Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newbie problem: Please help :P  (Read 4290 times)

Odifassa

• Just arrived
Newbie problem: Please help :P
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »

Hi, i'm sorry to say that I am not quite up to speed with the things I have been reading on this fine website, but i'll try and post as much information as I can.

I had a pipex MAX connection activated 3 months ago, allegedly I could reach speeds of up to 4.5 mbps. The moment my router synced it read 384k downstream, 484k upstream. I was using an E-Tec ADSL 2+ router at the time. I called pipex dozens of times and they couldn't work out a fault so I bought a Netgear DG834G V3 and hooked it up, same synch speed. I tried using several different filters, I've connected my router to the test socket with and without filters, there are no other active sockets in my house.
           Last week a BT engineer came over and spent 3 hours fiddling with cables e.t.c. but could find nothing, we tried an ADSL faceplate but nothing would increase the sync speed. He told me my profile was set to 2mb. After a few more tests he found that my noise margin dropped as soon as I plugged in my equipment (i'm sorry to say I still am not sure what this means.) he then got a speedtouch modem (not sure of the model sorry :S) and we hooked it up to my PC and suddenly it connected at 2mb, ran a speed test on ADSL uk and it was true, I even downloaded a test file at 130k a second. (I can currently only download at 29k/s tops.) so claiming it was fixed he left. So I then get a speedtouch modem it synced at 2mb but its true speed was 292k down 312 up, I tried a D-link 200 modem and the same results.

So now I have no idea what to do, why my routers and modems arent working even on an ADSL faceplate and why my noise margin drops when I plug in my gear.

ANy help would be appreciated im dying here :)

This is my current reading on the Netgear DG834G v3 plugged into the test socket using a BT microfilter the engineer left.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 384 kbps 352 kbps
Line Attenuation 39 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 4 db 6 db

Oh and one more thing, don't know if it helps but im roughly 2500 meters from the High Wycombe exchange.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 12:37:29 PM by Odifassa »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Newbie problem: Please help :P
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 01:08:01 PM »

Hi Odifassa, welcome to the forum.

First, you should understand that, because you have been syncing at a low speed like 384 kbps,  your IP profile will be set at a correspondingly low level, and this will throttle your connection even if you re-sync at a higher speed. You need to consistently sync at the higher speed for three days or more before the IP profile will increase to allow higher download speeds.

When you say that a Speedtouch modem synced at 2 Mbps but its 'true speed' was 292 kbps, what this means is that the IP profile was still throttling the line. You should choose a modem (or preferably a router) which syncs at the higher speed, then keep it installed and after three days the speed should pick up.

I'm still puzzled as to why the DG834 performs so badly, but I guess it might just be a faulty one. I would be tempted to send it back for a refund.

Eric
  Eric

Odifassa

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 04:23:02 PM »

The problem is that the modem the BT engineer used synched at a true 2meg with 2 meg speeds however mine synchs at 2meg without the true speed? I checked with BT and my BRAS profile is set at 2meg still despite the fact my router has been synching at a much lower speed... I'm so confused, im going to borrow another DG834G tonight and see whether it is a coincidence that I have 4 bits of duff kit or not.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 04:27:20 PM by Odifassa »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »

I'm afraid I'm completely baffled then. If your IP profile is still at 2 Mbps after syncing at much lower speeds, then something isn't working the way it's supposed to. Where did you get the information that your profile is still set at 2 Mbps?

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 12:25:27 AM »

>> IP profile is still at 2 Mbps after syncing at much lower speeds, something isn't working the way it's supposed to.

Bit confused too.  The information provided by roseway is correct. ???

>> Where did you get the information that your profile is still set at 2 Mbps?

Have you tried doing a BT performance test which should tell you?
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Odifassa

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 01:02:46 PM »

The BT engineer called his helpdesk who confirmed the prilfe rate at 2meg, I tried a second Netgear DG834G V3 last night and got this:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 384 kbps 384 kbps
Line Attenuation 39 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 3 db 7 db

The BT test site however confirmed this

IP profile for your line is - 283 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 384 kbps(UP-STREAM)  384 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 188 kbps

Now the problem is that I cant get any of 3 routers to synch any higher but I can get a modem to, but I share the connection with three other people so switching to a modem and keeping it synched for 3 days doesn't sound good and even then if I buy another different router and it synchs the same way as the others will it drop my profile again? Has anyone any idea why 3 routers would all synch at 484k and below whereas a 6 year old Speedtouch USB modem would claim to sync at 2.9 mbps? and lastly how the BT engineers modem synched at 2.5mbps and actually worked at that speed, but directly after he left my speedtouch modem synched at the same speed but was actually only achieving 288kbps?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 01:04:31 PM by Odifassa »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:08:18 PM »

So it looks as though one mystery is solved - the BT engineer gave you wrong information concerning your IP profile. The profile is set at 283 kbps which is a rather odd figure, but is at least consistent with the low sync speed.

So the remaining problem is why all the routers sync at such a low speed. With an attenuation of 39 dB you should be getting 4000-5000 (or more) depending on local noise conditions. Going back to your original message, the engineer said that the noise margin drops whan your equipment is plugged in. That rather suggests that there is a line fault (a high resistance fault perhaps) and maybe the old Speedtouch modem doesn't load the line so much, and therefore works a bit better, though still slower than you ought to be getting.

One thing you might check is whether picking up the phone makes any difference, and whether there is any noise in the phone when the ADSL router is on. But apart from that, I think you'll have to go back to your ISP for more action with BT.

Eric
  Eric

Odifassa

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »

Thanks for the help guys n' gals I guess i'll be raising this with BT AGAIN, I plugged a handset in today and found I could faintly hear a conversation going on, so it looks like there might be a line fault after all, I just need a BT engineer who knows what he's doing now I suppose.

One last question, can I get the engineer to raise my profile if things get fixed or do I have to do it the slow 3 day way?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 06:56:55 PM »

I don't really know the answer to the last question, but I suspect you'll have to wait. :(

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:22:29 PM »

Its a wait thing Im afraid.
The only time Ive know BTw getting incolved in the case of stuck bRAS profile.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker