Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: No real time player  (Read 8162 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
No real time player
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:02:53 PM »

Hi,

I USED to have Real Time player on my pooter... but since it went in for the overhaul it's gorn, or at least it comes up with can't play something cos it's not there.

You may know that my techno knowledge is zilch really....well those things I'm confident with anyway.... so I want to hear the dawn chorus on the BBC website but can't listen.  It comes up with the file SAVE FIND thingy box (thingy is about as technical as I get).... so what do I do to be able to hear this and other things that I'm denied now please?

Answers on a postcard...... well... here please if you can help.

Many thanks
Chrissie  (technophobe of the year)
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

Re: No real time player
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »

Chrissie   I've been waiting for the experts to send their post cards !!!     anyway,  have you checked if Real Player is still on your Add/Remove Programme List, if not, it's gone   ...   do you have a file where you keep all your downloads ??  if it's still there as a download, you should be able to click on it to re-install it ....  then check for updates .....  If not  .....   you can download it again from here   ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/categories/plug/real/newreal.shtml?intro2

I know you need Real Player in order to listen to the BBC on line,   I do it myself   ...   anyway   ...  having a lovely time !!!!    if you're stuck or not sure just shout  ...   :)

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »

hi chrissie, can you hear any sounds at all or is it just the onlilne streaming thats missing?

Paul

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 07:25:22 PM »

I have never had Real Player on my Pc (mainly because I detest it), but I have never had any problem with accessing media content from the BBC site.  Or am I missing something?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:29:33 AM »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.  I've checked add/remove and real time isn't there and no I don't have a file where I keep downloads or not that I know of anyway. I checked in program file folders too but can't find it.   However, when I had the overhaul they deleted stuff....some of it is still in the recycle bin which he said he'd leave for me in case I needed any of it.  One of them is WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER (2) SHORTCUT.

Forgot to mention that there are a few games that won't load on the computer since the overhaul either... like a jigsaw puzzle that I do...   :(

I do have Quick Time on the task bar and in add/remove if that's relevant.  I can still hear things on the PC, videos have sound and some music from blogs but it's just the things like BBC things I can't hear so Pwiggler I guess it's the online streaming that's missing.  It comes up with you don't have real time player or something like that.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Chrissie

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 06:33:12 AM »

I have never had Real Player on my Pc (mainly because I detest it), but I have never had any problem with accessing media content from the BBC site.  Or am I missing something?

Same here, all I use is Windows Media Player 11 and I can stream BBC content fine.   :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 08:22:16 AM »

I got rid of Real Player and installed Real Alternative  but I had all sorts of problems with the BBC site -  once I reinstalled RP  -  VOILA !    Bizarre isn't it !  :'(

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »

goto http://uk.real.com/player/win/ and reinstall real player and test it 'me dear
Paul

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 09:24:08 AM »

Paul was that post for me or Chrissie  ??  if for me  I already have RP installed again and up and working !!! ....     and    'm dear     ???

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 10:50:07 AM »

sorry kate, it was for chrissie  :)
Paul

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 11:23:56 AM »

No probs  ...  :)

anything