after and did all the surrounding new builds.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 04:15:55 AM »

Check the OpenReach site again with your postcode.

Scroll down.

Faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your area soon. Full Fibre is our fastest technology, but your exact speed will depend on which broadband provider and package you choose. Sign up for news and updates.

That's the postcode you gave above. Looks like all the surrounding streets also have FTTP coming.

Enjoy if that covers you.;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 04:19:43 AM by j0hn »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 06:18:44 AM »

Just in case ChemistDude is not sure which checker.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

And there's a map here, although there's nothing currently showing for Wakefield- note it only shows Fibre First area's.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »

Cheers

New build. Yours appears to be on the retro new sites list though - Openreach taking developments built relatively recently, so with the right ducts in the ground, and deploying FTTP. It's relatively cheap and relatively quick.

ChemistDude

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »

The fact other areas have it near by doesn't affect the cost of FTTPoD.
They still need to build it from the nearest Aggregation Node to your property.

If having OpenReach FTTP is worth (very roughly) between £5-10k build charge and a year at over £100 a month then you may wish to pursue FTTPoD.
You'll need to pay the £250 survey fee before getting the actual costs though.

Getting more expressions of interest doesn't achieve much.

In my opinion you're best just waiting.
OpenReach are retro fitting FTTP to new build properties (built in the past 20 or so years) on quite a large scale.

As the existing ducting that brings your copper line is fairly new it is usually clear of blockages and fairly cheap and easy for them to pull the fibre through.

My development was built 8 years ago and OpenReach came along a couple months ago and installed FTTP.
They are doing the majority of new builds around me and across the country.

Your development is easy pickings and is much more likely to be covered before a Wakefield wide rollout.

I can't remember the last time I seen an FTTPoD quote under £5k.
See what your Cerberus quote comes out at and make your decision from there.
Only you can device if FTTP is worth that much to you.

Personally I know I would be gutted (understatement) if I dropped that much cash and OpenReach came along shortly after and did all the surrounding new builds.
Thank you very much for your feedback. This is very helpful indeed. Much appreciated.

ChemistDude

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 12:39:41 PM »

Check the OpenReach site again with your postcode.

Scroll down.

That's the postcode you gave above. Looks like all the surrounding streets also have FTTP coming.

Enjoy if that covers you.;)

Thank you J0hn.

This is whats happening to our development:

WF1 2FU (Ruby Court) - NO PLANS FOR FTTP

WF1 2FQ (Stockbridge Way) - NO PLANS FOR FTTP

WF1 2FW (Prince Albert Court) - NO PLANS FOR FTTP
--------------------------------------

WF1 2FP (Prince Albert Road) - FTTP coming soon

WF1 2FR (Ruby Street) - FTTP coming soon

WF1 2FS (Reeds Way) - FTTP coming soon

WF1 2FT (Timperley Close) - FTTP coming soon

WF1 2FX (Red Hall Avenue) - FTTP coming soon

WF1 2DF (Red Hall Crescent) - FTTP coming soon

Site plan, Red lines are not getting FTTP, blue lines are getting FTTP:

Looks like my specific post code is not covered but that is strange that the vast majority of the development seems to be getting it! Why would they miss off areas when we are literally adjacent to a future FTTP road?!? I've sent another ticket to OpenReach in the meantime.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:40:57 PM by ChemistDude »

ChemistDude

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »

Just in case ChemistDude is not sure which checker.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

And there's a map here, although there's nothing currently showing for Wakefield- note it only shows Fibre First area's.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first
Thanks Ronski, that is the one I was using but very kind of you to check.

ChemistDude

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 12:41:34 PM »

New build. Yours appears to be on the retro new sites list though - Openreach taking developments built relatively recently, so with the right ducts in the ground, and deploying FTTP. It's relatively cheap and relatively quick.
Hi Carl, Is the retro new sites list available online or is that insider knowledge? Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:44:48 PM by ChemistDude »

ChemistDude

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »

So it turns out the my street and 2 others are not part of the project that is providing FTTP to the rest of the 9 street development. Apparently there wasn't enough budget in the original project to cover all the premises in the area.

Now, the promising news is that as a result of me and a few others contacting them, they are going to undertake a review of the original project and see if they can add my street and another to the original plans. The Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complants chap I'm in contact with has been quite helpful actually. He can't make guarantees but reckons
getting my street added is likely to be successful. Find out more in 2 weeks once the review has been done.

As it happens, an Openreach subcontractor checked all the BT boxes/ducts last week and they're all clear so that should hopefully be a positive too.

Will keep you all posted.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 09:20:45 PM by ChemistDude »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 09:51:32 AM »

Indeed, I've found the Infrastructure Solutions Executive Level Complaints Team are very proactive.
I was really surprised when they explained exactly why my area was delayed and gave an idea of when they hope to resume it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything