Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TBB BQM Not Working  (Read 3327 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
TBB BQM Not Working
« on: August 30, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »

Since changing my VDSL-2 40/10 service hardware setup a few weeks ago the TBB BQM is not working.
Previous setup, ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A in modem/router configuration, one box setup.
New setup, ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A in modem only mode, ZyXEL VMG3925-B10B in router mode, 2 box setup.
Have a static external IP address from my ISP Plusnet.

Have set the appropriate "ping enable" settings on the VMG3925-B10B router as per the previous settings on the VMG1312-B10A when it was in modem/router service.

Funny thing is, after deleting and re-configuring BQM monitor on TBB site it will work for a short period of time, a few hours before reverting to full "red" ping failure again.
Have not posted a query on the TBB site forum as yet.
Any suggestions welcomed.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

PhilipD

• Reg Member
Re: TBB BQM Not Working
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 09:43:00 AM »

Hi

When I had a ZyXEL I had the same issue and back then it was related to the routers firewall and Denial of Service attack protections.  The Thinkbroadband number of pings a minute was the same as the trigger to ban the IP address sending them, so depending on the exact timings, the pings were hitting and just avoiding the trip, then as timings drifted a little bit they always tripped the denial of service attack counter and started being blocked.

Here we are, found my original post https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17124.msg314646.html#msg314646

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »

@PhilipD:

Many thanks for the forum links, had missed these likely because the topic is quite a few years old.
It's not absolutely clear if the reference in the posts refer to the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A or D model, very different units, as stated earlier, I certainly never had an issue with 1312-B10A unit with respect to BQM operation when in modem/router service with the particular FW I was using, believed to be the latest revision available.

I have deliberately not loaded the latest FW on my 3925-B10B router as it incorporated a new GUI which I don't like and BusyBox command line access was also blocked, this could possibly be a factor with the BQM ping issue.

Will work through the other options suggested and see if this will provide a solution.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 03:26:44 PM »

Worked through all the suggested solutions as per the forum links kindly provided by PhilipD, this solution:
# iptables -I INPUT 1 -s 80.249.99.0/24 -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT
was the only one to produce the desired result with my particular setup.

As stated by the originator, the iptable addition is unlikely to survive a router re-boot, have not actually checked, will just have to remember to re-program in the future.
At least with the 3925-B10B being in router only service and running on a UPS won't have to annoy DLM should a re-boot requirement arise.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 07:55:41 AM »

I have deliberately not loaded the latest FW on my 3925-B10B router as it incorporated a new GUI which I don't like and BusyBox command line access was also blocked, this could possibly be a factor with the BQM ping issue.

Both mine came with the new UI and do we really need BusyBox access anyway?

Then again if the old UI is whats on the 1312, I prefer the new one, not that I particularly like either.

Although the key issue for me is when I tried using 5Ghz on the new firmware, the box wasn't very stable.  Not a problem as I bought them as modems, but I had to test it out of curiosity.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:29:37 AM »

Both mine came with the new UI and do we really need BusyBox access anyway?

Granted, in my current setup with the 3925-B10B in router mode I obviously harvest my line stats via RPi from the 1312-B10A modem, however, I prefer that capability to be available should I have to change to modem/router service at any time.

Could I have implemented the BQM fix as described in previous post without Telnet access ?

Then again if the old UI is whats on the 1312, I prefer the new one, not that I particularly like either.

Matter of personal preference I suppose, yes, the old GUI is the same as the 1312-B10A, my preference.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 10:03:17 PM »

You still have access to dsl stats on the new firmware though, via their limited cli or the custom web interface.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 10:57:46 AM »

Quote from tiffy:
Worked through all the suggested solutions as per the forum links kindly provided by PhilipD, this solution:
# iptables -I INPUT 1 -s 80.249.99.0/24 -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -j ACCEPT
was the only one to produce the desired result with my particular setup.

BQM still working perfectly after a week of service, good solution.
Have not yet had occasion to try a router re-boot to positively establish if the fix remains active, would not expect this to be the case.