Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Split From: Openreach FTTC Target SNR 3dB reduced Bras IP Profile to 92.64%  (Read 3977 times)

chuffer

Would somebody please recommend a Router/Modem to be able to carry out reducing the SNR as in the post.
I would also like more data from it re connection status etc.

Briefly...

I have good sync but low throughput.
Using a Varity of speed test sites 19dB Up but mid 60's dB Down
Those that show Latency/Buffer bloat currently, good down but high up.
In the past the down has been in the 6000's

My HH6 reports
Data rate: 20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 27577 / 88670
Noise margin: 15.6 dB / 7.5 dB
Line attenuation: 10.9 dB
Signal attenuation: 6.2 dB / 10.9 dB

I have also access to  PN Hub 1 (BT hh5) with same results.

Plusnet KDB Reports
Profile Name   0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
BRAS Line stability mostly excellent/good and very occasionally poor.(red)

The above figures are very consistent, not affected by bad weather and the connection is reliable

I have tried other computers, which at a friends show 76mB downloads !.

-----------------------------
Admin:  Post split off from https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,22086.120.html

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:59:45 PM by kitz »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

The HH5a can with OpenWRT on it, but sadly flashing it requires hardware hackery that is not for the faint of heart.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member

@Chuffer  You are already syncing at maximum 80/20 speeds with retransmission low. Attempting to reduce the SNRM will not achieve anything. Your noise margins are high because you are on a short line running at full speed.

Your throughput problem could be caused by an incorrect BT Wholesale IP profile or possibly Plusnet's own "Current Line Speed" profile which can affect some users, generally those with a Static WAN IP address.

It would be worth checking this in your member centre account. I believe its on the broadband tab.

If that is the problem, best of luck getting Plusnet to fix it. Contacting support is very hard at the moment and they are not doing much for speed faults. :no:

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

@chuffer How are you testing your throughput?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

chuffer

Thanks for your replies.
Should add, Huawei AO1 infill and some earlier issues with the migration and left in links allegedly all fixed.

Alex,
That does look a bit much for me, but thanks.

Real,
 Never seen comments before re a short line (167m) causing high noise margins.( interesting )
Should I see a 3dB on my short line ?
Is the ipprofile the same as BRAS profile ?
Current BRAS Profile (CVLAN Rate): 79672. Max attainable 89106.0, current noise margin 8db (and has been since the 8th of August)
Plusnet are very active in this fault and I do have a dedicated agent, have checked everything at their end, I do not have fixed IP ( first thing they did was switch to active )
PN have made several requests to OR the check wholesale profile etc but engineers on the ground have no access and getting it passed up the line has fallen on deaf ears.
I have had two lifts and shifts new NTE5 and several routers, PN have asked OR for a remake of the no more than 3/4 intermediate connections between house and cabinet, which they have refused to do, but have done the easy ones at both ends a few times.
Currently, as you say BT/OR are not dealing with speed faults.

Jelv,
Using several browsers, computers and a range of well known available test sites. ( I could list them if you wish ) and as in first post, taking the laptop to a friend on BT 80/20, HH6 and a 250m line it gets good downloads across the board around the 76mB mark, so it looks like the computer and browser are good.
My tests have been carried out with the router at the master socket and all internal wiring disconnected and always with a wired connection, no difference seen.

General................... 
I find it very intriguing that speed tests report good download latency but sometimes poor upload with errors, but poor speeds down but very good up !, the lag at the desktop is very noticeable.

We have seen occasional RED line errors but these are not consistent and never there when OR arrive 2 days later.
-------------
KDB Test Outcome   Fail
Test Outcome Code   GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description           Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location   CE
Sync Status           In Sync
Downstream Speed   79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed   20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required  Y
Fault Report Advised     Y
-------
PN agent previous comments...........
It's got to be a problem with the phone line, big enough to consistently restrict your throughput but small enough that it only very occasionally is evident on testing, as it was on Sunday with the significantly increased error rate. The window for getting an engineer out is too small.

j0hn

• Kitizen

There are 2 noise margins (SNRM's).
There's the target margin set by the DLM and there's the actual/current noise margin.
Line stats from modems report the current SNRM and not the target SNRM.

The default target SNRM is 6dB.
Lines that don't reach maximum sync can have a lower target noise margin set (as low as 3dB) to try increase sync.

As you are hitting the maximum sync you have "spare" SNRM.
If there wasn't an 80Mb limit your line would sync at 88Mb at 6dB SNRM.

Basically a line will only have a current SNRM that matches the target SNRM if the line is syncing at its maximum.
Any line syncing lower than its potential will have a higher current SNRM than what the target SNRM is.
This is "spare" SNRM.

If the DLM was to put you on a 3dB target SNRM you would simply have a higher maximum data rate.
As it would still be capped at 80Mb you would still have a high current SNRM.

The higher the current SNRM, the more stable a line will run.

Your line is running as good as it can. A lower SNRM would make it less stable.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:42:46 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chuffer

Thanks jOhn.

Anybody able please to pass any comment re the possibility of a copper fault being responsible given the intermittent results ?.

BRAS Line stability mostly excellent/good and very occasionally poor.(red)

The BT speed tester fails ( as it does for so many ) so I can't see what my current IPprofile is.

Or any other questions I might answer ?.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

A copper fault would show an increase in errors and potentially re-syncs.  Seems unlikely given how clean your line is showing.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

parkdale

• Reg Member

I think my Fritzbox has gone overboard with Snr margins ??? ;D
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

chuffer

Thanks for the replies.

Would somebody like to pass a comment at this speed test result ?.

https://i.speedof.me/200826135341-563

It appears to me that the download, in particular, is interrupted as though it is being traffic managed and limited.

Anybody like to recommend another tester graphing like this ?.

If I were to replace my HH6 would the additional stats possible help identifying my fault ?.

As in the post of Johnson, twinkletoes & adslmax, what are they using ?.

What else is available from parkdale's Fritxbox 3490 ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

[Duplicate posting removed - roseway]
  Eric

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

In my experience speedof.me is a crap speedtest site and results like that are normal as its the starting/stopping of the different speed tests.

The only ones that I use are fast.com, dslreports.com/speedtest and speedtest.net.  Always use several, so you get an average and do not get caught up on any single test showing lower than expected values.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member

Yes I agree that Speedof.me is probably one of the worst speed tests, just ignore it.

chuffer

Would still like to know what routers Johnson, twinkletoes & adslmax, are using please ?.

I am using 7 test sites, all give a bit of different info, some are quicker than others but in general the throughput down is mid 50 to 60mB and the up 18/20 mB, it's not unusual for the speedof.me to be the slowest.

Here are two tests, the first from a friend on BT a HH6 and 80/20 and about 240Mtrs cable.

https://i.speedof.me/200827215455-582

This is mine, also on a HH6 and 80/20 and 167 Mtrs.

https://i.speedof.me/200826135341-563

I would appreciate any comments.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen

Seems suspect to me that it thinks your friend can hit 79Mbit when the IP profile will be lower than that.

I assume you've tried a different web browser?

It also seems speedof.me only tests single-threaded speeds, other speedtests do both single and multiple.  So its possible you are having single-thread speed issues, Thinkbroadband test files are usually a good way to test that yourself.
Pages: [1] 2 3