Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Openreach - Three activations missed due to Routing Issue  (Read 9372 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Openreach - Three activations missed due to Routing Issue
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »

Despite the high sync rate and low attenuation only seen speeds of about 49Mbps as highest so far downstream and normally hovering around the 42-43Mbps (ethernet) which is pretty disappointing when you are syncing double that almost. Is that an ISP thing, cabinet/exchange thing, peak time thing, or something else?

I have a guaranteed minimum download speed of 61Mbps, so if it stays like this Sky will be giving me some free months!

Hmm . . . I'm not too sure what has occurred. I wonder if Sky have had you provisioned on the Openreach 55/10 Mbps product?  :-\

Give it two days. For in terms of the Openreach product, the circuit should be operating "wide open" for the first 24 hours from provision then, once one day's worth of circuit statistics have been gathered by the DLM process, it should then auto-configure to what Openreach product the ISP (Sky, in your case) has ordered.

Something about Sky is niggling away at the back of my mind but I can't focus onto it. Perhaps j0hn or A.N.Other will be able to assist?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Freedom2

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2020, 09:59:51 PM »

It's fine now, pulling 74Mbps as we speak. Must have been congestion I'd imagine.

Now I just have to sort out the poor speeds upstairs with some better booster, but alas that is for another thread!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2020, 10:25:27 PM »

It's fine now, pulling 74Mbps as we speak.

Ah, good.

However the circuit does need its complete 24 hours of up-time since being provisioned before the DLM process takes an interest. So do not be concerned if there is just one re-train once 24 hours have elapsed. Think of it as the VDSL2 link "having a cough to clear its throat".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2020, 09:12:29 AM »

It's fine now, pulling 74Mbps as we speak. Must have been congestion I'd imagine.

Now I just have to sort out the poor speeds upstairs with some better booster, but alas that is for another thread!

Purely for info .... but the amount of times I've seen the customer plug a wi-fi extender ('booster') in the same room that they struggle to get broadband in, is countless !!

The key is to use your laptop/phone and walk towards the 'weak signal area' in the house, when the signal starts to drop that's where you plug the extender in.

Not for one minute assuming you have done this Freedom2, but thought it worth mentioning for any others looking in. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2020, 09:19:21 AM »

Great news on finally getting connected  :yay: Isn't it impressive seeing how support can really work, if only it was like that all the time, and you didn't have to go through all the pain and hassle previously, and in your case the initial problems with HLC as well.

Now did they put you on the Huawei cabinet? If so you're download speeds should eventually reach maximum given your current sync.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2020, 09:25:02 AM »

Looking at the port usage of both vendors, I would say he has indeed been put on Huwaei.  :)

Freedom2

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »

I have the Sky Box and the router near the back of the house downstairs whereas where I am working from is the front of the house upstairs. The previous set-up was to have a booster in the middle of the house on top of a cabinet which was about half way which needs to obviously go through the ceiling which probably loses it a lot of speed.

That was fine on ADSL2+ as it was pulling just as much as standing downstairs next to the router but we've hit a brick wall. The room I'm in does seem to be worst in the house, but moving the booster closer to here just makes the connection to the TV box downstairs a little flaky even if it slightly improves the broadband and my mini box TV drops out now when streaming HD from box downstairs.

I'm going to borrow some powerline adaptors this weekend to see how well they work, since the corner where the desk is in the 'office' seems to be in pretty much the worst space in the whole room for signal so if I can sort that with powerline the rest of things can cope fine as they are.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2020, 01:41:40 PM »

I'm going to borrow some powerline adaptors this weekend to see how well they work, since the corner where the desk is in the 'office' seems to be in pretty much the worst space in the whole room for signal so if I can sort that with powerline the rest of things can cope fine as they are.

I'd hold off on the powerline, they can cause interference with VDSL and with it being so early I wouldn't want to risk the line getting banded.  At the very least, make sure they have a VDSL mode which is supposed to avoid using the same frequencies.

Is there no possibility of adding a physical ethernet cable from your booster back to the router?  Its a hassle, but its the only guaranteed way to get the speed and stability.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »

Great news it finally got sorted out.  Normal users as has been said wouldnt get this network rearrangement, I think this happened because a planned rearrangement earlier wasnt done properly.

I also agree with Alex on not using powerline networking.  I would try to resolve that issue with high end wifi instead.  Ethernet of course is always the way to go if possible.

Freedom2

« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2020, 02:37:43 PM »

I'd hold off on the powerline, they can cause interference with VDSL and with it being so early I wouldn't want to risk the line getting banded.  At the very least, make sure they have a VDSL mode which is supposed to avoid using the same frequencies.

Is there no possibility of adding a physical ethernet cable from your booster back to the router?  Its a hassle, but its the only guaranteed way to get the speed and stability.

No, there's no chance as it would need to go through two walls. I have tried moving the booster around but essentially there are trade offs with doing that. I've been unable to move the booster to a place so far where it gives a reliable Sky Q TV service and also a decent wifi signal to the office area.

As stated previously I am currently at my fathers caring for him whilst he waits for the second part of major surgery delayed by COVID and running any cable in a place where it could be a trip hazard etc is a big no no.

I read about interference from Powerline adapters but it seemed to be pretty much that some people are effected by them and some people are not. Could I potentially sidestep this by moving the booster to a place where it gets a fairly good signal, but still not close to the main router, and plugging powerline into that rather than the router directly, or will that still cause interference?

I've tried the booster in two different spaces today and I've managed to get really really good connection to the mini box and in the hall (about 60-70Mbps) and two bedrooms upstairs but 15Mbps in the office. If I leave it in the current place where it's always been, I get about 30-40Mbps everywhere.

Freedom2

« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2020, 02:38:18 PM »

Great news it finally got sorted out.  Normal users as has been said wouldnt get this network rearrangement, I think this happened because a planned rearrangement earlier wasnt done properly.

I also agree with Alex on not using powerline networking.  I would try to resolve that issue with high end wifi instead.  Ethernet of course is always the way to go if possible.
What do you mean by high end WIfi, any recommendations?

Freedom2

« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2020, 03:40:53 PM »

Well I've tried some higher spec'd TP-Link Powerline adapters and running a massive download in the background and I've not seen any issues thus far in the last half an hour.

Broadband Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed (Kbps)   78224   19999
Line Attenuation (dB)   DS1:9.5    DS2:21.3    DS3:31.6   US0:5.4    US1:18.7    US2:25.6
Noise Margin (dB)   DS1:6.4    DS2:6.4    DS3:6.5   US0:9.9    US1:10.5    US2:17.5

Line attenuation is exactly the same as what it was previously and I'm seeing speeds of up to 75Mbps now upstairs in the office. I'm going to keep an eye on the line stats for the next couple of hours whilst I am working, to see if there is any drop of sync or degrading, but so far it seems that there is not much of a problem.

Is there anything I should be watching out for that all is not well? I don't have access to error counts on the Sky router, so you know, I can't use them to judge.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »

Without stats you'll just have to lookout for slowdown or it re-syncing at a slower rate.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Freedom2

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2020, 04:21:31 PM »

Yeah, that's all I can do, it's holding very well at the moment.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2020, 05:10:35 PM »

What do you mean by high end WIfi, any recommendations?

Something like this https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/bt-mini-whole-home-wi-fi which can be used with any ISP.

That's quite a cheap system but works pretty well by all accounts, BT does do higher spec versions but of course they do get more expensive, and and of course other manufacturers also have mesh systems. I thought Sky had gone over to a mesh system, as in each bit of equipment had its own Wi-Fi AP built and became a mesh.

I cover pretty much the whole of a five bedroom house with a single Edimax Pro WAP1750 located in the loft, there are a couple of rooms which don't get a good signal from that and to cover that area I have a TP Link RE450 hardwired back to my main switch.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8