Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTC Speed Issue  (Read 2923 times)

arunmn73

Re: FTTC Speed Issue
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 09:15:20 AM »

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Sagecom device TalkTalk supply (in terms of what chipset it has and whether or not this is any good). What I can tell you is that all lines are slightly different, and on each there can be noticeable differences in performance depending on the modem used, so the fact that the Sagecom device is newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Indeed, one of the favourite modems on this forum, the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A, is getting pretty old now and has long been discontinued. That said, I am surprised there is such a large difference between the two. Are the speed tests done using an Ethernet connection?

Multiple resyncs can also upset the DLM, so try not to change between the routers too many times. My suggestion for the moment is to leave your D-Link device connected and left alone for as long as possible and see if the connection improves further.

I wouldn't say there is anything in particular to report to TalkTalk at this stage.

Many thanks for all your advice. That is exactly what I plan to do, keep on dlink and monitor over next few days.

This is the router I replaced- https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/39

[Moderator edited to merge two posts into one.]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:05:55 PM by burakkucat »

arunmn73

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 12:30:47 PM »

Hi folks. I have been monitoring my speed issue and it was again fine over Sunday and Monday and today again the speed started to feel slow so I did a few speed tests and whilst it rang 18mb down and 0.9mb up, the latency was very highly 270ms. So I went and got the line stats via my dlink router which I have attached. I would be grateful if anyone can shed light on a few things:
Why am I now showing CRC when I did not have any on my last post on Sunday
FEC is showing 0/some large number where on Sunday I had a few FEC
Why is my latency increased suddenly, seems to be changing every 2 days
I also see my uptime is showing 9 hrs. Why is that I changed to this dlink router on Sunday and have not changed or switched it off, so should the up time not be much higher? Is it getting possibly disconnected automatically due to an issue?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 03:07:24 PM »

The line stats you are providing from your D-Link router are very limited and as such make it difficult to offer a very definitive opinion on your line condition, have a look at the "DSLStats" web site and you can see the sort of detail that is available from a suitable router, not sure if your particular D-Link router falls into that catagory, basically has to use a Broadcom chip set and have Telnet/BusyBox access.

From the limited stats provided, the best estimation of line length is from DS line attenuation (shown as DownLink on your router) yours is 26.9 dB, that's a long line (house to PCP/fibre cabinet) by VDSL-2 standards, measuring physical distance to the cabinet can be misleading as the cable very often does not take a direct route.
As a close comparison, my line shows a 29.8 dB. DS attenuation and I get very close to 40 Mbps. DS synch and approx. 5.6 Mbps. US synch speeds, so in theory, your line could do better but accepting that every line is unique and every modem/router can behave well or badly on different lines.

Your DS SNRM shows 5.9 dB which would normally indicate that a greater DS synch speed could be achieved but would really need to know if your fibre cabinet was Huawei or ECI and if DS G.Inp was active.

I also see my uptime is showing 9 hrs. Why is that I changed to this dlink router on Sunday and have not changed or switched it off
Your stats show the "DSL up-time", it's very likely you had a DLM re-synch for some reason, this usually occurs in the early hours of the morning, approx. 01:00 to 04:00 hrs. but can be any time, more detailed router stats would show "router up time" as well so you could tell the difference between a DLM re-synch and a re-boot of the router.

Try to establish if your D-Link router supports more detailed stats provision, there's plenty of good information available on the subject on this forum and on the "Broadband" information section, with more detailed stats there will be a much better chance of diagnosing if your line is performing to it's best capability or you do indeed have an issue.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

arunmn73

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 05:44:28 PM »

Many thanks for all your advice, my router is not compatible but I will see what else I can find online. The key thing that baffles me is that I have the same set up for years and have never had this issue but since I got a new D line the latency issue and throughput issues surfaced. I can understand if something has changed from my internal set up but everything is as is.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 06:17:06 PM »

Many thanks for all your advice, my router is not compatible but I will see what else I can find online.

The old BT issue Huawei HG-612 modem (unlocked) would fit the bill for stats harvesting, they are very cheaply and readily available on line and very easy to unlock, all details available on this forum, you could bridge this to your existing hardware to perform router function I would think so outlay should be modest.
DSLStats will run on Windows, Linux or a Raspberry Pi.
RouterStats will run on Windows or Linux (under Wine)
Both programs are free.

The key thing that baffles me is that I have the same set up for years and have never had this issue

As with all things in life, it's OK until it's not OK, your D side line swap is likely to be a factor I would have thought, certainly worth further investigation.
Extract, log, record some proper line stats, preferably on a 24/7 basis with "DSLSDtats" or "RouterStats" and advice/analysis will be available here.

arunmn73

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 06:40:44 PM »

The old BT issue Huawei HG-612 modem (unlocked) would fit the bill for stats harvesting, they are very cheaply and readily available on line and very easy to unlock, all details available on this forum, you could bridge this to your existing hardware to perform router function I would think so outlay should be modest.
DSLStats will run on Windows, Linux or a Raspberry Pi.
RouterStats will run on Windows or Linux (under Wine)
Both programs are free.

As with all things in life, it's OK until it's not OK, your D side line swap is likely to be a factor I would have thought, certainly worth further investigation.
Extract, log, record some proper line stats, preferably on a 24/7 basis with "DSLSDtats" or "RouterStats" and advice/analysis will be available here.

Appreciate that but the 6 OR engineers who have been to the house and ran countless test have categorically stayed the line is perfect (even did a lift and shift so say I have a brand new line) and it could be down to an MDF issue with talk talk equipment at the cabinet. I did not even know that ISPs has their own equipment but OR engineer says they do / talk talk, sky and of course BT ate the three that do. Re DSL stats site I went on it but my dlink 3872 model is not on the compatible list 3870 is. I could still try and see if it works. I just don’t want to gubb my router by doing something and be left with no internet! This is perhaps my paranoia kicking in as I have now been passed from pillar to post between OR and talk talk.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 07:27:06 PM »

I understand you dilema.

Have you checked RouterStats for modem compatability:
http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

Could likely be the same issue as DSLStats if your modem/router does not use a Broadcom chip set.
There is very much cut down version of RouterStats which works with Lantiq chip sets such as earlier BT Home Hubs, PN Hub One etc., see site, limited stats but better than nothing.

I did not even know that ISPs has their own equipment but OR engineer says they do
On ADSL2/2+ service (LLU) TT do have their own equipment at most major exchanges.
I don't believe this is the case on VDSL2 (FTTC) service, there is no "other provider" kit in the BTw/OR FTTC (DSLAM) cabinets.
I'am sure I will be corrected on this if untrue !

my dlink 3872 model is not on the compatible list 3870 is
Give it a try, the program author, roseway (Eric), would be the first to admit that the device compatability list is not completely comprehensive.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 07:31:34 PM »

On ADSL2/2+ service (LLU) TT do have their own equipment at most major exchanges.
I don't believe this is the case on VDSL2 (FTTC) service, there is no "other provider" kit in the BTw/OR FTTC (DSLAM) cabinets.

For VDSL2 based services, all ISP/CP's equipment is situated in the (fibre) head-end exchange building.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

arunmn73

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 12:44:56 PM »

Hi,

I have been trying to get a tool that can capture more details but all the one mentioned here don’t work for me, does not allow me to remote into my router. I downloaded a tool called pingplotter to capture pins and pack loss details. I have attached the line stats from my router and a snap of the ping trace to google. As you can see there is packet loss but I cannot figure out what is causing it. When I run a speed test it comes with 19down and 1 up but due to Hugh latancy the speed does not translate into performance. The CRC and FEC are also high. Any suggestions on what I could do as ISP is simply looking at speed test and not doing anything. Thanks in advance.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2020, 01:38:45 PM »

I will speculate you on a ECI cabinet, that is just speculation mind.

If I am right then I think whats  happened is the line has too many errors and is getting moved onto a interleaving profile which in turn increases latency, with that FEC count, you not going back to fast path any time soon.

Do you use powerline networking?

arunmn73

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »

Thanks, Yes I used to use powerline adapter but have removed that and now, any suggestions on what I can do, it’s driving me insane! Do you think it could have started since my line change?
Pages: 1 [2]

anything