Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: opera web browser  (Read 2798 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
opera web browser
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:12:22 PM »

I trying set up opera web browser but having difficulties with home screen and what appears in a new tab

How do I add a home button?  A search on web suggests right clicking the address bar and then 'customise'.  However this option is not showing when right clicking?

Secondly how do I get the home page and new tab to show my chosen search engine.  At present clicking new tab gives me page with google search bar and not the one I have set as default search engine.

Thanks

gom

petef

• Reg Member
Re: opera web browser
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »

When searching for info on Opera be aware that there was a major change in version 15 in 2013. There is a lot of stale advice referring to the old version.

Opera's solution for a home page is called speed dial. The button for it is four little squares. It has its own search box that does indeed default to Google but can be customized. Settings are navigable in a number of ways via menus and buttons. I tend to click on the cog wheel in the sidebar or press alt-P. Then there is a search box in the upper right. Type "search" in there and the settings will be filtered to get to choosing your search engine.

I believe that the search engine in speed dial is fixed. It is not something that I had noticed because I disable that search box and use the address bar to run all my searches. ctrl-L jumps to that and I regularly use about a dozen short form search engines queries from there.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 08:26:59 AM »

You can configure the startup home page in settings to be whatever url you prefer, but I've yet to discover how to configure new tabs to open in a specified url.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »

Thanks for your replies.

It does seem odd that there is no setting to change appearance of a new tab, all other browsers have this function.

As you say google search seems to be a fix for start page. 

I have changed home page to my search engine of choice, but can't find how to set this for a new tab.

I don't use opera all the time but have started using it more as it has build in VPN.

gom

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 12:19:48 PM »

I use Opera a lot, looking at your problem the nearest solution I can see would be "Work Spaces" you add as many as you want :fingers:

Robin
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:31:48 PM »

I noticed that you can also open all your favourite sites by adding them to a "Speed Dial Folder" when you right click they all open into separate tabs

Robin
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590