Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A VDSL WAN 1500 MTU size how?  (Read 1627 times)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
Zyxel VMG8924-B10A VDSL WAN 1500 MTU size how?
« on: September 02, 2020, 12:32:49 AM »

I flashed 8x24-B10A-28-jumbo-tel-x6-stats1.1-cmd.bin but how do I set MTU to 1500 here:

I can only set 1492 max or am I missing something?

Is it already set to 1508 behind the scenes by default even though the web interface doesn't show it?

https://github.com/johnson442/custom-zyxel-firmware/blob/master/README.md
1508 MTU 'baby' jumbo frames
Changes to to the ethernet driver to allow > 1500 MTU ethernet frames & changes to the PTM network driver to bring the link up with an MTU of 1508 by default.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:35:37 AM by digitalnemesis »

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A VDSL WAN 1500 MTU size how?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 02:09:20 AM »

With the zyxel running as a full router and being responsible for the PPPoE session some commands are required using telnet to get full 1500 byte packets.

The changes to the firmware were primarily to enable 1508 frames in bridge mode when using a separate router.

I tried last year to automate the process when using them as full routers, but of the two people who tried the modification neither had positive results, you can read about it in this message in the jumbo frames thread:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21273.msg392603.html#msg392603

Its been a while since I have tried it, but from the above post the only command required when running the modified firmware should be:
Code: [Select]
ifconfig ppp2.1 mtu 1500

If this command works, but you would like it to be persistent and dont mind debugging a little we could try out a new firmware with the simple script from that post.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
Re: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A VDSL WAN 1500 MTU size how?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 03:17:15 AM »

With the zyxel running as a full router and being responsible for the PPPoE session some commands are required using telnet to get full 1500 byte packets.

The changes to the firmware were primarily to enable 1508 frames in bridge mode when using a separate router.

I tried last year to automate the process when using them as full routers, but of the two people who tried the modification neither had positive results, you can read about it in this message in the jumbo frames thread:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,21273.msg392603.html#msg392603

Its been a while since I have tried it, but from the above post the only command required when running the modified firmware should be:
Code: [Select]
ifconfig ppp2.1 mtu 1500

If this command works, but you would like it to be persistent and dont mind debugging a little we could try out a new firmware with the simple script from that post.

Unfortunately that command made websites timeout or load very slowly except some.

Not sure why it doens't work well on my connection. Anyway I reverted back to 1492 by reapplying the VDSL settings.

P.S. Many thanks for this custom firmware, the built-in stats are very useful! :)