Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC/FTTP Migration  (Read 1554 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
FTTC/FTTP Migration
« on: August 30, 2020, 12:10:40 PM »

I know there have been quite a few recent posts on the subject, trying to clarify my understanding on a few points.

My son is with BT VDSL-2 FTTC 80/20 service currently and has just signed up for FTTP, had been offered a "same price" deal a few weeks ago but held out for a better deal closer to the offers for new customers, a compromise has been agreed, not totally sure of the full details but he is happy with the deal even though he currently achieves close to full 80/20 synch on a Huawei DSLAM subject to the usual line cross talk issues.

His line in underground feed to a detached house, master socket at the rear of the hallway on an internal stone partition wall, about the middle of the house, no visable external junction boxes on the property.
Questions:
1/. Is the fibre feed likely to be taken to the current master socket point considering this is not on an external wall, if not what are the logistics likely to be ?
2/. What hardware do OR currently supply/install, one box/two box setup ?
3/. Will stat's monitoring be possible with the OR supplied hardware ?
4/. Will it still be possible to use a suitable third party router (if such a unit is available) with view to monitoring line stat's ?
5/. Is line stat's monitoring a "thing of the past" and not necessary with FTTP service even for "geeks" ?
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC/FTTP Migration
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »

There's no stats to monitor on FTTP. The ONTs are locked anyway.

You get an ONT from OpenReach and whatever router the ISP provide.
You won't know if it's going to be a Nokia ONT or Huawei ONT until the engineer brings the ONT (unless you ask a neighbour on the same PON what they have).
The Vendor must match the other end of the link.

He can use a 3rd party router with BT FTTP.
However if they put him on Digital Voice he would need to use their hub to make and receive landline calls.

You can choose where you want the ONT installed (within reason).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »

@j0hn:

Many thanks for the reply and information.
BT did mention when ordering that there would likely be a junction box fitted externally, the install is planned for approx 2 weeks time, mid Sept. so will have to wait and see what happens.

As to the previous BT "price match" offer mentioned earlier, on further investigation this came with a lot of strings attached, had to sign up for additional packages he didn't want, TV or sports which was not included in the quotation of course, has settled for a £3/month increase for the 150/30 package from his existing FTTC/phone 80/20 package.

You won't know if it's going to be a Nokia ONT or Huawei ONT until the engineer brings the ONT (unless you ask a neighbour on the same PON what they have).

FTTP only became available at the location very recently and he's not aware of any neighbours who have converted as yet, again, will have to wait and see what OR/BT supply.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 11:30:53 PM »

BT did mention when ordering that there would likely be a junction box fitted externally, the install is planned for approx 2 weeks time, mid Sept. so will have to wait and see what happens.

I am confident that will be an external customer splice point (CSP).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »

Hi

5/. Is line stat's monitoring a "thing of the past" and not necessary with FTTP service even for "geeks" ?

Yes it is a thing of the past.  FTTP either works or it doesn't, when it works you always get the line speed you have paid for without any variability for distance or line quality, that is the beauty of FTTP.  Whilst it is possible to monitor fibre and see some stats, such as error rates and attenuation, these stats are completely locked away by Openreach and can't be seen by us.

Monitoring might still be useful further up the network stack, for example using Thinkbroadbands quality monitor to check for packet loss or congestion, but this is really monitoring the ISPs network and not the actual physical fibre connection.

I raised the question a while ago about us "geeks" used to monitoring and tinkering our VDSL/ADSL connections to see who might miss it given the number years we've done it with xDSL and it seems none of us will miss it  :)Who's on FTTP, how is the reliability, are we missing xDSL?

Currently I'm 9 months in with FTTP, the ONT under the stairs has been powered on all that time continuously completely untouched by me.

Regards

Phil

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »

@PhilipD:

Many thanks for the reply.
Yes, I did follow your recent post with interest, would certainly pleed guilty to being a xDSL stat's "geek", have monitored my line, son's and daughter's VDSL-2 lines on a 24/7 basis for quite a few years back to MDWS days, having an electronics/data work background have always found the technology facinating.
I also spent most of my latter working life away from home so found the ability to monitor the performance and spot any issues with the family BB systems to be very useful.

FTTP service for my line is not likely to be an option in the near future living in a low density population area and being quite a distance from the PCP/DSLAM cabinets, will have to be content with 40/10 service which to be honest meets my needs at present.

So, come mid Sept. that will be one less line to monitor and a reduntant RPi Zero W. 

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 06:21:46 PM »

@PhilipD:

the ONT under the stairs has been powered on all that time continuously completely untouched by me.

I take it that the connection between the ONT and the router is standard ethernet (RJ-45 connectors) ?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 07:10:08 PM »

Hi

@PhilipD:

I take it that the connection between the ONT and the router is standard ethernet (RJ-45 connectors) ?

Yes just standard Ethernet RJ45.  The router will log into the ISP network using PPPoE. You can disconnect the Ethernet cable or reboot the router and it will just create the connection again and the ONT doesn't usually ever need to be rebooted.  You can also connect a PC directly to the ONT and create a PPPoE connection for testing, for example speed issues and to rule out your own router.

Regards

Phil