Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 4G Mini-Hub Experiment  (Read 6449 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
4G Mini-Hub Experiment
« on: August 29, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »

Just over 2 weeks ago when the net was down due to Edinburgh being knocked out , BT kindly sent me a mini 4g hub which arrived long after the net was back on so never really looked at it , then a couple of days ago got a message saying they would be turning off the mini hub as my internet was back on > So I quickly started it and connected to it to see what it would do  :) , What a shock  :o my superfast broadband is normally around 2.5-3mbps ( eat your heart's out  :P ) this tiny wee hub was giving me 18.5  :o shame there's not unlimited deal on 4g  :'( .

[Moderator edited to adjust the subject line of this topic.]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 03:13:10 PM by burakkucat »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: 4G Mini-Hub Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »

There is unlimited deals, I just looked on EEs website and unlimited is £35, which you could probably find a better deal or cash back on, Three also do much cheaper unlimited sims, but you'd need to check reception - sat in bed on my phone I currently get 131/30Mbps, but I am less than 1000 meters from the mast.

I suggest you have a read here https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband.html

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »

There is unlimited deals, I just looked on EEs website and unlimited is £35, which you could probably find a better deal or cash back on, Three also do much cheaper unlimited sims, but you'd need to check reception - sat in bed on my phone I currently get 131/30Mbps, but I am less than 1000 meters from the mast.

I suggest you have a read here https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband.html
Thanks for that I couldn't find much  :-[ it would have to be EE or BT as that's the local mast which we are in direct line of site :) , I moved the mini router around and it seems to have a strong signal all over the house

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 03:14:47 PM »

. . . BT kindly sent me a mini 4g hub which arrived long after the net was back on so never really looked at it . . .

Just for interest -- what is the make/model of that 4G mini-hub, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 08:11:22 PM »

the only markings ( other than BT ) are BT70-2ABTGB4

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 08:22:28 PM »

Thank you. So the maker is still a mystery.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »

Thank you. So the maker is still a mystery.
Say's made in China :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 09:17:27 PM »

I see that there are a few advertised on eBay and that someone is providing an unlocking service - the implication being that the mini-hubs are locked to BT in their default state.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »

I see that there are a few advertised on eBay and that someone is providing an unlocking service - the implication being that the mini-hubs are locked to BT in their default state.
Aye it's a very neat little thing

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »

Id test some other networks too if I were you just in case, you can get Three 12 month unlimited for £18 a month.

Good way to test the Three network is to get a cheap smarty sim and cancel after a month, and If you dont like contracts then you can get an unlimited smarty sim for £20.

Also If your area is rural the odds are that that EE mast is a Three mast too.

The mast that serves me is a Three/EE mast and I get 50-100 during daytime and can get 140 at like 3am.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »

Id test some other networks too if I were you just in case, you can get Three 12 month unlimited for £18 a month.

Good way to test the Three network is to get a cheap smarty sim and cancel after a month, and If you dont like contracts then you can get an unlimited smarty sim for £20.

Also If your area is rural the odds are that that EE mast is a Three mast too.

The mast that serves me is a Three/EE mast and I get 50-100 during daytime and can get 140 at like 3am.
cheers I'll look into it , I am in a very rural area we don't have much choice of providers :(

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »

Looking at the MAC addresses on some of the eBay ones they appear to be made by TCT mobile Ltd, whoever they are.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »

The thing with 4G is when it works well, it can be very fast, but when it works bad it can be practically unusable for anything other than basic web browsing.

Its basically a lottery of how many people are using your local tower and how well the network are managing congestion.

Still, if you only get 2-3Mbit normally with no option for faster, its useful.  I just wouldn't 100% rely on it personally.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 09:40:42 AM »

The thing with 4G is when it works well, it can be very fast, but when it works bad it can be practically unusable for anything other than basic web browsing.

Its basically a lottery of how many people are using your local tower and how well the network are managing congestion.

Still, if you only get 2-3Mbit normally with no option for faster, its useful.  I just wouldn't 100% rely on it personally.
That's why it's tempting I do only get 2-3Mbit and it's a very rural location so can't see much demand on it . If I find a good deal when my BT contract ends I may give it a go :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 09:00:29 AM »

Of course the beauty with 4G is its easy enough to get a SIM card and give it a trial on a PAYG basis.  The only catch being making sure you have an unlocked device to test it with.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2

anything