Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router Recommendations  (Read 1471 times)

WifiInt

• Just arrived
Router Recommendations
« on: August 30, 2020, 10:00:15 PM »

Good evening,

I currently have a Billion 8880NL R2, which is probably 8 to 10 years old and are looking for recommendations to its replacement, my ideal router would be:-

• Cost not more than £65.00
    Compatible with Plusnet ADSL & Fibre.
    Easy to set up.
    Have a good wifi range (3 bedroom semi detached) including top end of garden.

Thanks

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Router Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »

Why replace the Billion if its working ok?

Otherwise something like a TP Link VR400 would meet your requirements:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Connections-Infinity-Archer-VR400/dp/B01LFGTEI6

Edit Go for the VR900 instead as its better than the VR400 but at the same price: (50% off)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-LINK-Archer-VR900-AC1900-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gigabit-VDSL2-ADSL2-Modem-Router/392773708484?epid=1594487947&hash=item5b73232ac4:g:HtQAAOSwgeJeosqz

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:45:43 PM by psychopomp1 »

WifiInt

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »

Why replace the Billion if its working ok?

I'm not sure it is working as well as it once did. Recently suffered a lot of disconnects and slow or jittery video calls, very frustrating as I'm a working from home.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 10:44:14 PM »

I'm not sure it is working as well as it once did. Recently suffered a lot of disconnects and slow or jittery video calls, very frustrating as I'm a working from home.
Have you tried a hard reset and reconfiguring all settings from scratch?

WifiInt

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 11:04:14 PM »

Have you tried a hard reset and reconfiguring all settings from scratch?

Router has been turned on & off several times when its lost its internet connection , don't want to reconfig from scratch as I have a lot of personal settings that I do not want to lose.  Is there any way of recording these so they can be re entered?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 11:26:14 PM »

Router has been turned on & off several times when its lost its internet connection , don't want to reconfig from scratch as I have a lot of personal settings that I do not want to lose.  Is there any way of recording these so they can be re entered?

Is there no way to save a backup router settings file to your PC and then import this into the router after you've factory reset it? Nearly every router I've used offers this feature. Otherwise take screenshots of every setting page and print these out. Bit of a faff I know but could save you money by not having to buy new kit. I would only buy a new router as a last resort.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 11:35:41 AM »

I would have thought that the source of the problems is the line or isp network not the Billion, no?