Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Government Launch £67m UK Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme  (Read 3582 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Government Launch £67m UK Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/government-launch-67m-uk-gigabit-broadband-voucher-scheme.html

The UK government has launched a new nationwide Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme (GBVS), which is funded by a pot of £67m and aims to provide vouchers worth up to £3000 for businesses (SME) or £500 to residents to help with the costs of connecting to “full fibre” (FTTP/H) broadband.

The GBVS scheme is said to “build on” the wider £200m Local Full Fibre Networks (LFFN) programme (we’ve been told the £67m is “new spend” from the £31bn National Productivity Investment Fund), which earlier this week allocated £95m of its funding to help stimulate commercial investment in “gigabit capable” broadband across 13 areas (mostly urban locations).

It is good to see the funding coming in to push for full fibre networks. Now we just have to get rid of the old copper lines.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Government Launch £67m UK Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 03:02:17 AM »

Just noticed that https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/ increased the value of the vouchers to £1,500 per home and up to £3,500 per SME towards the cost of being connected - from May 2019 it seems - and now specifically target rural areas.

I wonder if Weaver has looked to see if this would work for him? I assume he would qualifies for the £3.5k due to the B&B.. and/or how much the BT Community Fibre Partnership scheme would cost (especially if several neighbours combined vouchers to offset costs)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 03:13:06 AM by gt94sss2 »

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 08:39:48 AM »

Has anyone had experience with the Community Fibre Partnership scheme, approximately how many people do you need to sign up to make it economically viable / are there any more details on the scheme online?

I live in a rural area with FTTC but no fibre, my local town (Tenbury Wells) has no fibre either as far as I know (and no plans for it).  One issue where I live is that a lot of people are elderly / retired and they put up with (and pay for!) horrible connectivity so engagement might be low.

Anyone been part of a successful scheme?

C

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 10:00:25 AM »

Chunkers, you'll probably get much more information about CFP's over on Think Broadband, I've often seem people posting on there about them and getting replies.

There's some FTTP just outside your town (WR15 8HL has it amongst others) https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?tab=2&election=1#15/52.3188/-2.5994/geafttp/

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »

Chunkers, you'll probably get much more information about CFP's over on Think Broadband, I've often seem people posting on there about them and getting replies.

There's some FTTP just outside your town (WR15 8HL has it amongst others) https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/index.php?tab=2&election=1#15/52.3188/-2.5994/geafttp/

Thanks, I'll go over there and have a look

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 04:09:38 PM »

Looks like a new consumer led approach is being trialed to allow suppliers to identify areas of demand for FTTP using the voucher scheme

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/07/bduk-pilot-consumer-led-approach-to-gigabit-broadband-vouchers.html

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 02:11:52 PM »

Seems I would be eligible as I cannot get more than 100Mbps. £1500 would be a useful amount, though does say it's not valid for a single order, at least on the documentation I was looking at via Cerberus.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »

I had a look at what Leicester is spending it on, and surprise surprise, they spunking 20 million on further pedestrianising the city centre which is on its last legs and dead money.

I dont know anyone at all personally who prefers the city centre to be for pedestrians only.

Nothing on the lack of FTTP, and nothing on the local housing crisis.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 01:15:05 AM »

I had a look at what Leicester is spending it on, and surprise surprise, they spunking 20 million on further pedestrianising the city centre which is on its last legs and dead money.

I dont know anyone at all personally who prefers the city centre to be for pedestrians only.

Nothing on the lack of FTTP, and nothing on the local housing crisis.

I wish Leeds was, too many busy roads to cross.  What little I've seen of Leicester didn't seem a problem though.

Would be nice if Leicester had some disabled public toilets accessible on a Saturday.  The train station toilets were out of order and the next nearest is in the the public information place which is closed on the weekend for some baffling reason.  Had to buy a cup of tea from a pub and put up with regular grotty toilets.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 01:38:04 PM »

yeah the roads in the centre were really just used by slow moving buses for the most part and some taxis, the city centre might look a bit nicer now, but its economic performance has been downhill for many years as out of town shopping centres and online takes over, and it has also served to make it unfriendly to the disabled.

The bigger problem though is that really the city as proven with the late virus stories, has bigger problems to spend money on instead of laying some slabs in the city centre.  I just find this bizarre.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 10:14:29 AM »

These comments referring to the LFFN or something else?

Pedestrianisation has been sped up by CV19. Various roads closed and pavements extended to assist with social distancing.

The LFFN is not there to assist with FTTP and in the case of Leicester there is already CityFibre metro there so I imagine that, like my own city, it's on the list not not near the top.

Amusing my home town, the market town I grew up in, has been announced before the city of Wakefield  :D

anything