Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Home Hub type A vs B  (Read 1313 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BT Home Hub type A vs B
« on: September 29, 2020, 10:12:35 PM »

I read in an ebay advert something about a BT Home Hub “type A” or “type B”. A Home Hub is a wireless modem-router, so I have read. But what is “type X” all about?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:25:12 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT Home Hub type A vs B
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:01:06 AM »

The "Type A" would be the originally released version. The "Type B" would be marketed as a new "improved" version of the same model. Quite likely with different features (like the diameter of the PSU's barrel plug) and obvious physical fixes, which should have been "ironed out" before the "Type A" was released.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 03:08:10 AM »

They usually have different chipsets in my experience.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »

Type A and Type B are simply just different manufacturers of the hub. I believe they have different chipsets and the GUIs vary slightly.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »

Type A and Type B are simply just different manufacturers of the hub. I believe they have different chipsets and the GUIs vary slightly.

That was certainly the case with the HomeHub 5. The type A was Lantiq based and the type B Broadcom. BT seem to bring out two 'types' for most of their home kit. I assume this is to ensure there aren't supply issues if one manufacturer has problems?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »

@ Weaver. I see other replies have discussed type A and B but ignored your actual question. In what context have you seen Home Hub type X? Perhaps it just means that the type does not matter and either an A or a B would be acceptable.

However having just searched there is or was a Smart Hub X which was a G.Fast compatible. I believe this has been replaced by the Smart Hub 2.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/01/uk-isp-bt-launch-new-smart-hub-x-router-g-fast-broadband.html

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 11:09:10 AM »

Sorry, I should have put the X in quotes or something; I meant A or B. I started thinking about it because of another thread where the PSU requirement was discussed.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »

We didn't ignore the question, we knew what was meant. Yes, I think the PSUs are different also.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 04:15:08 PM »

I must have misunderstood the question, I guess Weaver was just asking the differences between the A and B types. I was under the impression that type X had been seen somewhere.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 05:16:30 AM »

I must have misunderstood the question, I guess Weaver was just asking the differences between the A and B types. I was under the impression that type X had been seen somewhere.

Not just you, I thought that was what he was asking too.

But simply put, all router manufacturers have a habit of changing the internal hardware over time (or even regions) without renaming the model, sometimes it will be completely different hardware.  It does seem dumb, but basically in their mind the models are "comparable" even when in reality they can even have more or less RAM, slower/faster SoC, smaller/larger NAND, so really should be different models in their own right.

BT just happen to name it this way when its what they consider to be feature "comparable", rather than increasing the number, but to show they are different internally when the outer casing looks identical.

The most obvious reason why they need to do so is of course the PSU connectors and ratings are often different (the former likely to make your average person double check as if they had both they would assume they are interchangeable, as people do).

Of course other manufacturers like Zyxel have that letter on the end and are more prone to changing the case too so you can see at a glance its different.

There is also the fact any changes to the hardware have to pass the FCC tests, AFAIK you can't change anything beyond maybe component brands without needing it testing to meet regulatory requirements again.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:27:15 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 01:26:34 PM »

Sorry about the ambiguity. I have altered the title of the original post, after the horse has bolted.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 03:36:02 PM »

But simply put, all router manufacturers have a habit of changing the internal hardware over time (or even regions) without renaming the model, sometimes it will be completely different hardware.

A horrible practice.
Bait and switch is a term that comes to mind.

I recall Kingston doing a bait and switch with their V300 SSD's, switching from synchronous to a slower asynchronous NAND.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 04:35:29 PM »

Sorry about the ambiguity. I have altered the title of the original post, after the horse has bolted.

. . . and I have pawed the relevant button to propagate that change to all the posts to this topic.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.