Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Are OR Engineers supposed to wear PPE?  (Read 862 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Are OR Engineers supposed to wear PPE?
« on: August 26, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »

I was under the impression that OR engineers are supposed to wear PPE when visiting a customers house?

I noticed an OR van driving up the road and naturally I had a peek out of the curtains to see if he was stopping around here. He got out of the van, wore a blank high vis vest and walked up to the door way of a neighbour on the other side of the road. He didn't go in, and from what I can tell the work seems to be were the phone line (served by a telegraph pole) comes down from the side of the house to near the door way. So the work is just outside the front door. I was just surprised he had no PPE on.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Are OR Engineers supposed to wear PPE?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »

I was under the impression that OR engineers are supposed to wear PPE when visiting a customers house?

I noticed an OR van driving up the road and naturally I had a peek out of the curtains to see if he was stopping around here. He got out of the van, wore a blank high vis vest and walked up to the door way of a neighbour on the other side of the road. He didn't go in, and from what I can tell the work seems to be were the phone line (served by a telegraph pole) comes down from the side of the house to near the door way. So the work is just outside the front door. I was just surprised he had no PPE on.

What was, it he wasn't wearing ??

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 12:03:14 PM »

what PPE other than a high-vis would he/she need to be wearing whilst working outdoors and on the ground?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »

what PPE other than a high-vis would he/she need to be wearing whilst working outdoors and on the ground?

Simply, protective footwear.

Any working from height (even 2ft up a ladder), a hard-hat is also required.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »

@ Black Sheep,  What the rules when they need to come into someones property, with them and us ?.
eg. masks on ?
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 06:38:11 PM »

Happily, I'm no longer up to speed with that LOB regarding this issue, tickmike  ;D ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 06:43:14 PM »

Openreach was at a neighbours house last month.   They'd been complaining that their broadband kept disconnecting.   
He wasn't wearing PPE and was testing from the BT66 - he didn't enter the premises at all - and then proceeded to do something in the FP box. *

Openreach guidelines are laid out here
https://www.openreach.com/covid-19-coronavirus

*I suspect they may suffer from the same SHINE bursts I get.   If I didn't have DSLstats and know what was happening and force a reboot, then my DSL would also suffer more than it does.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »

Thanks for link, hopefully in the next month hope to get our FTTP put in which is just inside our front door, we can have the door open but I will insist they wear a mask, I will .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 12:30:05 PM »

What was, it he wasn't wearing ??

I was thinking he might have worn a face mask, for at least greeting the house holder.

I'm not having a go or anything as I've seen work people even inside houses without face masks (non-telecoms people).
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything