Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Openreach - Three activations missed due to Routing Issue  (Read 9286 times)

Freedom2

Openreach - Three activations missed due to Routing Issue
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:59:56 PM »

Wonder if anyone can help me with an order that has been messed around by Openreach for pretty much whole of August and if they can give me any pointers

10th August
- Original activation date provided by which was missed, not totally clear why.

17th August
- Openreach claimed AM that fault between exchange and cabinet prevented work and engineer was not trained to resolve them.

18th August
- Openreach state to Sky issue between exchange and cabinet or cabinet and property, some confusion over which one this was, appears to be between cabinet and property, underground cabling fault which should be fixed by 20th Aug.

20th August
- Sky inform me that Openreach have ran into a delay and it won't be done until 24th August

24th August
- Sky confirm that Openreach have given a go-live date of 26th August which they assure will not be missed.

26th August - Fourth Activation Date Missed./
- Engineer calls to say he's switched me over to FTTC and if it doesn't work now to call my ISP
- I wasn't disconnected and am still on ADSL2+ and not FTTC and still on G992 modulation.
- Sky confirm that Openreach haven't done the work but they don't know why as no update is issued and wonder if he has done the work to the right line.

At this stage that's three activation dates that Openreach have missed and a lot of time on the phone discussing this matter. I do not know if the engineer was dishonest earlier or just plain incompetent, but it looks pretty certain that he didn't switch the line or at least the correct one.

Sky have a strong belief that they may have lost track which cabinet the line is on and activated a card that doesn't point to the line, or even have even activated the wrong line, because all of this is very odd.

This [censored] has been going on the whole month now, and is starting to get rather tiresome.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:04:59 PM by Freedom2 »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Openreach Nightmare - Four activation dates missed - help!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:52:58 AM »

The fact that you still have a working ADSL connection suggests to me that Openreach have been looking at the wrong line the whole time. Other than continuing to chase this with Sky I'm not sure what else you can do, as I don't believe Openreach will speak directly with you as it is Sky who are contracting them for this.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Freedom2

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 08:14:01 AM »

Just spoke to Sky again. Openreach claim that the appointment was missed so how could an engineer call me and they will have to rebook date.

Either I have vivid imagination or someone in Openreach is lying. Either way this is unacceptable and they show a total lack of accountability and excuse after excuse.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:23:20 AM by Freedom2 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »

Only a guess, but this smacks of a possible incorrect Cab routing ??

As the vast majority of ADSL to VDSL upgrades are a simple jumpering task in the Cab, it shouldn't take all those visits.

If the routing the engineers receive for the VDSL ties to be connected to your circuit belong to a different Cab, there are two scenario's .... 1) It goes back to have the order cancelled with good notes about which Cab to raise the VDSL ties against and raise a new order 2) If the incorrectly routed VDSL Cab is connected to the same Head End as the 'Proper to your circuit' VDSL Cab, a co-op call is made to correct the routing and work can be carried out there and then.

This is all assuming that the correct Cab does have VDSL capability and that it has spare capacity.

Freedom2

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »

According to what I can see according to the BT checker, I am on EAHAS Cabinet 1, which is literally around the corner form me, that would make sense since the whole of my road shows up as being on that cabinet. It is enabled for VDSL and the other cabinets around it are also enabled for VDSL (codelook check)

What hits me is the fact the engineer said he did work yesterday but my broadband remained connected the whole time. There was no loss of sync so either he actually did nothing or he did something to another line, or something that was not connected to my line because there was no drop whatsoever.

Saying that, I never saw a Openreach Engineer in the locality yesterday when WFH (I can virtually see the cabinet) but a friend at another place saw two Openreach engineers at another cabinet not too far away at the time that the engineer called, which woud tie in with the wrong cabinet narrative.

Openreach have now updated Sky and said the appointment was for sure missed and they apologise and have said that no engineer called me and basically accused me of lying and they will update by COB on Friday, but it's yet another delay with no endpoint in sight

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 01:56:31 PM »

The advise on Thinkbroadband was good advise, to email Clive Selley.
Explain everything and his team will organise someone to come do the job correctly.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 02:25:31 PM »

CEO letters are acted upon if certain criteria is met when picked up by the triage teams and this does smack of one of 'them times', as j0hn mentions above.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 03:04:45 PM »

Also once sorted I do think this should also qualify for some kind of compensation.  If they are saying 4 missed appointments make sure you get the payment for 4 missed appointments at a minimum.

Freedom2

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 04:01:02 PM »

I've updated the top post as Sky have gone through the notes with me today and clarified some miscommunications from their side as well. They were late placing order which was why 3rd August wasn't met, so that's their fault, not Openreach.

Latest from Openreach following an intervention is that the routing is wrong and they are "working hard" on fixing it whatever that means. Don't hold much hope of it being resolved soon.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:45:05 PM by Freedom2 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »

What hits me is the fact the engineer said he did work yesterday but my broadband remained connected the whole time. There was no loss of sync so either he actually did nothing or he did something to another line, or something that was not connected to my line because there was no drop whatsoever.

Not just that, once you are connected to a VDSL port then the E-side is filtered so only voice frequencies can get through, so the ADSL service can no longer function.  My line for example is still jumpered to ADSL back at the exchange, they leave it there for quicker migration between services.  Fortunate in your case however as if they had removed it from the exchange first, you'd be stuck with nothing.

Sadly, especially if you've never been on VDSL before, its not uncommon for Openreach to have bad records for which line comes into which jumper in the cabinet.  I've been through a similar experience and its hugely frustrating.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:09:14 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Freedom2

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 04:38:50 PM »

It is frustrating and honestly out of all the delays, yesterdays angered me the most.  When an engineer phones you up and tells you that the switch has been completed and to contact your provider if there is any issues you expect them to have done the job correctly.

Openreach's latest statement that they are 'working hard' to resolve the issue is meaningless and basically just tells you not to expect anything anytime soon.

The other thing is that when the 17th date was missed, they claim it was because the engineer was not trained to resolve underground cabling fault related to routing so it had to be resolved by someone else and seemingly it was, hence the next activation date being given.

Why then does someone rock up at the cabinet 9 days later and say that there is a routing issue? Couldn't that have been spotted when the fault was looked into initially before the activation date was re-ordered?

And honestly, for a line that has been stable for many many years, with low line noise, getting the highest upload and download sync rates possible on ADSL2+ it's a surprise they keep thinking it has so many 'faults' all of which cause absolutely no issues to the customer.....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:44:44 PM by Freedom2 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 05:06:19 PM »

It is frustrating and honestly out of all the delays, yesterdays angered me the most.  When an engineer phones you up and tells you that the switch has been completed and to contact your provider if there is any issues you expect them to have done the job correctly.

When I had the issue it ONLY got solved because an engineer turned up at the house, as he hadn't been told what the problem was I was able to explain to him EXACTLY what was going on.

Over the course of a week between me and my ISP we had discovered my line had been disconnected and incorrectly hooked up to someone else on the cabinet.  Over the weekend that customers line had been fixed, leaving mine completely disconnected in the cabinet.  :'(  (found this out as I went with the engineer to the cabinet to see what was going on)

I'd hoped things had improved, as there was clearly some serious communication issues back then where whatever notes the engineers were making were clearly not getting reported to the next engineer who turned up.

A big problem seems to be that an engineer can only do what they are assigned to do, thus why my line was left disconnected as that engineers job was only to fix the other persons line.  Kinda bizarre as you'd think it would save huge amounts of time and effort to check if there was another issue on that cabinet and fix it while you're there.

This is why when I got my second line fitted and it was below the handback threshold, I never bothered to chase it up.  I'd got visions of them simply breaking my other line.

I absolutely do not blame the engineers for this, its clearly a management issue.  Every time I've actually been able to see an engineer face to face, they've been great and the problem has been solved.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 05:09:39 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Freedom2

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 05:19:02 PM »

When I had the issue it ONLY got solved because an engineer turned up at the house, as he hadn't been told what the problem was I was able to explain to him EXACTLY what was going on.

Over the course of a week between me and my ISP we had discovered my line had been disconnected and incorrectly hooked up to someone else on the cabinet.  Over the weekend that customers line had been fixed, leaving mine completely disconnected in the cabinet.  :'(  (found this out as I went with the engineer to the cabinet to see what was going on)

I'd hoped things had improved, as there was clearly some serious communication issues back then where whatever notes the engineers were making were clearly not getting reported to the next engineer who turned up.

A big problem seems to be that an engineer can only do what they are assigned to do, thus why my line was left disconnected as that engineers job was only to fix the other persons line.  Kinda bizarre as you'd think it would save huge amounts of time and effort to check if there was another issue on that cabinet and fix it while you're there.

This is why when I got my second line fitted and it was below the handback threshold, I never bothered to chase it up.  I'd got visions of them simply breaking my other line.

I absolutely do not blame the engineers for this, its clearly a management issue.  Every time I've actually been able to see an engineer face to face, they've been great and the problem has been solved.

In my experience there is for sure communication problems.

I've been onto Sky about 10 times in the last few weeks and every time it feels like I'm banging a head against a brick wall and time after time when an engineer goes out it's like they didn't learn anything from the previous visits to help them actually resolve the issue. The fact that the first engineer went out and wasn't trained for underground cabling work didn't help things either no doubt since that required another person to go out and have a look at it.

What you'd ideally like to happen is that these complex cases are assigned to someone with the experience and skills to cover all bases. It's clearly not a straightforward issue so it needs an engineer with the experience, knowledge and skills to actually pinpoint it and do it all in the one call. The whole system of having to raise a fault, and then make another appointment for activation surely cannot help either, if when the fault was fixed, they could activate it there and then it would make a lot more sense.

The other thing is the communication between OR and the providers doesn't seem great. I've had someone who has a contact in Openreach speak to them on my behalf today. What Openreach have said conflicts with the notes they have on the actual case and both their update today via a contact and on the case notes also contradicts what the engineer said to me yesterday and what they said previously.

The fact that OR won't even commit to a timeframe or a rough one for a routing issue suggests to me they aren't really bothered. I will give them until Tuesday and I will have to drop an email to the relevant person as suggested and not accept being fobbed off.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach - Three activations missed due to Routing Issue
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 07:35:41 PM »

Fortunately, their complaints team do seem really good and get things sorted if things otherwise seem to have stalled.  Its just crazy that you ever need to take it that far.

Freedom2

Re: Openreach - Three activations missed due to Routing Issue
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 08:45:43 PM »

Fortunately, their complaints team do seem really good and get things sorted if things otherwise seem to have stalled.  Its just crazy that you ever need to take it that far.

We'll see. I've just got a call back from Sky who have said that this issue needs to be closely managed outside of the usual customer care team so it's now going to sit with their 'Customer Priority Team' because of the ongoing issues.

Hopefully that's a good sign since it suggests that I may end up dealing with people who are used to dealing with complex issues rather than just the general customer care team and hopefully they have better access to the right people in Openreach too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

anything