Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is this ECI G.INP or no?  (Read 824 times)

markg33

Is this ECI G.INP or no?
« on: August 26, 2020, 09:32:39 AM »

Hi everyone I hope you're all keeping well!

I've been somewhat keeping up with broadband stuff for a little while and wanted to see the progress of G.INP on ECI. Here in Sunderland it's dominant with a few Huawei sprinkled in.

It seems I have it! Or at least I think so. Better throughput and lower pings, I'm on a BT Smart Hub 2 so no additional stats to prove or disapprove. My current sync is the highest I've had since living here.

DSL uptime:0 days,05 Hours57 Mins20 Secs
Data rate:20 Mbps / 69.537 Mbps
Maximum data rate:23.412 Mbps / 60.077 Mbps
Noise margin:8.3 / 3.7

I just don't get how my maximum data rate is lower than my current data rate but let me know if it's the real deal. Thank you!

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Is this ECI G.INP or no?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »

It's not, no. Going by the uptime and noise margin everyone was disconnected, you reconnected before a bunch of other people so received a better sync as their lines weren't yet interfering with yours.

As they came online their interference kicked in and lowered your noise margin and maximum data rate, however as you'd already connected you keep the data rate you have now.

Next time you disconnect the DSL you'll drop to 'normal' speeds.

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »

Noise margin will keep dropping to the limit line must resync. then it will return to normal as before.

markg33

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 11:48:10 AM »

I appreciate the replies, I'm a bit disappointed but not upset. When I looked at the event logs it went down at; 03:25:17, 26 Aug.PPP: LCP down

And the rest followed after connecting up and interestingly found the initial noise margin on this line;
03:27:32, 26 Aug.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=69537kbps, Up Rate=20000kbps; SNR Margin Down=4.2dB, Up=8.4dB

The SNR Margin was 4.2dB but has stayed steady at 3.7-3.8

According to the BT IP profile/BRAS checker thing it's set at 67.31 downstream and 20 upstream. I'm probably looking into this too much and should go for a walk.

I'm going to make the most of it either way. Hopefully more lines are added to the ECI test.  :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:58:17 AM by markg33 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »

Changing from Interleaved to Fastpath shows identical changes as changing from Interleaved to G.INP.
Both give an 8ms drop in ping and a similar increase in sync.

Without detailed stats (or an ISP providing the line profile) there's no way to tell between the 2.

Fastpath to G.INP shouldn't change latency at all.

I'd say almost certainly not with your line though. The low SNRM and low max attainable looks like a DSLAM reboot.
You simply synced before other lines (crosstalkers) giving a higher sync.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 08:51:03 PM »

good insight from Carl, the low snrm indicates there was a mass of local disconnections.

Ultimately the only way to know for sure if on g.inp is either detailed modem stats or the isp providing that information.