Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How long till service is live? - Virgin media  (Read 1147 times)

Shakermaker

How long till service is live? - Virgin media
« on: August 31, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »

Good morning,

Virgin media have recently finished cableing my street and was wondering how long it takes to go live?

We have a grey cab at the top of the street and it's been a few weeks now since they finished but the website still says not available in my area and I have also called them and they can't give me an answer.

Done plenty of searching on google etc but struggling to find any answers.

Just wondering what other people's experiences are with a similar situation?

Thank you.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: How long till service is live? - Virgin media
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »

They tend to turn whole areas on in 1 go.

When they did my area last year they spent about 6 months covering the whole town before they allowed anyone to order.

So the properties they passed 1st had a few months wait from being complete to being able to order.

The final streets they did still had trenches in the pavements and no fibre yet installed in the pavement when they enabled ordering.
By the time they came to activate the lines (around 2 weeks later) the work was completed

So it could be a few days or it could be a few months.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »

My experience was the same, they tend to turn on larger areas in one go, and with us there was a problem at the local hub which supplied the whole area.

Support won't have a clue, it's a case of computer says no and that's that. We was lucky as CLOKent signed up on here, and I'm pretty certain that stands for Customer Liaison Officer, but she hasn't been active on here for over a year.

There's a build thread on here which tracks the build which started in April 2017, and I think I actually got connected in April 2018, and some build is still going on now.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:59:46 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Shakermaker

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 09:25:28 AM »

Yeah I had a walk yesterday and there is still work being done a few streets away so hopefully won't be too long as the dilema I have is my Sky contract ran out last month so I've lost my discounts and paying over the odd's.

Ah well is what it is I suppose.

Thanks for the replies  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »

Didn't realise they were still expanding the network.  Was annoyed they never did my 1/3 of the road and they show no signs of changing their minds about it.  I'm probably less than 300m from the nearest cabinet.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors