Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTC Speed Issue  (Read 2895 times)

arunmn73

FTTC Speed Issue
« on: September 06, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »

Hi,
I am looking for some advice and guidance re an intermittent issue with my broadband speed. I am with TalkTalk and in a vdsl package with a min download of 10mbps and max of 22mbps. This is because my street is a bit away from the exchange. That said, I have for years got between 18-20 mbps until 2 weeks back when I had intermittent network dropping. Openreach came out and identified a fail and gave me a new line. The speed was fine for a day and the next day it went right down with a latancy of between 70ms and 800ms. I have never seen any latency over 20ms until this issue. Nothing has changed at my end with respect to set up that would cause this. The high latency was obviously affecting my speeds. I have since had 5 OR engineer visits and 2 new routers from TalkTalk. There were a few other issues which OR resolved and they have also done a lift and shift. Whilst my speed from exchange to the house was shown at 22mbps, I was still getting low speeds and high latancy. OR sent an OR fiver engineer who reset my DLM profile and that immediately resolve ld my issue. The OR engineer explained that profile should have reset automatically but in my case it did not which was causing my speed issue even though I was getting the max speed to premesis. The performance was great for 3 days with no issues I.e. low latancy and 20mbps speed. This morning the high latancy and poor speed resurfaced and I am at a loss why that happened. Can anyone please advise what might be causing this and what my options are. I am so frustrated and upset due to this ongoing issue with no end in sight.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I know there ta da lot more knowledgeable folks here than me.

Thanks

mofa2020

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC Speed Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 03:32:36 PM »

Welcome to the forum  :)

Would you post line stats?

arunmn73

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »

Hi,
How do I get the line stats to post?

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »

From the modem/router user interface. What is the modem/router model?

arunmn73

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »

It’s was the Latest sagemcom TalkTalk WiFi hub but I have changed that to an older TalkTalk d-link DSL-3872 router. The strange thing is that by changing to the d-link router the speed has increased, which I will monitor over next day or so as this has happened before where I have change to this route and speed gets better and then drops. But the latest sagemcom TalkTalk WiFi hub was the one where the speed suddenly dropped from this morning. I don’t think it’s a router issue whilst readers may see it that way.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 08:12:34 PM »

Sorry for the late reply I were on mobile, hoping that the TalkTalk D-link DSL-3872 looks like the DSL-3782 model you might find the same section in the picture just after logging in to router page and clicking on DSL then select the whole section text with mouse cursor and copy/paste in reply here.

arunmn73

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 08:21:51 PM »

Attached, thanks

arunmn73

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 08:36:33 PM »

What I have read in a few forums is this type of intermittent speed issues can be down to a problem with my vdsl profile between openreach and TalkTalk. Could that be the problem? what I don’t understand is why my profile would suddenly have an issue when I didn’t have any issues before this line fault started two weeks ago. The fact that the reset of my profile by OR engineer immediately fixed the issue makes me wonder that might be accurate, however the fact of the problem resurfaced after three days baffles me.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 08:44:17 PM »

Well from the posted picture the line is doing fine in the past 10 hrs, SNRM shows the speed is healthy and DLM is giving all the speed line can handle..

BUT for this part
This is because my street is a bit away from the exchange.

what actually matters is the line distance from FTTC cabinet to your house/building, can you confirm the location of OR cabinet number from BT checker and its approximate distance to you? because at this speed either your line distance is way long to the cabinet or may something else causing the low attainable speed.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 08:52:05 PM »

What I have read in a few forums is this type of intermittent speed issues can be down to a problem with my vdsl profile between openreach and TalkTalk. Could that be the problem? what I don’t understand is why my profile would suddenly have an issue when I didn’t have any issues before this line fault started two weeks ago. The fact that the reset of my profile by OR engineer immediately fixed the issue makes me wonder that might be accurate, however the fact of the problem resurfaced after three days baffles me.

could be that, but other Kitzens would be more helpful in this issue cause I am not from UK and do not have enough knowledge about OR and ISPs profiles.

arunmn73

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 09:52:34 PM »

Well from the posted picture the line is doing fine in the past 10 hrs, SNRM shows the speed is healthy and DLM is giving all the speed line can handle..

BUT for this part
what actually matters is the line distance from FTTC cabinet to your house/building, can you confirm the location of OR cabinet number from BT checker and its approximate distance to you? because at this speed either your line distance is way long to the cabinet or may something else causing the low attainable speed.

Many thanks for all your responses, the distance is around 1.4km so it’s a bit away but the key is that I have never has this speed issue in years so not sure why it’s started all of a sudden. I agree the line stats show all is well and that is what the OR engineer said as well which is also why I believe it’s an issue with my profile (the one that OR engineer reset) to resolve the speed issue in the first place. Hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on possible issue with my profile and if so what, if anything, I can do.

MTW

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 10:14:11 PM »

You say you are getting poor download speed, but what speed are you actually getting?

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:00:12 PM »

From your stats it looks like your sync speed is 22Mbps which, as you say, is what TalkTalk predicted so all looks good there. What is your actual throughput speed (i.e. as measured by a speed test website)?

As for the increased latency, it looks like the DLM has applied interleaving to your line (hence the non-zero FEC count) which does increase latency. This does happen when the DLM is reset, but usually is taken off after a few days. Then again, your FEC count seems very high for just 10 hour of uptime. FECs are effectively 'errors that didn't happen', as the interleaving has corrected them, however if interleaving was off these would likely be a large number of CRCs which likely would effect your throughput speed. It looks like the DLM is doing its job here, and keeping interleaving on to keep your line stable. The question is why is this necessary? Can you hear any noise on the line if you use a corded phone plugged into the test socket?

arunmn73

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 06:48:15 AM »

From your stats it looks like your sync speed is 22Mbps which, as you say, is what TalkTalk predicted so all looks good there. What is your actual throughput speed (i.e. as measured by a speed test website)?

As for the increased latency, it looks like the DLM has applied interleaving to your line (hence the non-zero FEC count) which does increase latency. This does happen when the DLM is reset, but usually is taken off after a few days. Then again, your FEC count seems very high for just 10 hour of uptime. FECs are effectively 'errors that didn't happen', as the interleaving has corrected them, however if interleaving was off these would likely be a large number of CRCs which likely would effect your throughput speed. It looks like the DLM is doing its job here, and keeping interleaving on to keep your line stable. The question is why is this necessary? Can you hear any noise on the line if you use a corded phone plugged into the test socket?

Thanks, no I cannot hear any disturbance in the phone line, it’s crystal clear. The OR engineer also tested the line with his special phone like device when he rest my profile last week and said there were no errors on voice or data. From what you are saying is this the DLM doing its thing and I just need to ride it out? Yesterday morning when i had my brand new WiFi hub router plugged and which was giving me consistent 20 up and 1 down dropped to 7up and 0.3 down. I did a speed test a few times and speeds  were similar, the latency was sky high. I simply could not use the Internet. as I said above, I swapped to my older dlink router and have since seen the speed increase to 18 up and 0.8 down. This morning the speed has been similar albeit the latency yesterday was around 75ms but this morning it’s 36ms (I used to always have latency between 11ms and 20ms which I did see for the 3 days after my profile was rest do believe it was working similar to pre-fault). I am unsure why the issue gets better with a different router as I am pretty sure the other router is not faulty. It’s brand new, I will just monitor the speeds and see how it plays out. You all can see while the sync speed is great my throughput is getting affected. I have never had anything like this ever before, hence I am so confused. Is there any obvious signs of issues that I can challenge TalkTalk?

siofjofj

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Sagecom device TalkTalk supply (in terms of what chipset it has and whether or not this is any good). What I can tell you is that all lines are slightly different, and on each there can be noticeable differences in performance depending on the modem used, so the fact that the Sagecom device is newer doesn't necessarily mean better. Indeed, one of the favourite modems on this forum, the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A, is getting pretty old now and has long been discontinued. That said, I am surprised there is such a large difference between the two. Are the speed tests done using an Ethernet connection?

Multiple resyncs can also upset the DLM, so try not to change between the routers too many times. My suggestion for the moment is to leave your D-Link device connected and left alone for as long as possible and see if the connection improves further.

I wouldn't say there is anything in particular to report to TalkTalk at this stage.
Pages: [1] 2